• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dinger65 M38A1 Jeep

zout

Ron did not see my torch set - I had my blow up doll (lucious lips Susan) sitting on top and he was king of eye balling her taking his mind off my torch's.

Will be home Monday for a Pre-Huntsville attack and pilphering extravaganza.
This baby does not know how close it is to coming to life "its alive - its alive"

call it frankenstein if ya wish.:-D

dinger65

Papabear, I've got workmen at my house Monday. However, I will get them tasked properly and then delegate their Supervision to my XO. I trained her years ago. "(it's all in the training") So, I'' be aboard. As for the "mean". I filed it away some time ago. He@# nowadays it would probably take almost 30 seconds to retrieve. Don't have any idea re BB, seein as he is Army trained? Dave, I'll be there Monday instead of Sunday. ...and I'll get there ahead of PB. Don't want him to take over Camp Zout. Next thing ya know, it'll be Fort Warp Speed or some such thing. By the way thanks to John for keeping Zout outta trouble. Seriously, I sincerely appreciate it!!!! Dave, it is incredible what you've done in less than 30 days. It should be on Ripley's Believe it or not. You can bet your as%, I'll be driving or pushing that jeep down the road on 10 November (I don't want to hear anymore about somehow "governing" the thing, either)
Dinger out

zout

I found two cases of BUD in my car today :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

IT is a green light to achieve FIRE UP this weekend and take it around the power lines and get it packed with mud and whatever else will attach to it so it looks like a real Marine Jeep. I bet if I could get Mahala and Daniel up here - she could get that jeep 20 foot off the ground on a jump here :popcorn::popcorn:.

My end pleasure will come when Bud (not the canned bud) but the real one - sits in that jeep - touches that starter button - and it rolls to life - slips it into gear and gently clutching lets er ROOOOOOOLL - now that is what it is all about. No One can ever take them feelings away from a person.

That is what I pictured when it was dropped off - and that is still what I picture to this day.

Monday for all is fantastic - I see LUNCH ON THE GRILL at the DZ (we do not land here - we drop in) and hopefully with all the encouragement and help from Ron - and the parts coming in from other folks to get this done - I can do and finish what you think I can - and make it running within a month.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I found two cases of BUD in my car today :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

IT is a green light to achieve FIRE UP this weekend and take it around the power lines and get it packed with mud and whatever else will attach to it so it looks like a real Marine Jeep. I bet if I could get Mahala and Daniel up here - she could get that jeep 20 foot off the ground on a jump here :popcorn::popcorn:.

My end pleasure will come when Bud (not the canned bud) but the real one - sits in that jeep - touches that starter button - and it rolls to life - slips it into gear and gently clutching lets er ROOOOOOOLL - now that is what it is all about. No One can ever take them feelings away from a person.

That is what I pictured when it was dropped off - and that is still what I picture to this day.

Monday for all is fantastic - I see LUNCH ON THE GRILL at the DZ (we do not land here - we drop in) and hopefully with all the encouragement and help from Ron - and the parts coming in from other folks to get this done - I can do and finish what you think I can - and make it running within a month.
I recomend you put the jeep out in the center of the power line for Bud's first test run...just in case...:-|

Also...hide the welder...just in case...:roll:

Attachments

zout

AHHHH- got a call here at work this morning from Zout 2 - I guess I have a big tree growing out of the roof of my garage and a customized lawn tractor this morning once the sun came up.

Expecting rain here later this afternoon and it looks like I have to at least fix the dang penetration or whatever is left to keep rain out - if it was not going to rain it would be sitting there as a garage ornament till it was going to rain. I guess it did not know I have a jeep mission this weekend instead of standing on a hot stinkin roof an cutting a tree instead. I see MURPHY

zout

Digging a tree from the garage roof seemed to have priority as more rain is in the near future - throwing a wrench into where I wanted to be on the jeep at end of day today.

Well guess what:
Full exhaust system in
generator mounted - need belts
No radiator till Monday
trans and case filled with lube
Engine filled with oil to spec
temp HOT wiring done to achieve fire up SUNDAY MORNING - God had better be listening cause he is getting a wake up call tomorrow.

Temp run in minor spurts to get most bugs that are always there figured out without overheating the engine.

What is not done - either the parts are not here- nor have they been purchased - but this baby if firing up Sunday June 24th two days short of having the jeep a month. :jumpin::jumpin:

Did I mention: :driver::driver::driver::driver:

P.S. - tree is a Hickory and will be used for BBQ - now how is that for a surprise.

When Dinger walks in Monday to assist in pick up of his previous build - he is in for a MAJOR surprise.

zout

As of right now the engine fired quickly then nothing. Pulled #1 plug and checked for spark - nothing.

Pulled cap and rotor was broken - WTH.

NAPA or Advance auto did not have a replacement so Zout 2 graciously offered hers up - popped it in after removing it from her jeep and again the rotor broke.

The internal cap was new Dinger bought along with the new rotor but the inner cap is smaller in diameter than Debs or the 43. Stole the inner cap from Debs and seeing how there was only one more MV to rob from - the rotor was stolen from the 43.

After screwing around for several hours besides doing brakes on my daughters car rear axle all is well and ready to fire up again.

No cables to pull the choke nor a throttle pedal to twitch on while rolling it over - and I have a24v switch to send power temp to elec fuel pump and the HOT on the dist. Just too many hands shy to achieve the fire up.

I did check when #1 fired it was nearly dead on - so taking a break from the heat and will attack it again a little later this afternoon.

Yes I put gas in it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Keeps breaking the rotor? You mean the tab at top?

I have had a couple of distributors with excessive bearing play, allowing the shaft to move up and down too much, thus letting the rotor move up too far and hitting the cap.

zout

The internal cap (24v waterproof exterior cap) is black and a total POS - it does not resemble the original - has no "lip" to conform to the exterior cap - too shallow and too narrow. The total assembly will fit over ok - but as soon as it starts to rotate you are SOL - it breaks the tip right off the rotor.

I put Debs interior cap off her jeep in after already breaking her rotor not looking totally at the interior cap - then stole the rotor (only one I had left) off the 43.

Right now at the end of day after all the fiascos that took place keeping me off the jeep - timing is 1/2 way in between pickups and not enough advance to bring it dead on center. Will drop the oil pump tomorrow morning and move it one tooth to bring timing where it needs to be.

It was firing but not enough to keep it running due to the positioning.

zout

OK - I will spill my guts as a couple want to know what the H is going on.

I had the jeep already to want to fire it up Monday so the troopers who came could be teased by me thinkin it was not ready yet and see Dinger drive outta the garage.

Camo troopers arrived to pickup the other jeep in process - and wound up finally jerking the engine and hauling it off cause it had no compression and spitting smoke out the water pump inlet was really a bad sign.

Did I mention the engine was outta the hole in about 50 minutes - we go NOT mess around. I bet in the garage it was hitting 127 degree's on my digital temp gun.

This is the engine I had rebuilt by a builder last year (thinkin - what - 7 months ago ??) but no reason for it to be in this condition. ($2400 pissed away)

Knowing my aggressive behavior disorder CAMO wanted their grubby paws on the engine to show up the negligence from a so called engine builder - I have no doubts in a heartbeat they will see the engine builders failures.

I need no reason to head South to Camo grounds - but this gives me a good excuse in the near future to hail for another vacation day to close the shop on a Saturday - whoooooo hooooooooo.

Trust me - this baby was all set for my fello mankind before Murphy reared its ugly head.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, THAT SUCKS, once I got the DIAGNOSIS, I bet I would get 2400 BACK from somewhere, well let me know when the REstuffing is

zout

Will give ya a heads up when the injection will take place again.

BUT - overall - the rebuild is a whole nother story and to be dealt with on its own - BUT CAMO @Tony @PB @DOC @BB all came up -gouged down two large PAPA Johns meatlovers - had a great time (first time Doc was able to come North) Dinger was here and it was a great time of just messing around.

That is what my concept of all this is all about. Each had an idea of what was wrong and each one was right in the diagnosis. Each particpation in resolving each problem to come to a final conclusion to just BLOW up Dingers jeep and start all over again.

This is a hobby right and suppose to be FUN.

Seeing how 1Sgt's recomendations were taken literally - we just all started yanking the engine as instructed. Cooler minds prevailed.

Did I mention that knucklehead BB brought back my grandsons football.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey Brother, it is what it is and all we can do is start from here and lean forward.[thumbzup]
Oh...and it was 51 minutes from..OK...let's pull it to on the trailer.

Hopefully Tony and/or Troy can start Saturday or sooner and will document/photo all phases of the operation especially anything found to be "outta wack.":popcorn:
As far as the stolen football being returned, BB has been counselled and has promised to stop stealing stuff...but honestly...he didn't seem very sincere nor did he show much remorse.:whistle:

I know that you and Bud could have done everything we will do and just as well if not better but when Bud took his Satcom and started using words like "Arclight, Bring the Rain, and no friendlys" then started calling out grid coordinates I felt it was time to unazz the AO ASAP!!:wink:

Now to the trip Southwest...

First...the "Lady in the black box" sent us into the heart of enemy territory (Downtown ATL) in rush hour traffic:cookoo:
Tony called the feller at ATL Gear and kept him advised of our progress and he said he would wait for us cause he knew we needed that chunk for the heavy wrecker.:smile:

Got there about 17:15hrs and they didn't have a rebuilt unit...so they sold me a NEW one for the same price![thumbzup]

Headed SW again and the air went out on the F350!!
BB was not a happy camper but we used the 4X75 AC and made it home.

The moral of this story is...I think Murphy was bottled up in that engine all this time and we let him out!!

Not to worry Brother...between us all, we will ::grd:
P.S....sorry BB drank all the beer....

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout sorry to hear the engine situation as I know you and 73M worked your butts off last week to get in installed :(

Murphy is supposed to follow WM around and should have been in Alabama this week. Maybe he left Murphy in your backyard this spring as I know the trailer was full when he left your house.

You did your darnest to :grd: it will see the light of day soon.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just glad Murphy was in Ga, and didn't follow ferro and I to Haspin.......

zout

From what I understand - and I do not understand very much unless you wave your hands around a lot and point - but the engine had an L headgasket on it instead of an F headgasket.

Replacement will be here tomorrow while I am away.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I understand - and I do not understand very much unless you wave your hands around a lot and point - but the engine had an L headgasket on it instead of an F headgasket.
How does an "experienced" engine builder do that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks