• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

coachgeo

Well shoot... no face book and this is the only way to get a hold of him? and facebook is the only way to pay... what happened to cash?
Well for now it worked out..... just got word from him he has barely enough to complete the long list of orders he has so he is no longer selling them till things wind down further. Seems he is thinking a few months before he gets thru the list and again reassess his stock.

spankybear

Well for now it worked out..... just got word from him he has barely enough to complete the long list of orders he has so he is no longer selling them till things wind down further. Seems he is thinking a few months before he gets thru the list and again reassess his stock.
Are there any other sources out there?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the gears are all set up correctly in the 3rd member, what does the swap entail? Do you just pull the axle shafts, and swap the 3rd members? I guess on the front you can't just pull the shafts, and so that might require taking the whole knuckle off/apart, correct?

Rebuilder

If the gears are all set up correctly in the 3rd member, what does the swap entail? Do you just pull the axle shafts, and swap the 3rd members? I guess on the front you can't just pull the shafts, and so that might require taking the whole knuckle off/apart, correct?
Correct. The rear is easy, just pull the axles and drive shaft and replace the 3rd member. The front knuckles stay but you need to remove everything else. It's a little daunting at first but not too bad once you get into it.

coachgeo

Correct. The rear is easy, just pull the axles and drive shaft and replace the 3rd member. The front knuckles stay but you need to remove everything else. It's a little daunting at first but not too bad once you get into it.
Do you recall what/where in the TM 's you found most helpful in doing the swap in the front and rear?

Rebuilder

Do you recall what/where in the TM 's you found most helpful in doing the swap in the front and rear?
Mostly here.... ARMY TM 9-2320-365-20-3 FRONT AND REAR AXLE MAINTENANCE PAGE 10-1

Some good info here as well.... ARMY TM 9-2320-365-34-2 FRONT AXLE MAINTENANCE PAGE 9-1 and REAR AXLE MAINTENANCE 10-1

deshet

I have access to a large number of fullsize school buses and various other larger vehicles with similar sized axles. Does anyone know if some other (non-military) vehicles have gears that would work? The military has been big about using COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) parts for years now and I assume/hope that these gears are available on other vehicles.

Has anyone tracked this down? Also can someone PM the contact details for the guy on facebook that travels around with these; I don't have a facebook account?

Thanks

scottmandu

I have access to a large number of fullsize school buses and various other larger vehicles with similar sized axles. Does anyone know if some other (non-military) vehicles have gears that would work? The military has been big about using COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) parts for years now and I assume/hope that these gears are available on other vehicles.
Has anyone tracked this down? Also can someone PM the contact details for the guy on facebook that travels around with these; I don't have a facebook account?
Thanks
The military does use off the shelf components, the axles are meritor RF-611 axles. In my travels I've not found anything else remotely close to working.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks
These Meritor RF-611 axles are Military only.

deshet

I know that the overall axle is Military specific and I may be completely off!!!!
But Meritor does make bus axles and axles for over the road trucks. They may make there own gears but wondering if a standard is followed. The resellers have to get there parts from somewhere, maybe they have an up fitters or dismantlers contract with the military. Are there that many MRAPs getting refit already? They seem to use standard gear ratios available in regular semi trucks.

https://www.meritor.com/productsand...orthamerica/meritor/nameritor_driveaxles.aspx

This article talks about the H14 being a standard. I may be reaching but I am hoping that other options are available. The R&D department that I support rarely builds something complete from starch these usually start with something proven as a bases.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/139232/meritor-launches-most-efficient-drive-axle-ever

Also, is what I need on any of the military trailers? I live near a big DRMO site and I am hoping to get lucky if I can't get one through the axle railroad.

Thanks

Last edited:

coachgeo

This axle holds the only possibility of gear sets, look at the ratios.
Thanks Steve. Interesting that is shows in that PDF ratios 4.88-7.80 ... so question is..... is there just two ratios or is that a miss type / misuse of the dash and there is several ratios available between.

Beside that..... our fast axle ratio (oxymoron) ring gear size of 3.07 and the one calculated to be best in a perfect world at our typical rpm ranges works out to a ring gear size 2.80 (which doesn't exist) ........ soooo above axle gears appear to not help at all ifff ratios they show are ring gear..... now if it is final ratio's AFTER hub reduction...... it looks promising.

something that has not been considered.... or least have not read about....... is reducing the hub reduction less than 2 to 1.

Note.... Have read that having gears inside the hub rather they be installed like ours or those in a portal axle do reduce stress on the ring and pinion. Spreads forces out over several components.

Last edited:

spankybear

Remember there is also a gear reduction at the hubs also... I believe the 307 is the ring gear and not the final to the wheels after the geared hubs...

coachgeo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks