• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Insurance Prices - How much do you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman_15237

1. What Year and Type of Deuce? 1968 M35A2
2. What kind of Policy? Liability only, Commercial Policy (for weight only)
3. Is it under a standard policy or an "antique car/truck" policy? Standard policy w/antique registration
What does it cost per month? $38
5. What Insurance Agency/Company? Erie Insurance Co.
6. What State is the Insurance Company in? Pennsylvania
7. Do you have other policies through the same company which gets you a
"multi policy" discount?
No

ABN173

Fishing for rate quotes still, (For the state of Washington) USAA will insure me through Progressive for $1000 annually, Geico online quoted $42 per month (can you believe they actually have AM General listed on their drop down menu?) State Farm replied "sorry we only insure these for existing customers" Well that did not sit well with me so I called State Farm national HQ, transferred the regional hq in Washington, then actually spoke to an underwriter named Eric Gorski, he seemed really interested and and knew what I was talking about so after talking to him for about 15 minutes he said for me to e-mail him the pictures and he would see about issuing a commercial policy at first then later when its restored he could transition it to collector. I am still waiting to hear back on the quote, he did say it should not be to bad.

Moral of this story is: Sometime you get more with "sugar and honey" than with "salt and vinegar" I think Papabear told me that about GL once before too.

*edit: I will post again in the requested format once I actually get something locked in.

-Dale

Varyag

380 a year in WA state through Progressive Commercial. Liability only but with 3 times the State required coverage.

No mileage restriction or cargo restriction.

Last edited:
1970 M35A2
USAA full coverage (i answered all their questions) $22 a month with 100/300/100 coverage
Will be registered antique in DE (When they stop harrasin me about the slight smoke at idle)
i have all my policies with them
I do hold a Class A CDL Doubles/Tripples, Tanker, and HAZMAT endorsements which made a difference when shopping for commercial policies. I also have 0 incidents in the past 5 years and very good credit.

A commercial policy from Geico was about $1200 a year cheapest i found.

ABN173

380 a year in WA state through Progressive Commercial. Liability only but with 3 times the State required coverage.

No mileage restriction or cargo restriction.
1970 M35A2
USAA full coverage (i answered all their questions) $22 a month with 100/300/100 coverage
Will be registered antique in DE (When they stop harrasin me about the slight smoke at idle)
i have all my policies with them
I do hold a Class A CDL Doubles/Tripples, Tanker, and HAZMAT endorsements which made a difference when shopping for commercial policies. I also have 0 incidents in the past 5 years and very good credit.

A commercial policy from Geico was about $1200 a year cheapest i found.
Far different results than I am seeing here in WA.

Varyag- I tried USAA which writes their policy through progressive the quote I have is $938 per year

Shawn- as stated above I went through USAA and they do not directly insure these they have a partnership with Progressive.

While I do not have a CDL I am 42, married, with good credit, and clean driving record. Last violation was like 8 years ago for a fender bender.

I tried State farm and was told they only cover these as a courtesy for existing customers. I made some calls to State Farm HQ and spoke to a under writer and it sounded very promising.......well that his until I got his reply this morning.

Here is the 1st reply from the agent:

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Hi Dale,

Sorry to say but according to my underwriters, we only do these as a courtesy to existing State Farm customers. I'm sorry I can't write this for you. Be safe.

JoAnn

JoAnn Powers ~ Licensed Staff Agent
Providing Insurance and Financial Services
Phone (253) 582-1135
Fax (253) 984-7142
Email JoAnn@sherihodson.com
Address 9529 Gravelly Lake Dr SW
Lakewood WA 98499

Now the "Not right now" from the underwriter:
[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Hi Dale,

Thanks for providing me and Joann the information on the vehicle. Was nice to discuss this prospect with you.

After discussing with other underwriters and our management, we would really like for you to be able to have the vehicle in your possession, be able to view the vehicle at an agent’s office, and know exactly the condition of the vehicle we’re insuring for you. You may find concerns with the vehicle once you see it that might make you think differently of the purchase, etc. Or we may see things that we might find outside our comfort level that we can’t see in the photos.

At that point when you have the truck and you’re able to inspect it yourself, we could discuss insuring it under our antique vehicle program. The use of the truck in your club functions and parades would fall under that program.

I know you’re trying to secure coverage at the time of purchase so the vehicle can be taken to your residence before you arrive home. Unsure of your exact timing to be back here at JBLM, most automobile policies cover a “new auto purchase” for so many days (sometimes up to 30) before you need to secure a physical policy on it. Joann mentioned your other autos are with USAA. You might inquire with them as to that temporary coverage that might apply in this case, and if this truck would even qualify under that policy language if you have it. Or perhaps they can temporarily write a policy for you until you get home, then we can go from there. Just thinking of any other options you might have there.

Sorry we can’t immediately accommodate you but I hope to be able to work with you when you get back. Joann and I will keep the information you sent and if you choose to bring the truck to State Farm, please call her to arrange a time to drop it by her office to inspect it and take more photos. She can call me and we’ll get to work on a policy for you.

Best regards,

Eric
[/FONT]

As of now it looks like GEICO is the best route to go at $500 per year. I'm not seeing anything close to the low rates most members here are quoting.

-Dale

well the first time I called them I gave them a little too much info and told them I would need commercial insurance. the next time I called I only answered their questions. they didn't want pictures they didn't ask me the weight or number of axles. in DE any vehicle 25 years or older can be tagged as antique regardless of weight.

Progressive will not cover MVs.

They will sell you a policy but will not honor it if needed. I had a commercial policy through them. I heard this rumor so I had my agent check and he was told they would not pay out on a claim as it it company policy NO EX MILITARY VEHICLES!

Have your agent double check. Could you win in court because they took your money? Probably. Pockets deep enough to win? Probably not.

ABN173

USAA will ensure M35A2's through a agreement/partnership with Progressive for commercial use. I am still looking because I think $1000 per year is pretty steep for something that will probably only see 1000 miles in one year. This has been discussed before. USAA had enough request that they started issuing coverage through Progressive since the Fall of 2009.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/37184-news-usaa-will-start-insuring-deuces-other-mvs-fall.html

I'm no expert but if USAA can get it insured through progressive why would progressive not issue policies on their own as well?

The USAA Commercial/special insurance rep knew exactly what this vehicle this is and had no issues with it. I am still shopping for a better rate. Right now the lowest is GEICO, I'm still trying Farmers and State Farm.

I have been with USAA for over 10 years now, they are a reputable company I find it hard to believe they would help you set up a worthless policy with Progressive.

-Dale

Last edited:

peashooter

1988 M109A3 W/W. State Farm was the best place I found that would insure it as a collector but still let me drive it more than just to parades and shows and not require me to keep it locked inside (I have no buildings big enough to hold a deuce in). I had it insured at a high value $13K due to the amount of sweat equity I put into it and the minimal insurance cost to do so. Its also somewhat of a hard to find vehicle with dual circuit brakes & winch.

-State Farm
-$13,000 replacement value
-full coverage
-Parked outside
-Minnesota
-Collector (but the underwriters said I can use it as a camper) / non-comercial
-No other policies with State farm.
-I dont believe I'm covered if I pull a trailer... havent looked into that part much since I have no trailer at the moment
-$13 a month ($78 every 6 months)

USAA will ensure M35A2's through a agreement/partnership with Progressive for commercial use. I am still looking because I think $1000 per year is pretty steep for something that will probably only see 1000 miles in one year. This has been discussed before. USAA had enough request that they started issuing coverage through Progressive since the Fall of 2009.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/37184-news-usaa-will-start-insuring-deuces-other-mvs-fall.html

I'm no expert but if USAA can get it insured through progressive why would progressive not issue policies on their own as well?

The USAA Commercial/special insurance rep knew exactly what this vehicle this is and had no issues with it. I am still shopping for a better rate. Right now the lowest is GEICO, I'm still trying Farmers and State Farm.

I have been with USAA for over 10 years now, they are a reputable company I find it hard to believe they would help you set up a worthless policy with Progressive.

-Dale
My agent knew what it was too and had no problem selling a progressive commercial policy. Mine was under 500 a year so keep shopping. I had heard that progressive would not cover MS so I had my agent ask point blank. He was told there is a NO MV policy. Just because your agent sell it does not mean it will be valid apparently.

called a half dozen insurance companies, progressive was almost $120 a month for a commercial policy, Geico was the cheapest at $50 a month. Although having it on my USAA (which i know isnt a commercial policy) is only $23. I have it on there now so its insured until i finish everything i want to with it. They i will most likely add it to my company policy. When i bought the truck i wasnt sure if i wanted to keep it or how much i wanted to drive it etc. State farm i was on hold with for 17 minutes. If i cant get through in 17 minutes i dont want their businiess.

rednckii

I just got state farm here in va got 100/350 for 50 a month no restrictions. I found out best thing to do is to go to local office phone is worthless. I was in an out in 45 min thats with the agent callin the underwriter to make sure policy was enough and that i would be covered not screwed. Made sure they knew exactly what i had picture description everything to get point across.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got state farm here in va got 100/350 for 50 a month no restrictions. I found out best thing to do is to go to local office phone is worthless. I was in an out in 45 min thats with the agent callin the underwriter to make sure policy was enough and that i would be covered not screwed. Made sure they knew exactly what i had picture description everything to get point across.
You raise a good point in that FACE-to-FACE is the best communication. When 'shopping' the phone is faster - especially for weeding out the deadwood.
IMHO

wsucougarx

OK, I made the change on my '68 M35A2 and my M109a3. I converted both trucks from State Farm Commercial to State Farm Classical policy. I now only pay $26/6months instead of $36/month. Pretty nice change;-)
The change was a nice welcome as I only drove my '68 a total 65 miles last year and the M109A3 only 450 miles. I think the 1500 mile/year limit will be no problem in maintaining

greenjeepster

Geico is quick and easy... They know exactly what it is and will write a commercial (private use policy) on it in about 10 minutes.

Beware of Progressive... They don't actually cover MVs, but are happy to collect the money... This has been mentioned before in this thread, but I think that the thread has gotten so long that it needed reiteration.

I have been with Progressive for my personal cars for 8 years now and had two dueces insured on the policy as well... I have resubmitted those old policies back to them and have been told by a couple different underwriters that they would not have honored the policy. They consider MVs as an "uninsurable risk". I was told that policies like mine do slip through because people are not always clear on what they are asking for a quote on or the agents don't ask the right questions.

Last edited:
Geico told me NO on my M818, they transferred me to the commercial division, I have them for my home, and 4 vehicles (including a M1009). The lady over the phone told me "...that truck is too big". I'm working in North Dakota and was looking for liability, figure I'd drive maybe 200 miles a month. I called State Farm and they picked me up for $56 a month, (1) speeding ticket.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have gulfway out of Fla. I pay $368. Per year with full coverage, 10,000 if it gets totaled with full theft,comp, collision, and regular liability. that is for my m923A1

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progressive will not cover MVs.

They will sell you a policy but will not honor it if needed. I had a commercial policy through them. I heard this rumor so I had my agent check and he was told they would not pay out on a claim as it it company policy NO EX MILITARY VEHICLES!

Have your agent double check. Could you win in court because they took your money? Probably. Pockets deep enough to win? Probably not.
Exactly how can they sell you a policy knowing full well what the vehicle is, The vin, and you pay it then not pay on a claim? Sounds like a lawsuit against them.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1988 M109A3 W/W. State Farm was the best place I found that would insure it as a collector but still let me drive it more than just to parades and shows and not require me to keep it locked inside (I have no buildings big enough to hold a deuce in). I had it insured at a high value $13K due to the amount of sweat equity I put into it and the minimal insurance cost to do so. Its also somewhat of a hard to find vehicle with dual circuit brakes & winch.

-State Farm
-$13,000 replacement value
-full coverage
-Parked outside
-Minnesota
-Collector (but the underwriters said I can use it as a camper) / non-comercial
-No other policies with State farm.
-I dont believe I'm covered if I pull a trailer... havent looked into that part much since I have no trailer at the moment
-$13 a month ($78 every 6 months)
WTF, I'm paying above $600 a year no set replacement value, full coverage and I have all my policies with them. Time to pitch a fit with my insurance agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks