• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Change Coming In Wisconsin

undysworld

621 whats?
621 citizens registered In Favor of the bill. A "really popular" bill is lucky to get 100-150 citizens In Favor. Our total was described as "mind blowing", by the authoring Senator's office.

There are 5 members of the Senate Transportation Committee who will vote on the bill.

It still needs to clear the Assy Trans Comm and then both full house votes prior to going to the Gov.

hlcrkfrm

Paul you and Tom did a great job at the hearing , But I have to say you look nothing like I thought you would. Thank you for helping us all.

trukhead

I followed the link and watched the video. I went to look for the applause emoticon, I can't find one so:
Applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,applause,applause,applause,applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause, applause,

[thumbzup]

undysworld

This continues to move ahead. There is now a Public Hearing before the Assembly Transportation Committee scheduled for Tues. May 21 at 1pm in the State Capitol Rm. 417N.

See you there!

KORNDOG

Paul and Tom,
It was disturbing to hear your testimony on how the DMV has been treating people with collector and military vehicles. At the same time it was comforting to hear that I was not alone, and that there are people fighting for our rights. Although my story was not as extreme as some that you guys mentioned, most people don't even realize that there are ways to push back, and quit after hearing " the law is the law", with basically an inoperable vehicle as a result. Thanks again for all of your efforts, and it was great to meet you! Chris

saddamsnightmare

May 22nd, 2013.Good luck,guys! We here in Illinois are rooting for you and hope that your results will be something like our "FMV" registration created by Ma Deuce, or the Texas FMV regulations, as the fear was that our state here would catch the Wis DMV illness, as Unimogs are probably as rare as Pinzgauers......Your efforts rates a "Thumbs UP!" We're all rooting for you...[thumbzup]

undysworld

Update: The Assy. Hearing went well. Tom and I testified, and nobody else spoke against us. We're now waiting semi-patiently for the Transportation Committees to vote on the bill. Thanks to everybody who registered in favor of the bill on our online signup (now closed).

I'll let you know how the votes go, asap.

Chris,

It was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for attending the hearing. It's pretty astounding what some folks have been put through.

You are correct that most folks don't have any idea about what to do when DOT says "no". I didn't either, when things first started. Even if they know how to fight back, most people are still reluctant to try.

I'll admit it's a lot of work, but somebody's got to stand up for what's right. (From my perspective, unless you just happen to like OD colored vehicles, that idea of standing up for what's right has a lot to do with why most guys here care enough to preserve these vehicles.) They tossed my truck off the road, and I had no choice but to fight back. Tom was faced with a similarly urgent situation.

The only sure thing about it is that if you choose not to fight, then you're doomed to losing. Since we've chosen to fight this out, we're giving it everything we've got. Losing is an option I'm just not willing to accept.

Regards,
Paul

undysworld

Bump to top.

This is the most current thread about legislation in Wis., and I want it to be the first one people see.

Word last week is that votes on the bill will likely not occur until Sept. That's politics. We're disappointed, but undeterred. Stay tuned.

VenomInjected

Just because I read statues like a kindergartner does calculus.....

An m1008 (being under 10,000# GVWR) i can register it with a regular 'normal' class 'c' pickup truck (8000#) CORRECT???

(Looking at a 1008 which currently has hobbyist plates on it now in WI... hopefully switching from hobbyist to regular 'c' plates is no big deal either.)

KORNDOG

As long as you don't plan on carrying more than 8000lbs.
Your registration is for how much your truck actually weighs gross.
The truck may be capable of more, but if you don't exceed 8000lbs, that
Plate would be fine. We were stopped by a state trooper and he made
Us follow him to a scale to check the weight.
I run a "C" plate on my m1008. Last time at the scrap yard it grossed 6800.
Curb weight was around 6000.

undysworld

VenomInjected,

You are CORRECT, that an M1008 CAN BE REGISTERED with Light Truck C plates in Wisconsin once again. You have your choice of applicable plates: Light Truck, Farm, Collector, Hobbyist, etc. (You have to own a farm for Farm plates, vehicle must be over 20 years old for Collector/Hobbyist, etc.)

Changing it back from Hobbyist to Light Truck should be no big deal.

Similarly, if you previously registered it as HMV, it is now eligible for all applicable plates. However, DMV would have Branded the Title as "Eligible for HMV Only". Even if you keep your HMV registration, you probably would want to get this Title Brand removed, since it's no longer relevant, and could cause confusion in future registration.

ANYONE WHO HAS DIFFICULTY GETTING A HMV-ONLY TITLE BRAND REMOVED, SHOULD CONTACT EITHER MYSELF OR TOM ZAT @ ALFA HEAVEN, as we have established contacts in WisDOT who can straighten this out. Hopefully, you have no difficulty, and no need for us!

Korndog is right about the 8000# gvw limit on Light Truck C plates. But you could buy a Kaiser M715 Jeep Pickup, license it as a Collector, and be totally exempted from the weight restrictions... s.341.266(1)(am)(2), Wis. Stats. We have the DOT's stubborn attorney to thank for that one. It's funny how the law works sometimes... :p

undysworld

Update on the ongoing legislation:

We are anticipating a vote in the Senate Trans. Comm. within the month. Following that, the full houses (Senate and Assy.) will reconvene in mid Sept. We are optimistic about a full house vote late in September.

Stay tuned...

VenomInjected

I was thinking of getting an M1008 with 'C' plates (8000# GVWR) and another 3000# trailer plate for an M101A2. This allows me to use all my left over GVWR in the bed of the m1008[around 2000 lbs] (vs having the 1500# trailer count against the vehicle). [I wanted to say this so guys don't have to get into 'commercial plates' for private use in order to haul a full jag of wood, dirt, gravel, etc... Legally.

undy... keep at it.. you and Tom are putting out of the bureaucratic https://www.google.com/search?clien...a=X&ei=P4QLUpjGJIfU2QXe-oDACQ&ved=0CCsQvwUoAAdumpster fire for all of us!

undysworld

UPDATE!!!

Today the Assembly Transportation Committee passed this bill by a unanimous vote. This is a huge step!

The bill now moves toward a vote in the full Assembly, and must still be approved by the Senate before it goes to the Governor for a signature.

Stay tuned for further developments...

Thanks to all of you for your support. Keep it up!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks