• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc breaks anyone?

Goose2448

Great looking product there Steve. Now I'm just thinking outside the box, but if you say sold an axle to someone, then when they had them installed, they sent you their old ones back, that might keep the cost down. What do you think of that idea? You need axles anyway.

rogersn67

Steve, this is a pretty wonderful thing.... can you do both rears and the front, while also changing the gearing to maybe get the deuce up to say 65 top speed? I would like to be able to drive a deuce on the highway here in NJ, and anyone here can tell you that 45 to 50 here might as well be a horse drawn carriage. I am not looking to go really crazy with the gearing, and I do not intend to bob mine when I get it.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, this is a pretty wonderful thing.... can you do both rears and the front, while also changing the gearing to maybe get the deuce up to say 65 top speed? I would like to be able to drive a deuce on the highway here in NJ, and anyone here can tell you that 45 to 50 here might as well be a horse drawn carriage. I am not looking to go really crazy with the gearing, and I do not intend to bob mine when I get it.
There is someone that makes a 4.90 gear sets but by the time you do 3 chucks you have spent $5,700.00 for gear sets and labor. Most guys go to the 16.00 x 20 tires.

Flat Black

There is someone that makes a 4.90 gear sets but by the time you do 3 chucks you have spent $5,700.00 for gear sets and labor. Most guys go to the 16.00 x 20 tires.
$2100 in labour to swap gears?? (gears from Randy are $1200 per set on the website store)

You buy the 4.90s from Randy Ouverson and bring them to me and I will swap all three for you for two grand :D

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$2100 in labour to swap gears?? (gears from Randy are $1200 per set on the website store)

You buy the 4.90s from Randy Ouverson and bring them to me and I will swap all three for you for two grand :D
I hope you have a large 50 ton press and all of the different shim kits, gaskets, seals, and experience to do it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
$2100 in labor isn't astronomical in my view. As Steve pointed out, you'll need tooling to do this, as well as experience. Anyone can follow instructions and get a pinion setup close. But there's a finesse to dialing one in to LAST without NOISE. It's several hours setting up just a normal ring and pinion axle. (I know, I've done it more times than I care to have) Couple that with the addition of two more gears in the assembly to deal with. Not to mention the monumental task of REMOVING the 3rd member from under a truck. Go look at your truck and think about lifting the 3rd member up another 10" or so. Not a lot of real estate without tilting the housings on the rear tandems or using a small hole/engine hoist/cable trick on the rear. Now go stare at the front end and ponder about that one....

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, what OUTSTANDING and FIRST-CLASS engineering and fabrication on the disc brake kit! VERY impressive, I'm going to have to save up for this for sure... WOW, just WOW!!!

Loco_Hosa

Although I do not forsee this happening to my truck in any kind of near future, due to costs, I am simply amazed by the workmanship.

And by your custom 6x6x6, that is something I would love to see in person!

Harleighguy

Ok Steve I'm like all the rest here....

Simply AMAZING work and attention to detail~ And that's just for the disc brakes and axles.... Now I wonder what YOUR deuce will look like when it's finished? On a side note, a few pages back is a pic with a pair of axles in a wooden box, how much for a set ready to bolt on?? My front axle has a leaking axle seal, torn boots, drums and I want to swap it all out for a reman axle and be done with it, but you have provided a different fix to my problem.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Steve I'm like all the rest here....

Simply AMAZING work and attention to detail~ And that's just for the disc brakes and axles.... Now I wonder what YOUR deuce will look like when it's finished? On a side note, a few pages back is a pic with a pair of axles in a wooden box, how much for a set ready to bolt on?? My front axle has a leaking axle seal, torn boots, drums and I want to swap it all out for a reman axle and be done with it, but you have provided a different fix to my problem.
I will start on my truck next week. The front and rear in the crate $5,300.00

ODdave

Work looks great, I just have one question. Before I ask I just want to say I am not saying ANYTHING bad about the setup but, What is the disclamer on them? Are they signed off on by DOT? Im just curious. They look more than accepable to me and plenty stout but some places get picky. Thanks.

spicergear

I'm glad that retard Daniel in Oklahoma is out of business. He was giving all Rockwell guys a bad name plus defending himself saying they stole ideas from him. Steve, good to see you around this board!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much would a total bolt on kit for a stock deuce run? I think I remember $2100 something for the front and one rear- and $950 a rear? so I'm guessing $3100 or so?

I would love to put this on the m109 for my trip to AK. With an LDS, disc brakes, power steering, and the OD tranny gears, it would shave a WEEK off my transit time and make it a very nice and safe ride as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks