• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Change Coming In Wisconsin

Thor81

Ok, new to the site and found this thread. Question; say I buy a 6x6 MTV and mostly want to use it on my farm, may want to put a dump box on, or who knows what else. Can I register it as a Farm truck? And would the then same rules apply that I would not need a CDL if within 150 air miles (IIRC) of home and can still take it to pick up groceries (Our dually is Farm registered and we asked DMV about taking it and 5th wheel to AK, they said sure farm vehicles need vacations too, just that in that case the 6x6 MTV would require I have a CDL then).

The same question but on a HMMWV, or can that just never be registered, or would for farm use it be considered like a farm tractor and so long as you were doing farm work or pulling an imp of husbandry it be fine, just not to get groceries, so then it could run dyed diesel too?

Right now its just a though, but would like to know before I got serious about it. I'm not really the type that would care about going to shows or parades with it, though I might but not the main reason for it. Obviously if I got really serious about it I would go right to the DMV and ask, and talk to a relative that is a retired state trooper that might atleast know who more I should ask.

Last edited:

undysworld

If you own a farm and do farming, then you can register a former military vehicle as a Farm truck. You likely do not need that CDL if you stay under 26k#, unless you use it otherwise commercially. Regardless of what (someone at) DMV told you, I don't know about vacations. Here's what their web page reads:
Farm trucks

Trucks licensed as farm trucks may not be used for any non-farm occupation, trade or employment. If you use your truck for an outside job or other commercial purpose, you need to license your truck as a dual purpose farm vehicle. You may use a farm truck for personal or family purposes but not for commuting to another job. A heavy farm truck (registered at 38,000 lbs. or more) may not be used for personal or family purposes.

If you have a Humvee and have a title for it then you can register it for Farm. The laws on Implements of Husbandry were recently changed here. I think you'd get in trouble trying to drive a Humvee as an IoH here. Not sure on the dyed fuel issue.

Any questions to DMV should be in writing, so the reply is too. If it isn't in writing, then it doesn't count.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks