• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Food service for Ga Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alredneck

Banned
I will stop and pickup some roadkill on the way down from TN! That should solve the meat issue! Now wheres my banjo!:-D

Count 2ea for me, im dragging Woody to his first rally!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Poppop, Twright...and all others with goodies to bring........you good folks will help to keep the price of meals low and the quality high.

Fall greens....OH YEA!!!!Cornbread.....OH YEA!!!! Boiled peanuts....OH YEA!!! :jumpin::jumpin:

I will bring my large cast iron skillet to make sure it is real southern corn bread....made with bacon grease from breakfast of course.....not that pale sweet imitation that is often passed off as cornbread.

And........Bama Lady is going to send boxes of cookies (which will be rationed out by the cookie marshal) for dessert.:drool::drool:
Our chickens are producing more eggs than we can eat so I see omelets at least one morning.

Gimpy.......I was using 4 bucks a meal as a guide...could be less for plain meals....more if we get a deal on some grill steak for the Sat. night meal....at any rate we will prob just set up a Kitty and take donations......otherwise we may run afoul of the health dept.
I have had all my shots but I don't know about you other guys.:-D

The idea is not to make a lot of money.....just have some good Army type chow (well, maybe better than Army chow) at a better price than what is available locally.

It will also allow folks who have never been in the military to see how meals are prepared in the field on genuine Army equipment.

Keep the good ideas and donations coming...we will plan the meals based on what we have on hand on any given day.

At least one meal will be hot dogs, beans and chips.
Prob another will be spagetti with garlic bread and salad.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't see any reason not to set a price. Gives you a guideline to keep ratios close. Count me in as is for $60. As long as I sell some snake oil, I might be able to kick in more. I hate to leave anyone with the short end of the stick!

Alredneck

Banned
WM: I take it then Woodys shacking up with you! He likes to snuggle, I was violated in Apoc in OK on a trip to recover our trucks back in the day. Never been the same since. :oops:

EWWEEE!!! Fixins a plenty, grunts never get enough chow! Sounds like stone soup for everyone, I got the stone!:-D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Long post, so be patient.

OK, so far as a head count, it is probably a safe bet to estimate that the size of the event will double over last year. I never bother to do Ga. Rally sign up sheets because the informal nature of the event usually does not require them, plus they are frequently inaccurate (people don't sign up, or they sign up and then can't come to the rally, etc.). I am not sure how much luck we will have doing a sign up this late in the game, either.

Can you post an exact menu? I know in a pm, Mike said "we figured bacon, eggs, grist, SOS, biscuits for most breakfasts, with one morning being pancakes and fixings. One lunch would be hot dogs and chili, with baked beans and cole slaw, another would probably be hamburgers and we might have cold cuts/sandwiches at another. One supper could be spaghetti, and maybe some pork chops with fixings for another. Might could even have steaks if we could get a deal. Richard is looking at getting a large sack of potatoes as they can be used in a number of recipes." I think people can decide better if they know exactly what they are signing up for. I know I love spaghetti so I would definitely be up for that. :razz:

So the plan is to serve Fri, Sat, and Sunday (morning only)? This is 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners?

First, I would try and contact the members who we think are coming and ask them if they are interested. Make sure that they know that participation in the food program is not required or even expected, it is only an option we are offering. The whole point of Ga Rally is a non-regimented, easy going excuse to play with army trucks, not a rigid, timelined event. Again, this probably won't be easy and we will surely miss people. Below is a list of who I think is coming.

Now, setting a time for chow will be easy for breakfast and lunch but dinner might be tricky. If the trailrides in the afternoon take longer than expected, you guys may have 50 meals cooked and no one to consume them! Not sure how we will do this.

How will you know who has paid for the service? Have them pay one meal at a time? have them buy a ticket at the beginning of the rally? Put their names on a list hanging in the MKT? Doesn't matter to me, however you guys wanna' do it.

Ok, here is the list that I can come up with. Understand I had to go off memory and the threads that have been posted. If I left you out, it's by mistake. Please add to this thread and let us know if you are coming and if you are interested in taking part with the food service. If I have listed you as a participant and you will not be makign the rally, please let us know. A question mark after the name means I don't know who you are bringing and a question mark in parenthesis means your attendance is not carved in stone or unknown.

clinto & clinto g/f
Wreckerman893 & Bamalady
exbrown
alredneck
woodywood
speddmon
scooter01922 & Salafrae & guest
Poppop & Wife
SCSG-G4
mdmorgan
gimpyrobb
timntrucks & wife
twright & ?
HndrsonJ & ?
Phil2968 & Wife
dc3coyote
BFR
Blake
Recovry4x4
jw4x4
73M819
airmech3839
Squirt truck
Dumpster (?)
Oilcan (?)
Blythewoodjoe
rmgill
Big Case
Sevo
Green gator
Vonny-socom1
davidkroberts
SixSpeed
Ferroequinologist
86M10086.2L
SteaminJim
pjpiche1 & brother
glcaines
Chinookpilot77 (?)
TaylorTradingCo
zout
1958M274
Butch Atkins
Carnac
Doghead & DHW
Am General & g/f

Alright, time for the disclaimers:

If you die, we aren't responsible rofl
If you get an upset tummy, we aren't responsible rofl
If you gain weight, we aren't responsible rofl
If you lose weight, we aren't responsible rofl

And in all seriousness.............. Please do not feel that taking part in the food service is required or expected.... I myself am a picky eater and I am sure at some meal, what the MKT offers won't be inline with what I want, so I will end up at my hooch or the D-town restaurant. Ga. Rally participants are always free to do what they want, without having to worry about others giving them a hard time. No one is going to think you are being anti social if you want to eat somewhere else. Wreckerman and SCSG-G4 are offering this solely becuase they are good dudes who want to help out and everyone loved Cabel's MKT at the Haspin rally. So do as you please!

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro & wife, +1. Also Sevo +1 The five of us had made a menu, but I'll talk to Chris and see if we will partake in some of the MKT grub. My thoughts are we will. :wink: Especially with promises of these fabled cookies I keep hearing about...

One thing that Cabell and I noticed in Haspin, was we needed a way to keep track of who paid. By Sat several new people had shown up and we started asking because we were getting confused. Not saying that any SS memeber would pilfer grub, but with this many people, and not everyone has a face with the name, some outsiders may try and slip in.

Also, sometimes by the time the dishes were done, the camp was empty, everyone left to play without us. :cry:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Clinto, this is voluntary, not required. In addition, if anyone wants to cook their own grub, or thinks an MKT is in their future and wants to practice beforehand. Well, we will give lessons so long as it does not interfere with cooking for folks that are contributing to the group cooking effort. Many hands make light work, and a fully equipped MKT is supposed to have a mess sargeant and four cooks to run it (plus KP's) and the cooks will be fed, even if they are last to eat.

I will press my buddies at MVCSC to clean out the shop van so we can put the beer coo...er, horizontal refrigerator and chest freezer in it. then it will become the pantry I envisioned it to be.

poppop

Clint, in the roster you have bob130 and wife as coming, well they probably will not. Bob says he may ride his motorcycle up on Sat to meet some of the guys.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clint, in the roster you have bob130 and wife as coming, well they probably will not. Bob says he may ride his motorcycle up on Sat to meet some of the guys.
Fixed-sorry to do so. Was looking forward to shooting the breeze with bob again.

exbrown

I have some alligator sausage that I can bring, if anyone is interested. My 14 year old killed a 10'6" gator this year.

I have 2 MKT-90s that I have to pick up from New York, so I am interested in seeing one in action.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have some alligator sausage that I can bring, if anyone is interested.
If it walks, talks, sqawks, swims, flaps or flies we will cook it and serve it.

My neighbor raises catfish and Tilapia...I am trying to horse trade for enough for a meal.

Catfish, hushpuppies, fries and slaw....MMMM MMMM MMMMMMM

And to wash it down....Wreckerman's infamous sweet (so sweet it makes your teeth hurt) tea.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanno, maybe I should rethink my participation in this great food service. I'm very narrow minded when it comes to fewd!

AMGeneral

I didn't see"AMGeneral & G/F"in that list Clint,You know I'm gonna be there.

I'd definetly kick in some $$$$ for food or help or both,G/F is kinda a picky eater so she may eat in the local kitchen at DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks