• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Change Coming In Wisconsin

trukhead

Awesome! It appears my M35A3 does not fall under any age restriction as the old (present law dictates), so I am free to register it as any appropriate annual or bi-annual (farm) registration I choose. Thanks a bunch for Yours and Toms EFFORT and to all who have contacted the gov.:mrgreen:

saddamsnightmare

January 15th, 2014.

Three Cheers and a Tiger for you all in Wisconsin! You all owe Undysworld and Tom a great round of thanks for pulling the FMV/HMV irons outta the DMV fire! Should they come down to visit me here at the Lincoln Home, I shall guarantee them a free tour during business hours, and point out a place or two for a good pizza.... Who knows? I might even be able to afford the pizza in question!

jsbrusty2

New to SS and looking for a M923A2 in Indiana, but going to be moving back to Wisconsin at some point.

So I started checking into WI law and extremely disappointed when I read "parade" and "to show" limitations.

Hat's off to you guys doing an awesome job making WI more MV friendly. Fixing the stupidity in Madison. You guys did awesome. Thank you.

nchittendon

Good day all! I logged on a few years back to look into deuces and to possibly pursue my want (read NEED) to have one. Back then, I saw the law wasn't on our side but things were "coming." After reading this I am extremely excited since today I just took a ride in one that I may be purchasing soon. I wanted to double check Wisconsin state laws and I still need to convince my better half (the hardest part). The one i'm looking at is a 1970 AM General M35a2C I am told. I am looking to buy as a hobby. Drive it occasionally, hit car shows, parades, whatever may come up. Wanting to show it off and let the masses climb all over it and get to know her better. Give my son and I something to tinker with. According to what I'm reading, I can take the title to my Wisconsin DMV and register this baby, right? It looks as though there is a $30 plate for lifetime use, and an annual fee? Am I reading that all correctly?

nchittendon

Just spent a good 2 hours at my DMV (mostly waiting in line). All I wanted to do was get a title in my name for the M35a2. The lady said that I had to send that into Madison as well. In our conversation, she noted that the truck needs to be titled as 16,000lbs truck and that is $283 annually. She had someone on the phone from Madison, and of course I didn't hear that side of the conversation, but this lady in front of me was quite confused. I told her I just needed a title, but she wouldn't even do that. She explained that I needed to register it as a 16,000# truck and that the VIN wasn't coming up when she was looking for it on her end. So according to her, to register as a HMV, I need to send in the money for the plate ($30), and the money for the 16,000# truck as well ($238), plus my money for the title in my name?
I plan to keep the truck in it's stock form with markings and what-not, and I don't plan on having it as a daily driver. So does the HMV by itself suffice, or does it also need the heavy truck as well??
I just don't want to send Madison a check for stuff I don't need because Lord knows they won't send back any extra! lol

Anyone have any clarification? Or do I just throw my money at Madison and take one for the team?

chadande

That is not correct. You are better off filling out the HMV forms and sending them along with the pictures to the DMV.
PM me if you need help, I've done it a few times.

undysworld

Just spent a good 2 hours at my DMV (mostly waiting in line). All I wanted to do was get a title in my name for the M35a2. The lady said that I had to send that into Madison as well. In our conversation, she noted that the truck needs to be titled as 16,000lbs truck and that is $283 annually. She had someone on the phone from Madison, and of course I didn't hear that side of the conversation, but this lady in front of me was quite confused. I told her I just needed a title, but she wouldn't even do that. She explained that I needed to register it as a 16,000# truck and that the VIN wasn't coming up when she was looking for it on her end. So according to her, to register as a HMV, I need to send in the money for the plate ($30), and the money for the 16,000# truck as well ($238), plus my money for the title in my name?
I plan to keep the truck in it's stock form with markings and what-not, and I don't plan on having it as a daily driver. So does the HMV by itself suffice, or does it also need the heavy truck as well??
I just don't want to send Madison a check for stuff I don't need because Lord knows they won't send back any extra! lol

Anyone have any clarification? Or do I just throw my money at Madison and take one for the team?

To EVERYONE,

You absolutely DO NOT have to register it as a 16,000# truck in addition to registering it as HMV. HMV is a registration option instead of Collector, Hobbyist, Annual Truck, etc..

It only costs $30, but the ppwk must go to Madison if you are going to register as HMV. If you plan to register as Annual Truck, then you should be able to register it at your local DMV office.

A few last, but very important, suggestions:
1) Send all your paperwork registered mail and get a signature upon delivery. It costs like an extra $5 or so to do. That way, you can prove delivery, should there be a question.
2) Keep copies of everything you send in to DMV. Again, you can prove what you sent, in case of a problem.

undysworld

It looks as though there is a $30 plate for lifetime use, and an annual fee? Am I reading that all correctly?
No, there is a $30 one-time registration fee, and then there is NO annual fee required for as long as YOU own the truck. It is a lifetime registration, just like Hobbyist, Collector, and Antique plates are in Wisconsin. We really have pretty good choices now.

mhatfield

So, after reading the entire thread, I'm still a bit confused. I have a 67 Kaiser M35A2 multi fuel, currently titled and registered in Missourri with 24,000# plates. I use it as a daily driver, and carry the occasional load of furniture, building supplies, MV bits, pieces,etc. I am planning a move to DePere Wi. in October and want to register the Deuce in a way that lets me continue to use it as the family pickup truck. Which titling option covers that ? and what do I face in regards to safety checks, LEO Vin inspections, or heaven forbid? a smog certification? Many thanks

dogtags

I would title it HMV. if you go collector you pay more and have a 500 pound carrying limit. Hobbyist is if your truck is modified beyond original military. There is a chart on the DMV website that shows what they consider a modification. No safety checks, VIN inspections, or smog/emissions certs up where you are going

~Robert

mhatfield

I suppose that does look to be the best option, although that "occasional personal use" bit is just full of fuzzy grey Murphy potential.
who gets to decide if my driving it to work 3 days a week and then to the store on saturday is more than occasional? lol. but its still one heck of alot better than what Wisconsin was offering last time I checked. Kudos to the folks who spent all the effort to educate the political side of the short bus and make this happen

dogtags

Yes it is fuzzy, but also remember, this law is just one small law that applies to very few vehicles on the road. If you were a police officer where would you spend you time in the code book? Obscure laws that you may never have the chance to write a ticket for in your life, or something like the laws on speeding?

I my mind I'm always going to a show as just about everywhere I go I show off the trucks to someone in the parking lot. :)

~Robert

mhatfield

Can't argue with the logic in that, just my kneejerk reaction to anything that smells like " IF,BUT,or MAYBE" :). Missouri L.E has always been all smiles and waves for me. Never a hint of negative attitude, how could they? I'm driving a 14,000 lbs of army green goodness! Hope it works out the same in Wisconsin because the prettier half sure looks good up in that truck!

undysworld

Mhatfield,
Dogtags is correct, that HMV registration will probably suit your needs just fine. Occasional personal use means you can use it any day of the year, but not as a daily driver. Yes, it's a bit ambiguous, as most laws are. Around here, that means you can use it for whatever purpose you wish (including driving to work), just not every day. You cannot use it for commercial purposes however. The vehicle must be in non-modified condition, ie: no Chevy engine transplants or Bobbers (those vehicles are modified and qualify for non-expiring Hobbyist registration.) At $30 for non-expiring registration without a payload restriction, the HMV plate is your best "home pickup truck" option.

If you have any problems getting your truck titled and registered here in Wisconsin, please drop me a pm. I was involved in drafting the recent statute changes. I'm still in contact with WisDOT/DMV people and can perhaps help you.

I would title it HMV.
For clarity, registration is a State responsibility, and HMV is one license option for registration in Wisconsin. Titling denotes vehicle ownership, and is a Federal matter (although performed by the States) and has nothing to do with licensing (registration) for on-road operation.

Lastly, welcome to Wisconsin!

dogtags

For clarity, registration is a State responsibility, and HMV is one license option for registration in Wisconsin. Titling denotes vehicle ownership, and is a Federal matter (although performed by the States) and has nothing to do with licensing (registration) for on-road operation.
I couldn't think of the right word to use so I picked title. Thanks for clearing it up and jogging my memory.

How was the state able to brand the titles if they are a federal matter?

~Robert

undysworld

Robert,

You had the HMV part right!

How was the state able to brand the titles if they are a federal matter? ~Robert
As far as I know:

The title still indicates who owns the vehicle. The title brands do not change this (except for liens, etc. perhaps).

Some title brands are required under Wis. state law. I'm not sure if any are required under Fed. law. Some were created by Wis. DMV to indicate various restrictions related to registration.

I guess it all comes down to the particular DMV involved, as they try to administer both state and federal laws in issuing vehicle titles. As the issuing agency, that DMV/DOT makes the decision on how they do that (issue titles), and it varies from state to state.

dogtags

CDL required in WI for a 5-ton

to all Wisconsin 5 ton owners etc. i was wondering, is a cdl required for a hmv registration? lets say i get a m923a2.
Yes, a CDL is required for a 5-ton. Straight for the WI DMV website:

"The operator of an HMV must have a valid regular driver license; some HMVs may also require the operator to have a valid commercial driver license."
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/histmilitary.htm

"Commercial driver licenses (CDL) are required to operate vehicles that:
  • Weigh over 26,000 pounds, determined by the highest of the following weights:
    • manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
    • manufacturer’s gross combination weight rating (GCWR) when the towed unit has a GVWR, registered weight or actual gross weight over 10,000 pounds
    • actual weight
    • registered weight"
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/types/cdl.htm

~Robert

chewy78

ok thats what i thought. i guess its a toss up between getting a hmv and cdl, , hobbyist, collector plates,, or in my case heavy farm plates. i do farm work for a living..

undysworld

to all Wisconsin 5 ton owners etc. i was wondering, is a cdl required for a hmv registration? lets say i get a m923a2.
Chewy,

Dogtags is correct about needing a CDL for a 5-ton, but...

A CDL license is not required for HMV registration, unless the particular vehicle requires a CDL (over 26000 gvw).

So a deuce & 1/2 can be registered as HMV and operated without a CDL provided you don't go over 26000 #.

But HMV cannot be used for commercial (& probably farm) purposes. Per s.341.269(3)Wis. Stats.:A vehicle registered under this section may only be used for special occasions such as display and parade purposes, club activities, exhibitions, and tours, including traveling to and from such events, for necessary testing, maintenance, and storage purposes, and for occasional personal use, but not for regular transportation.

I'd think if you plan to use the truck as a farm truck and write it off as such, then you probably need to register as a "FARM" vehicle. Otherwise, HMV is by far the best option if applicable: $30 lifetime registration with no payload restrictions for stock vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks