• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DirtBag Fall 2011 ???

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering if anyone attending will be able to help me with an electronics problem. We are in the process of moving and we sold/gave away/donated a lot of unwanted electronics and computer stuff except some external hard drives. I was hoping that someone attending might have the talent to disable them and render them unreadable to at least government standards or to a higher redneck standard. I figured we could clean them up good.

Met1

Just wondering if anyone attending will be able to help me with an electronics problem. We are in the process of moving and we sold/gave away/donated a lot of unwanted electronics and computer stuff except some external hard drives. I was hoping that someone attending might have the talent to disable them and render them unreadable to at least government standards or to a higher redneck standard. I figured we could clean them up good.
We can do this with some very high speed cleaning tools. :beer:

BLK HMMWV

I believe I will be able to help you defrag your hard drive or is that frag your hard drive I'm not very good with the indoor computer stuff but I can do better if you bring the sucker outside.

BH

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got plenty of buckets for all of you with a bucket list...
Hey Boo Boo, I've got sort of a bucket list--- 30 to 50 gallon buckets--- if anyone has 'em or can get 'em, preferably not too rusty or at least clean-able enough for fuel-ish things.

BTW; Anybody interested in some Thompson clean-up type accessories? Not sure if I can post them on here so PM me if you're game...

TheRecorder

Off to Miramar Air Show for 4 days.
I know this is not related to CDB, But......I hope all the trim tabs are in order.
From my brother, ...

"Galloping Ghost"

• "So here is the scoop I got over the weekend. Turns out one of the mechanics at the airport was on the ground team for one of the unlimited racers and had the spot in the pits right next to the lost plane. The ground team had a real time data feed from the airplane.
  • Looks like the plane had a high speed flutter on the port elevator trim tab. The pilot reported a vibration.
  • The trim tab came off in flight which caused the entire tail group to twist. There are trim tabs on both sides and the asymmetry caused a huge over load. Also high power settings require a lot of nose down trim to stay level, the loss of the trim tab could not be overcome by the pilot. The twist in the tail group made the tendency to nose up even greater and caused damage to the internal structure in the tail – looking at the pictures you will see the tail wheel is down and the gear doors are gone – stuff was coming apart in there.
  • The twist and the loss of trim caused a near instantaneous 11G pull up – this probably incapacitated the 73 year old pilot and may even have broken the mounts on the pilot seat. Note you cannot see him in the cockpit. The 11G pull also caused a brief loss of engine power from low fuel pressure – the pump could not overcome 11G.
  • After the 11G pull up the airplane unloaded in steep climb – with the G off the engine regained power.
  • Without the pilot to overcome it the airplane torque rolled causing a split S into the ground.
  • The data showed that the airplane was pulling 105 inches on manifold pressure on impact. The "normal" race boost would be 60 to 70. So the airplane was going just under 500MPH when it hit so no fire just total disintegration. "

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxSj07UADo&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Enjoy the airshow Jim.
Interesting information you have.
My Dad used to work for a small aircraft company in Goleta Ca. while working there the whole company (employees and there family's flew up to the Reno Air races in one of the companies DC3's I can barely remember the race but I do remember the P-51 my dad had painted for one of the racers that day. He was one of the test pilots for the company. What a beautiful plane.
The loss of "The Galloping Ghost" her pilot and all those injured or killed that day is truly awful.

One thing that's a given in life is we don't know when our ticket will get punched.
We can choose to live in a bubble or step out and explore the world.
So drive safe, stay alert, chalk your wheels and disable the motor at the show and enjoy life.
Thanks for taking the time to make your truck available for others to enjoy.

In the words of George Strait. " I'm not here for a long time , I'm hear for a good time so forget the fine wine and pass me the moonshine" or something close to that.

BH

BLK HMMWV

Snakes at and around CDB

It has been brought to my attention by BB who was just out in the Dez over the last few weekends just up the road abit from were Camp DB is , that there were a bunch of Rattle snakes around so please keep this in mind for the upcoming DB trip.
If your planning on bringing out some youngin's and even for us old farts keep an eye and ear out for them. Also if you leave any gear on the ground overnight or plan on sleeping in a tent on the ground.

Looks like were 3 weeks out , the weather next week around here looks like it might get a chance for some moisture so it might cut into your plans for saftey checks and vehicle inspections. So don't wait to the last minute.

BH

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if it rains, it is dry UNDER the truck, so any PM can be done dry [thumbzup]

Triple R

but there is no hole in the floor of the HMMV....sleep on the ground. mind the Rattlesnakes of course...:)

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I've noticed the snakes do seem to be active lately along with a bunch of other critters here in the high desert. Fall weather is the reason I believe; with the average temps coming down along with earlier sunsets, the wildlife are just preparing for winter really. Spring mating season is what you should be worried about!

Last night I walked around the outside of the house looking along the foundation and I counted 23 black widow spiders nesting in their webs nicely. Unusual. So I figure that by another few weeks most critters will already be situated where they winter and not want to bother us humans. Anyway, it's never a bad idea to err on the side of caution when in the wilds.2cents

BLK HMMWV

Looks like CDB is taking on a new twist from family oriented guys trip to more of a guys trip. Maybe the next one can be in Vegas , or down at Parker , or maybe Glamis.

BH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks