• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Food service for Ga Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blythewoodjoe

Catfish,

A couple of things. If you guys want some catfish, I can ponder bringing a few. First off I don't clean anything except the house. If you are interested I can snag a couple and put them in a container and bring them down Friday night. I have been trying to give a hand full away for a while and nobody wants to come and get them. PM me or call me at 803-309-7928.

Next I would like to share my feelings on food. I do so only to give some insight. I think one of the things I like most about this rally is it's very open and free. I like the fact that what ever you guys do is optional. Having said that it is nice to have food available. I rarely eat all of the stuff on any menu for a weekend and anytime it's a set price for the whole event I always feel I didn't get my moneys worth. I also realize that it is easiest on unpaid personal to do things that way. I wouldn't want to go to all this trouble to have people pick and chose over the food avaible and then end up with stuff left over. I am not asking anyone to go to that much trouble.

That brings me to how I operate. If you guys are going to do a set price for the whole weekend, we won't go that route. It's not a bad route, it's just not us this weekend. If you have stuff available on "per meal" basis, or if you have it availabe like a conventional resturant, me and the ladies will probably eat there some. Again, I am not trying to influence you guys or anything like that, I'm just offering some insite on how I view meals at gathering like this. I resisted Cabells food at Aberdeen a few months ago, but then I started eating and couldn't stop. So I am about as indecisive as people get. And I will have two very unpredictable women with me.

I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, but I thought I would chime in. But seriousely, if you want some good size fish with the guts and heads intact, let me know.

Joe

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I am plucking this chicken (ya'll just stand back and watch the feathers fly) I am going to make a command decsion.
Meals will be on a per meal "suggested donation" basis depending on main course. I think we will be able to do breakfast for 2-3 bucks (hotcakes and bacon/sausage....if you want eggs or other items we will adjust) lunch and diner 4-5 bucks (unless we have steak or seafood). We should be able to furnish tea and/or coffee with the meal...if you want soda or juice BYOB.
Since we are gettting a lot of donations we will offer them as side dishes (where applicable) and include them in the meal price.
I am going to purchase some staples, spices, condiments and other stuff we will need as basic items. I will be reimbursed for my cost from funds generated (as will anybody else that purchases items for the meals). Any profit will go to Clinto to help with costs associated with the rally.
If you want to contribute foodstuffs we will give you credit for your donations at a mutually agreed on value (if you want).
I will work with Mike and we will post a menu (for three meals on Friday and Sat and breakfast Sunday) a few days before the rally. If you don't like a particular meal we have posted you can eat your own chow or at Durhamtown's cafe.
KP's will eat free for the meal they assist on.
If you want to bring your own plates and silverware you can use the sink to clean them.
Paper plates and plastic ware donations would help.
This is an experiment and if it is successful we can continue it if the MKT is available.
Thanks for all the support.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked with Chris (Sevo) and the ladies, and I think we can be counted on to at least eat breakfast from the MKT. We may jump in if something looks especially tasty or we just don't feel like cooking for some reason.

I agree with Joe, sometimes you just want to pay as you go. LOL.

Thanks WM and Mike for putting this on, I know how hard it can be working with Cabell at Haspin. But it is pretty rewarding too, when the camp is quiet because they are too busy stuffing their faces with what you cooked. :-D

And Mike, I am bringing my imersion heater as well. Never can have too many.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't see"AMGeneral & G/F"in that list Clint,You know I'm gonna be there.

Fixed, sorry.

Since I am plucking this chicken (ya'll just stand back and watch the feathers fly) I am going to make a command decsion.
Meals will be on a per meal "suggested donation" basis depending on main course. I think we will be able to do breakfast for 2-3 bucks (hotcakes and bacon/sausage....if you want eggs or other items we will adjust) lunch and diner 4-5 bucks (unless we have steak or seafood). We should be able to furnish tea and/or coffee with the meal...if you want soda or juice BYOB.
Since we are gettting a lot of donations we will offer them as side dishes (where applicable) and include them in the meal price.
I am going to purchase some staples, spices, condiments and other stuff we will need as basic items. I will be reimbursed for my cost from funds generated (as will anybody else that purchases items for the meals). Any profit will go to Clinto to help with costs associated with the rally.
If you want to contribute foodstuffs we will give you credit for your donations at a mutually agreed on value (if you want).
I will work with Mike and we will post a menu (for three meals on Friday and Sat and breakfast Sunday) a few days before the rally. If you don't like a particular meal we have posted you can eat your own chow or at Durhamtown's cafe.
KP's will eat free for the meal they assist on.
If you want to bring your own plates and silverware you can use the sink to clean them.
Paper plates and plastic ware donations would help.
This is an experiment and if it is successful we can continue it if the MKT is available.
Thanks for all the support.
I think Clinto g/f and I have a boatload of disposable plates and silverware we can donate. I need it out of the kitchen.

Agreed on the per meal basis-Blythewood Joe's post encapsulates perfectly my position as well.

Last edited:

1crook

We have about 100 plates, 35 cups, and some napkins that we can donate. Unfortunately we did not have the silverware that we thought that we had.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size are your cups?:roll:

1crook

Hahahahaha. I did not expect it to go that way DH!!!

First someone wants to see me topless and now they want to know the size of my cups. Go figure.

airmech3839

My two boys and I will be there and maybe my wife and two little girls...all kids 10 and under.... I am in that would save me having to prep bring a bunch of stuff....I am gonna try and be there Thurs. so I can help set up too!

Tracy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Here it is folks....sorry PB we opted for spaghetti instead of chili Mac.

Ok folks, Mike and I have reached a meeting of the minds on the meals for the GA Rally.
Breakfast, lunch and supper (dinner for you foreigners) will be served Friday and Saturday.
There will be a Sunday morning breakfast (prob a hearty breakfast to get rid of the remaining supplies).
No lunch as folks will be leaving.
Breakfast will be hotcakes (all you can eat) and three pieces of bacon (and any other meat we have). I am bringing farm fresh eggs and you can have eggs to order. We are planning on having biscuits so breakfast sandwiches are an option. No respectable southern breakfast would be complete without grits. And……as promised SOS………… will be served.
Suggested donation for breakfast meal is $5.00
Lunch Friday will be (2) hot dogs, baked beans, fries with the usual condiments.
Supper Friday will be spaghetti with (mystery) meat. Salad and garlic bread plus any donated sides that show up. If we have leftovers seconds are authorized.
Lunch Saturday will be (2) hamburgers, beans and fries. Usual condiments will be available.
Supper Saturday will be fried chicken, mashed or fried taters and salad (if any is left from Friday).
Suggested donation for lunch is $4.50, supper is $6.50.
Sweet tea will be free with all meals as will Bama Lady cookies (if we can keep Papa Bear out of the box).
Coffee and Kool-aid will be available also.

The main idea is to demonstrate the MKT and give folks a good meal for a decent price.
We promise that no one will leave the mess tent hungry.
As previously stated any profit made after Mike and I are reimbursed for our expenses will be given to Clinto the help defray cost.
Ya'll come and eat hearty.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM and Mike, that sounds like a wonderful menu to have. Sounds like very reasonable donations as well!!! I can't wait to taste these cookies I keep reading about.

I just hope the tea is sweet enough!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks