• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i know of 2 places that have them, of course they are not cheap, expext to pay about $400 , the wheels i am not sure, but i have never had a problem finding them, i think they may be the same as HMMWV. like i said i am in the process of putting togeather a list, so by the end of the week i should have all the 'facts'.
tom

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed. I've been trying to track down various parts & pieces as well, but always run into roadblocks and dead ends with some of the silliest little parts (like suitable pullies and mounts). Hoses are no problem at all.

SuperJoe

gringeltaube out of curiosity how do you determine how much force is needed to turn front wheels? i would assume that there would need to be factors in some sort of equation, such as tire foot print area, surface turned on, and total front end weight to find the weight in psi against the friction of the ground. also is there specs of different boxes i cannot seem to find, like the ross steering box, in available throw and duty cycle given a pumps line pressure and application. will you please share some info with us, or pm me if its complex. i want to take a different route with my power steering needs but do not want to be at or over the duty cycle of the box i select for my application when its time.
thanks
Joe

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.........i would assume that there would need to be factors in some sort of equation, such as tire foot print area, surface turned on, and total front end weight to find the weight in psi against the friction of the ground.
That's correct and I was going to say exactly that, in response to Tom's post #18.
Too many factors; too many different situations.... (even how dry or wet the palm of my hand was to create enough friction on the wheel....:smile:)

IMO, about the toughest test would be parking an M35 Multifuel, W/winch in - and pulling out of - tight spaces; on paved ground, with 14" wide radials at 40psi.
I would say that if a young lady can do that with no complains, then the steering system is powerful enough.
The HF54 with a relatively short pitman arm proved to be just one of many possible solutions... maybe just not as simple to install compared to a box bolted to the outside of the frame.
...... also is there specs of different boxes i cannot seem to find, like the ross steering box, in available throw and duty cycle given a pumps line pressure and application.
No specs found, so far... but better than that, we already have positive feedback from others who went the same route.
Trial and error is what helped me most...;-)

G.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was going to drive a truck for a guy (SSer) didn't happen, but in our talking, we got talking about power steering, he said that he hyd. powered his deuce, I can not find my notes on the planed trip. He said that he sent the stock gear box to a steering box manufacture to see if it could be moded or one built to match, the manufacture got back to him, told him that there was no need to go that route because thay had a on the shelf unit, that with a slight mod, would BOLT in place. it AND the correct pitman arm cost him $600, I made him repeat that price, He said he had a little over $1000 in the whole conversion, I just could not believe the price, tried to get him to do kits, was told I am real busy but I'll think about it.

SO if the SSer I am talking about sees this PLEASE STEP UP, YOU need to be heard

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is, read WAS, a steering box that was exactly the same as the m35 but had the hyd valve for an assist cyl built into it. have only ever seen one and that was long ago.
tom

SuperJoe

it seems most are looking for an almost stock look with stock mounting but the added convince of power steering at a price that wont break the bank. i was wondering if anyone has seen anything that powers an arm across the vehicle, similar to a ford pick-up, opposed to front to back, as in stock. i dont mind if it is a complex install or non stock looking since i will be powering it with a PS pump from a 12V 6BT cummings. has anyone ran across something like this?

i agree with gringeltaube in the statement "IMO, about the toughest test would be parking an M35 Multifuel, W/winch in - and pulling out of - tight spaces; on paved ground, with 14" wide radials at 40psi.
I would say that if a young lady can do that with no complains, then the steering system is powerful enough." lets say 16-20s 0n the same surface though
thanks
Joe

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
anyone in maryland want PS? i need a truck to install kit onto to make sure everything fits before going into production. (which will almost be on a as sold basis, but i have most of the parts in stock now)
tom

daddy2

Tom, I'm in PA but what an offer. I have the air assist now but I have been thinking about the hydr. systems. I need to finish the rv conversion but I may be truely interested. Plan on running P395s. I already have the rims from govliq. Would the tire size be a problem?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, the week is almost over and this is what i have found. i could fabricate and sell a kit for hyd power steering for near $1700. i could also just sell the hard to find parts, what ever they are! what does the air assist cost now? the real question is how many would really do it, not just want to.
tom

michigandon

ok, the week is almost over and this is what i have found. i could fabricate and sell a kit for hyd power steering for near $1700. i could also just sell the hard to find parts, what ever they are! what does the air assist cost now? the real question is how many would really do it, not just want to.
tom
Why that's almost a whole hundy LESS than an Air-O-Matic kit from Inter Agency Motor Pool.

Sounds like a winner to me! [thumbzup]

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested. Armstrong steering + 46-inch radials = easy justification for p/s conversion.

jrobinson5093

I seen a hydro system in a MV magazine that some one installed on a m60 it used a rotory valve or something around the middle of the steering shaft right beside the fuel filters.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I seen a hydro system in a MV magazine that some one installed on a m60 it used a rotory valve or something around the middle of the steering shaft right beside the fuel filters.

Yup, Tom's kit won't be the first, but it will be well made and one of the most affordable!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks