• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc breaks anyone?

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad that retard Daniel in Oklahoma is out of business. He was giving all Rockwell guys a bad name plus defending himself saying they stole ideas from him. Steve, good to see you around this board!
I gave and i gave to daniel little, he asked me what calipers i was using and i told him. He asked me how to make an axle 6x6 so i showed him what axles to use to make and mount a gear over box on. All back in 2000 and 2001, i told him to stop ripping people off with their credit card deposits, the FED's got him. Now there is a new guy USA6x6 telling everybody that he INVENTED the large disc brakes for the 2 1/2 ton and he is the ONLY supplier. I should have pantented it 12 years ago.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
USA6X6 is a SS member

Steve, that sure was a nice looking setup that you had at the GA. rally

spicergear

USA 6x6 is a BANNED MEMBER last time I looked after being a jackass here. Yeah, Steve...everyone was stealing HIS stuff, you-, Staz, Randy O, ...it was pathetic. The man deserves(d) what he gets. It's good to see really nice solid upgrades on the market and people out trying to break them instead of sitting around waiting for the UPS delivery that never EVER shows. Anyway, my compliments to your contributions and very nice quality parts! [thumbzup] ...a lot of us will take some time getting used to that! :mrgreen:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve any word on the 5 ton conversion?
Did you get those pci's i sent? I am like a dog paddling in deep water trying to come up with disc brakes on 5 ton. I found someone that does, BUT you do not use f550 calipers on a rotor and can it 5 ton brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

Steve, Amazing work. I was designing disc brakes for 4X4 trucks back in 78. Got all kinds of flak from the government agencies telling me disc brakes were not safe for use on the rear of heavy vehicles. Amazing that a few years later Ford started using them on and boy did those brackets look a LOT like mine!:whistle: I can be pretty sure that they were not copied off of some little shop owners stuff but it sort of made me proud to see my old stuff looked just like their new stuff. Meant that I did it right. I never got anywhere near as far into it as you. Have you ever met Bob Chandler? He would love that truck of yours.

Rick

Sirblissfull

" I will do some research and see if the old M54 axles are the same as the M809 series. " was the last reply I got.

Had a picture of air disc brakes attached, exactly what I need done. Let me know when you have it worked out and if you want me to bring the entire truck or just the axles over.

spicergear

You don't need dual rear calipers if the system is designed correctly. The Unimog 406's (that I've seen with heavy options) run a pair of calipers on each front wheel and single caliper on the rears. That's also using an 18" rotor, iirc.

Yohan

This is probably a dumb question Steve, but you make this set-up with a mod that ditches the whole inner/outter bearing seals on the Deuce? Sorry I'm not really smart with this stuff.

Flat Black

Steve, good to see you on this board. Yes there are a few hundred thousand morons on pirate, but there is some good tech over there too.

How is your truck coming along? Did not know you were coming to the GA Rally with cool parts or I would have come :D

Brembo makes a 405mm rotor (16") if that helps any, but you may not want to pay the bill on it...

Also an Isuzu FTR had disc front brakes for a few years and they are 11.25" semi ten lug hubs, talk to Doug Busbee about it if you want, I was just in his yard and there are tons of them there.

I realise that drums have more surface area, especially large commercial truck drums, just never liked the tech behind them and they suck in an off road application. Surely modern technology can make a disc and caliper(s) perform in a similar manner.

EDIT: found this link looking around for 5 tons with discs, he doesnt say what rotor was used but it looks kind of small. Very nice fabwork though:

http://www.tgwforums.com/post?id=5154598

Cheers

Last edited:

spicergear

There is a s...l...o...w... but progressive trend of disc brakes on larger and larger trucks. Air disc calipers are also available and will divide the commercial market in the future. If I recall correctly last time I really dove into this topic the life expectancy of disc brakes was way more than the drums (so immediate savings there) and much less prone to heat up and fade and runaway ramps in your future as well.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, good to see you on this board. Yes there are a few hundred thousand morons on pirate, but there is some good tech over there too.

How is your truck coming along? Did not know you were coming to the GA Rally with cool parts or I would have come :D

Brembo makes a 405mm rotor (16") if that helps any, but you may not want to pay the bill on it...

Also an Isuzu FTR had disc front brakes for a few years and they are 11.25" semi ten lug hubs, talk to Doug Busbee about it if you want, I was just in his yard and there are tons of them there.

I realise that drums have more surface area, especially large commercial truck drums, just never liked the tech behind them and they suck in an off road application. Surely modern technology can make a disc and caliper(s) perform in a similar manner.

EDIT: found this link looking around for 5 tons with discs, he doesnt say what rotor was used but it looks kind of small. Very nice fabwork though:

Bobbed Deuce on 5 tons w/ disc brakes - TGW 4x4 Trucks Classifieds, Events, Information, Mega Mud Bogging, Muddin, Off Road, Offroad Racing, Truck For Sale, Truck Trader, Trucks Gone Wild

Cheers
The guys here are much more civilized than on the pirate board. The work done on this truck build is great, the brake calipers are inadequate, they will work but the 4 piston caliper from the ford F650 2000 up would be much better.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks