• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Change Coming In Wisconsin

undysworld

Our bill is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Transportation Committee on Thursday, Sept. 5!

This will allow it to move towards a vote in the full Senate.

It continues...

trukhead

Our bill is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Transportation Committee on Thursday, Sept. 5!

This will allow it to move towards a vote in the full Senate.

It continues...
Will a phone call to members of the Senate Transportation Committee to enunciate the need and my support for this legislation come to a positive end?

Can anyone suggest a more appropriate synonym for enunciate to promote a happy, agreeable feeling that gets these public servants in the mood to support this?

Thanks undysworld and Tom for your work and effort! All you Wisconsin, get on your haunches and holla at these pubic servants, It's our state as well. I will keep doing something even after thefat lady sings

undysworld

Trukhead,

Well, as much as I hate to discourage public participation, at this point I think we should remain silent.

I've been told that at least one of the five members of the Sen. Trans. Comm. does not like to be barraged with calls, and I'm comfortable that the committee is behind our bill. No need to call them right now, IMHO.

Thanks to everybody who's helped and supported us during the past 6 years. (Special notice should go to Tom L., Mark P., Robert R., Kathy and John K., Renee E., and others I'm sure I'm forgetting.)

Regards,
Paul

ps See y'all at MilFest in 10 days!!!

undysworld

Today, the Senate Transportation Committee voted 5-0 In Favor of our bill.

This means we have gotten the unanimous approval of the Transportation Committees in both houses, the Senate and the Assembly. The next step is a floor vote before the full Senate and the full Assembly. If they both pass our bill, then we just need the Governor to sign it.fat lady sings

The legislature will be convening for full sessions beginning Sept. 17th. Our bill will be heard by each house sometime after that.

Stay tuned for updates.

3dAngus

Outstanding for sure.
You can make change. Just have to do it right, and have tons of patience. Congratulations. Hopefully, this will be a template for many others in their states to follow.

undysworld

This continues to move ahead. We're scheduled for a vote before the Assembly next Tuesday, Oct 15.

Assuming we get passed, we just need Gov. Walker's signature.

Way to go everybody!! Call your Assy. Rep. and urge them to vote In Favor.

undysworld

Sorry for the delay here. My hard-drive crashed last Wed. (the day after the vote!), and I just got things resolved. Thank God for my brother!

This bill passed the vote before the full Assembly last Tuesday, clearing the way for it to be signed into law by the Governor. fat lady sings

It will likely be a month or so before Gov. Walker signs it. It will take effect 3 months after that date.

Huge Thanks to all of you who helped support these efforts!!

Please feel free to Celebrate!!:beer:

zout

Celebrating here Bro - great new - difficult task that was involved to get to this point and you have my full respect for hanging in there - I will say Georgia is NEXT on the Totem pole to change.

chadande

This is good news for the MV loving folks here in the Badger State. Thanks for all you guys have done to make life easier for the rest of us!

Cheers! :beer:

undysworld

Signed into law by Gov. Walker yesterday!! Tom and I attended. Major victory for all owners and collectors.
Many thanks to Sen. Glenn Grothman and Assy. Rep. Steve Kestell for their sponsorship.
Many more thanks to those of you who helped push for passage of this law.

3dAngus

Congratulations for a job well done.

A good lifelong friend of mine, and a three star General, upon having lunch together at the club, said "Dell, the difference between doing good work and excellent work is just "this much!" Holding his thumb and forefinger together with a barely visible air gap between.

Your work has been long and excellent. You cannot give up and persistence is key to getting change in government.

Thanks for another example of excellent work.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Signed into law by Gov. Walker yesterday!! Tom and I attended. Major victory for all owners and collectors.
Many thanks to Sen. Glenn Grothman and Assy. Rep. Steve Kestell for their sponsorship.

Many more thanks to those of you who helped push for passage of this law.
so its 90 days till enacted? or is it as of today.... and just in time for a blowen deuce head gasket.. grrrrrrr. great job to all that participated.. thanks Paul & Tom..
J.P.

undysworld

The effective date is Mar. 1, 2014.

Sorry, I should have posted that here. (First day of the third month following the signing, not counting the month of the signing.)

JP,
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your truck. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Paul

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul awesome to hear, I know this has been a long long journey but you have helped the military hobbiest not only in Wisconsin but across the nation!

Hats Off to a job well done!

undysworld

Tom and I have prepared a handout for owners, to give an overview of how Wis. Lifetime Registration laws effect things. It is written to reflect the law that will take effect on Mar. 1, 2014. It has not yet been reviewed nor approved by WisDOT, but we simply summarized Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code. To our knowledge, it is accurate.

Anyone who wants me to email them the actual handout (it prints out better), drop me a pm with your email address.

Wisconsin Lifetime-Registration Options
Effective Date Mar. 1, 2014
In addition to the various annual-renewal license plates available (such as Auto, Truck, Farm, etc.), Wisconsin offers several lifetime-registration options. These are available for a variety of motor vehicles, with certain requirements for each category. Some vehicles will be eligible for more than one type of registration. This is meant to give you an overview of each registration option, and help you decide which you might qualify for. Lifetime-registration license plates stay with the original applicant and can be transferred to a different vehicle (with a fee), but cannot be transferred to a different individual.
Regardless of the type of registration you choose, virtually all vehicles must comply with Wis. Statute Ch. 347 and Wis. Administrative Code Trans305 Equipment Standards. Also, commercial vehicles and trucks in excess of 26,000# gvw must comply with US DOT requirements.
Lifetime-Registration options, Plates, Statutes, Requirements and Restrictions.
Antique Motor Vehicle (Antique)
Special Interest (Collector)
Reconstructed / Replica / Street Modified / Homemade Vehicles (Hobbyist)
Historic Military Vehicle (HMV)

Antique Motor Vehicle (Antique)
Wis. Stat. 341.265
License Plate Cost: $5.00
Requirements: Must be model year 1945 or earlier, totally original condition.
Restrictions: Operation to & from display, parade, testing, maintenance and storage only.

Special Interest (Collector)
Wis. Stat. 341.266
License Plate Cost: Twice regular annual fee for the vehicle, plus $50.
Requirements: Owner must also register a "daily driver" with annual registration. Vehicle must be 20 yrs. old or older. Vehicle may be modified, but body must appear stock, and is being preserved by a Collector.
Restrictions: The vehicle cannot be operated in January (unless a special permit is purchased), and trucks cannot exceed 500# payload.
Exemptions: Four specific Former Military Vehicles can be registered as Collector, and yet are exempted from the originality requirement and from the payload restriction (Pinzgauer, Kaiser Jeep M-715, Humvee, and DUKW "Duck").

Reconstructed / Replica / Street Modified / Homemade Vehicles (Hobbyist)
Wis. Stat. 341.268
License Plate Cost: Twice regular annual fee for the vehicle, plus $50.
Requirements: Owner must also register a "daily driver" with annual registration. Reconstructed and Street Modified vehicles must be based on a vehicle 20 yrs. old or older. Replica vehicles must resemble a vehicle 20 yrs. old or older. Vehicle may be modified, including body.
Restrictions: The vehicle cannot be operated in January (unless a special permit is purchased), and trucks cannot exceed 500# payload. A vehicle which "no longer resembles the original manufactured vehicle" may be considered a Reconstructed vehicle and may have more stringent requirements. May require a State Patrol inspection for compliance with Wis. Ch. 347 & Trans305 Equipment Standards.

Historic Military Vehicles (HMV)
Wis. Stat. 341.269
License Plate Cost: $30
Requirements: Vehicle must have rubber tires (no tracked vehicles), and be in original military design and markings. Import vehicles must be older than 25-yrs. U.S. vehicles may be of any age. May be a trailer.
Restrictions: The vehicle may be used year-round for special purposes such as display, parades, and for occasional personal use (not regular use) with no payload restriction.
Does My Vehicle Qualify?
Obviously these choices of Lifetime Registration options have certain requirements which must be met. But you've probably got some choices. Here's an overview of which vehicles likely may meet those requirements.

If you have a domestic or import (not ex-military or govt. surplus) vehicle:
Of any age may qualify for annual renewal choices.
Older than 20 years, with a stock-appearing body may qualify for Hobbyist or Collector.
Older than 20 years, with a modified body may qualify for a Hobbyist.
Model-year 1945 or older may qualify for an Antique.

If you have an ex-military (or govt. surplus) vehicle:
U.S. of any age may qualify for annual renewal choices or HMV
U.S. or imported older than 20 years may also qualify for Collector or Hobbyist.
Import older than 25 years may qualify for annual renewal choices, Collector, Hobbyist, or HMV.
U.S. or import older than model-year 1945 may qualify for Antique.

If you have a Pinzgauer, Kaiser M-715, Humvee, and DUKW "Duck", you hit gold:
Of any age, may qualify for annual renewal choices, Hobbyist, or HMV (Pinzgauer must be 25-yrs. old for HMV).
Older than 25 years may qualify for Collector (with special exemptions).

Prepared by Paul Underwood undy@mhtc.net and Tom Zat cosmo4info@gmail.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks