• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucvlover's m1008 the green machine.

CUCVLOVER

So I had the truck for awhile and it was county fair time. What do they have at the fair? The truck pull!!!!!!.
So I wanted to take my truck to the pull, so I called around to a couple parts places and found out how much major drive train parts cost so I would know what this pull could cost me. So we built a bar to go in the receiver plug I put on the hitch plate under the back of the truck.
I pulled 48,000lbs 209 ft. I didnt break anything which was great and this truck is complety stock.
I will post pics of the pulling bar. I don't have any video of the pull sorry.

CUCVLOVER

One of the places I love to fish is a watershed lake. Then only way I can get in is down a 2 mile goat path through the woods. The road has been worked on in last couple months but at the time of this event it was muddy and had huge washed out ruts. So me and my dad are going fishing one day and after we get back there we find a ford explorer has gotten stuck. The path that went from the a small field to the water had ruts big enough that if wet a m35a2 might have trouble with. The driver of the explorer tried to back down to the water and stay on the humps and go a straddle of the ruts but it was muddy and he slid down in the ruts. When he did the frame was on the ground and you could changed the tires without a jack. The guy says I think it just needs a little tug and if come out, well he was wrong. I hooked up my chain and strap I keep in the truck to my truck and he hooked up his end to a little tow hook in bumper. Now before I even got the chain I had to inform him that whatever he hooks his end to will come out I just don't know if the rest of the vehicle will come with it. Well I started pulling and I dragged that explorer about its own length before the tires found anything to touch.
The explorer came out with no damage, which surprised me. So the first vehicle I ever pulled out was ford and I got my good deed in for the day.

CUCVLOVER

I have been trying to keep these events in the order that they happened but please remember that this has all happened over two of having this truck so just bear with me.
Also ask any questions about anything that has happened to or with this truck and I will be happy to answer them.

Thank you all for reading

CUCVLOVER

Heater core install

Hello everyone
So this story took place last winter.
Me and my dad headed to the local store we get breakfast out and we started to engine coolant. Then we see coolant running out from under the dash onto the floor mat and under the mat from the heater box. So onto the store for breakfast then deal with this later.
So after we get home and I get time I start tearing into the heater system I had called napa and they had one in stock and my dad was going to pick it up for me. I coated the under hood nuts in wd40 but that didnt make any difference because I broke at least two of the bolts that are made into the plastic of the box inside the truck. So I finally got everything off and torn apart.
The old heater core had a hole rotted in it and I could tell it was the factory core. The new heater core I got was aluminum where as the old one is brass and not as big as the old core it came with a piece of foam that I didnt use which I should have. So I got the new heater core in place and started to reinstall everything. So I got the box where is goes and ran a couple short self tapping screws through the box into the steel. Then I did the same outside the truck. Then I trimmed a little off the hose so it would have a fresh clamping surface.
So now I have decent hot air I probably will take it back off and put in the foam. Also if anyone has their core start leaking make sure you pull up the floor mat because I guarantee that it wet under there.
I'm sorry I didn't have this phone when I did the job and I was not a member so I didn't take pictures sorry.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I did have a electrical issue once. One night it was cold, raining and very dark so I had the heater on hi, the head lights on hi, and the wipers on hi. I noticed when I let off the trottle the gen 1 light would show up. It was dim but you could tell it was there. So the belt was tight and the started to spooke me because I didn't want to have to change out a alt. So before I pulled the alt I started checking wires. I pulled every connection on buss bars and cleaned them, then I pulled the battery cables and cleaned them. Then I pulled the wires loose at the alternators and cleaned them and reattached them. This fixed the issue and also helped lots of other small issues like dim interior lights and slow wipers since everything was getting better current now.
So if you have a cucv clean the electrical connections before you have a issue.

Thanks everyone

nyvram

great stories! it looks like you just put this post together to condense everything you've done since the beginning.

i love this site..how could you own one of these vehicle without knowing about this place?

CUCVLOVER

great stories! it looks like you just put this post together to condense everything you've done since the beginning.

i love this site..how could you own one of these vehicle without knowing about this place?
Thanks.
That's the plan for this thread. I am still working my way up to the present I still have a lot to post about and lots of pics from some recent work I've don't to the truck.
I'm going as fast as I can doing this on a smart phone takes awhile.

I don't think it is possible to own a MV without steel soldiers.

CUCVLOVER

Hello all.
So I am sure most of you know about the ice storm. That happened this spring well I was in crossville Tn when that happened me and my dad drove 14 hrs back from there in a 98 dodge Durango at 30mph in 4x4.
Anyway back to the MV stuff.

The day after we got back I had to unfreeze my truck. So I finally got the door open then I needed to open the hood because the truck had sat in that cold for a few days and after a few glow plug cycles and some winding the batts where not happy. So after stringing a cord and breaking out the heat gun I started melting the ice off the hood.KIMG0394.jpg

So after I got the hood up and the charges on the batts it cranked right up. So I locked in my hubs and went for a little ride. I did find a couple ice patches and I can tell you sliding on a 1/8th inch of ice will make your cheeks pucker and I don't mean the ones on your face. So a quick pull of the 4x4 lever and all was good.
I just thought I would share that.

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

So since my dad has a his own business I am usually around alot of new and sometimes rather cocky people. I know everyone loves their truck and thinks its the baddest thing since sliced bread but most will not put their truck where their mouth is. He has been through several employees this year and most had jacked up trucks or at least a stock one with a couple cruddy mods. Well they would see my truck look it over and usually find something to complain about, and it was usually the heart of the beast. I would tell them its a MV explain the cucv name, and the numbers, the uses of the cucv and such then they want to see about the motor. So I pop the hood and they see the stock 6.2 na diesel and laugh, they would go on about how the engine sucks, doesn't make enough power to move a golf cart, and that it will quit before I get across the street.
So I came up with a solution to the problem. I always have heavy chain, a tow strap, and such in the truck. I would ask them you think this truck is weak right (yes), you think it can't pull? (Yes) you think that your truck will eat mine for a snack? (Yep) ok. Do you see that chain on the back? (Yep) ok then lets hook em up.
If you want to see some back peddling say that to someone. They would come up with every excuse not to do it except my truck has it period today. I have had some of the most loud mouth, cocky, and arrogant people talk my truck down only to start stammering, back peddling and just generally (uh well um I don't have time today I uh um it uh I got to go).

So if anyone talks your truck down tell them that.
Thank everyone

BnaditCorps

So since my dad has a his own business I am usually around alot of new and sometimes rather cocky people. I know everyone loves their truck and thinks its the baddest thing since sliced bread but most will not put their truck where their mouth is. He has been through several employees this year and most had jacked up trucks or at least a stock one with a couple cruddy mods. Well they would see my truck look it over and usually find something to complain about, and it was usually the heart of the beast. I would tell them its a MV explain the cucv name, and the numbers, the uses of the cucv and such then they want to see about the motor. So I pop the hood and they see the stock 6.2 na diesel and laugh, they would go on about how the engine sucks, doesn't make enough power to move a golf cart, and that it will quit before I get across the street.
So I came up with a solution to the problem. I always have heavy chain, a tow strap, and such in the truck. I would ask them you think this truck is weak right (yes), you think it can't pull? (Yes) you think that your truck will eat mine for a snack? (Yep) ok. Do you see that chain on the back? (Yep) ok then lets hook em up.
If you want to see some back peddling say that to someone. They would come up with every excuse not to do it except my truck has it period today. I have had some of the most loud mouth, cocky, and arrogant people talk my truck down only to start stammering, back peddling and just generally (uh well um I don't have time today I uh um it uh I got to go).

So if anyone talks your truck down tell them that.
Thank everyone
Hahahahahha That is funny

gottaluvit

Thanks.
I'm not talking about like one or two people I means several. Even if they had a two wheel drive truck that was supposedly extremely HP'd up and I say ok I won't use 4x4 they still back peddle
It must be the mysteriousness of it being a military vehicle that intimidates them. They subconciously think there's some special military secret in the drivetrain.

CUCVLOVER

It must be the mysteriousness of it being a military vehicle that intimidates them. They subconciously think there's some special military secret in the drivetrain.
That must be it. Thank you.
I have been in autozone to get parts before and I have learned that you don't even think the words military truck. Because if you do it freaks the computer monkey out and its never a good experience.

Thanks

jpg

I have been in autozone to get parts before and I have learned that you don't even think the words military truck. Because if you do it freaks the computer monkey out and its never a good experience.
I had the opposite experience. I tell them what belt I want, say a 17510 belt, and they demand the year, make and model of my vehicle. I tell them that won't help, my vehicle isn't in their computer. They insist, until I tell them it's a military vehicle.

Even better was when I told him the 17520 had stretched to the point of uselessness, so I wanted to try a shorter belt. He said it would take hours of digging through belts and measuring them to figure out which was shorter. He was shocked when I told him that the "520" in 17520 was the belt length, 52.0 inches. He had no idea the length was encoded into the number. He then fetched me a 17510, and I was on my way.

(This belt is for the lower 24V alternator on an M1010, so even the K30 and other typical 6.2l parts data doesn't apply.)

Once the part guy didn't believe me that my lower radiator hose wouldn't be in his computer, and he followed me out into the parking lot to see. Once he saw the truck, his attitude changed.

CUCVLOVER

It's time for another installment of what have I done to the truck.
This comes from back in may ish.
It was time to get ride of the loose, burnt up, nonmatching belts. The truck had the same belts I bought it with, I had been planning to do the belts for awhile but I just hadn't had time. Well i got the part numbers from the cucv wiki on this site and off to Napa I went.
KIMG0729.jpgKIMG0731.jpg

So the alternator belts are not to bad to tighten up by yourself and the power steering took some doing. I basically just had to keep messing with it until it was tight as I wanted it.
Now I have a full set of matching belts and no squealing on start up or when I start using all my KC lights, head lights, heater, wipers and the engine is just idling.
Just remember when you change a belt you always put the one that you took off behind the seat or on the tool box. That way you have a spare.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I had the opposite experience. I tell them what belt I want, say a 17510 belt, and they demand the year, make and model of my vehicle. I tell them that won't help, my vehicle isn't in their computer. They insist, until I tell them it's a military vehicle.

Even better was when I told him the 17520 had stretched to the point of uselessness, so I wanted to try a shorter belt. He said it would take hours of digging through belts and measuring them to figure out which was shorter. He was shocked when I told him that the "520" in 17520 was the belt length, 52.0 inches. He had no idea the length was encoded into the number. He then fetched me a 17510, and I was on my way.

(This belt is for the lower 24V alternator on an M1010, so even the K30 and other typical 6.2l parts data doesn't apply.)

Once the part guy didn't believe me that my lower radiator hose wouldn't be in his computer, and he followed me out into the parking lot to see. Once he saw the truck, his attitude changed.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I guess the m1010 is just special compared to the 08.(I'm not trying to your truck is retarded)

I guess it just depends on the person there.
My dad said he used to go around and around with the chain stores over spark plugs. He ran a plug that was not stock in a small block chevy and he said sometimes I was not sure if they would sell them to me or not.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks