• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

iatractor

This will be interesting to see, especially if our steel soldier members get them. Talked to a customer of mine that is in the national guard about these vehicles. Best advice he gave to me about them if I buy one is to remember that it is an overgrown pickup, not a deuce, and not a tank. If you treat it like a truck and remember that it has slightly more capabilities than a regular 4x4, you will be fine (might want to repower with a better engine though was other advice) If you treat it like a tank, it will disappoint. Kind of interested to see who winds up with these, and what they will be used for. Yes, some on here are poo pooing them saying they have no desire for one, but as a collector/user of mv's, it is somewhat exciting to see them come into the market. I can only imagine the excitement some of the guys who fought in world war2 had when they first saw the jeeps coming into civilian hands and wanted to own the very thing they used that may have saved their life. Perhaps the generation that served in Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, and Afghanistan are anticipating the release of the same trucks the too used. Young kids today aren't enthused about the jeeps because to them they were from another time and those that used them nor do they seem them in the movies like other generations did. The hmmwv's are what they know from the movies, or their parent's photos of their service. Kind of like today they also think military vehicles are tan where as the other generations would say o.d green (no matter what color). To those who are going to buy one, good luck!!

welldigger

I'll just say this. Trailering a hmmwv around will get old fast. They are too wide and in some cases too heavy for a normal bumper pull trailer. So then you are stuck using a gooseneck or flat deck equipment trailer. Then your normal half ton truck is out of the question as a tow vehicle.

These little details like "offroad use only" cascade into much bigger problems rapidly. I'd love to have a hmmwv but only if I can drive it on the road.

jedawson1

I'm with welldigger, they are a bit wide to haul around frequently, and unless the prices get below $3500, they aren't worth buying for a farm or hunting truck.

I'd love to have one, but not under the current restrictions and starting price mentioned.

I am glad to see officials making them available for auction though.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless they start flushing 100K of them, I doubt seriously they'd dip below the $5K mark. Under the $5K mark, I'm a buyer for one. Offroad or not.

3dAngus

They are wide and heavy as welldigger mentions, but my 1/2 ton can haul 8000 pounds. It's the brakes that are the problem, and I don't want to blow a head gasket pulling 7000 pounds through any mountains. My 16' flat bed might not handle the weight as it is and I would need a heftier trailer with good brakes. I bid on one and was already outbid in the blind bidding process. Dangit I hate that! But good news is, I might live longer because we need to save up about $55K+ this year to pay all this years income taxes. Ouch!

... and remember, what they give, they can take away
Quoted from the sale;

"Demil Code Changes; Return of Restricted Property. In the event that DLA Disposition Services changes a Demil Code or determines that an item offered for sale by IronPlanet may not be sold, or must be sold with restrictions, IronPlanet may withdraw the item from sale or place additional restrictions on the sale at any time prior to the removal of the item by the Buyer. The Buyer will be limited in remedy to a refund of the purchase price and cancellation of the sale.

Items sold by us, which are subsequently changed to a Demil Code status determined to be restricted by DLA Disposition Services or the U.S. Government, must be returned by you to the nearest DLA Disposition Services facility or other U.S. Government facility (if not originating from DLA), and you will be reimbursed for the purchase price and any documented transportation costs incurred by you. If you have already transferred the property to another party, you agree to provide the name and contact information of that party to the Department of Defense or other federal government agency charged with the investigation of the transfer or recovery of the property. Your failure to cooperate in returning these items, providing contact information of transferees or completing and submitting End-Use Certificates upon any Demil Code change may constitute grounds for suspension of your account and prohibition from bidding in future IronPlanet or U.S. Government sales, and we reserve the right to suspend your participation without providing you any additional notice or warning.

In the event that a Buyer is requested to return property subsequently determined by the DLA Disposition Services or the U.S. Government to be restricted, Buyer understands that any certification to IronPlanet regarding what has been returned will be forwarded to the Government and be the basis for determining any refund due the Buyer. If you falsely claim a refund for property you have not returned to DLA Disposition Services or the U.S. Government, you may be liable under the False Claims Act, 18 U.S.C. §287. Included with the request to return property, you will receive contact information for Fast Track Logistics, who will be responsible for returning the property to the Government at no cost to the Buyer.

You agree to cooperate with DLA Disposition Services and the U.S. Government in the recovery of property that was sold to you, which is later determined to have been restricted, and understand that if you fail to do so you will be deemed by the DLA Disposition Services or the U.S. Government to be "uncooperative" and may be denied access to future sales events at the discretion of the DLA Disposition Services or the U.S. Government. "

corvette9

Off topic.....Whats the deal with Humvees being sold through Gov. Plant

I know this is off topic but I have to ask. I see Humvees going for sale on Gov. Planet. Dose anybody know if they will come with titles? Can they be reg. for the street? I will be looking to buy one.

rickf

I am glad to see you put up those demil code change requirements. They have been in effect for many, many years but people just do not seem to believe that the government can come take the stuff back if they want to. A big military action suddenly comes up and they run short of trucks you can guess where they are going to get them from. This is no conspiracy theory, it is fact.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't see the military have use for older non armored vehicles that they no longer have repair parts stocked for. Much easier to print more money and send the factories into overdrive.

KansasBobcat

Just a question. Does anyone know of the Government reclaiming a 20-25 year old unarmored vehicle. I know it it's rule but how often does it happen.( I don't want to be the test case!)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly a more believable scenario is, when the Federal government realizes that someone bought one, circumvented local DMV laws, and either gets hurt and sues the government & the manufacturer or, performs a major crime utilizing one, then they may say "whoah", we messed up and must take them all back from the public.

That is how I expect it to go.

It's easier(not necessarily effective though) to eliminate the vehicle, than it is to regulate and control it. Think about weapons...

I can see NY coming up with a new law, the Humvee Safe Act. Only ok to own it if we remove 6 cylinders? And possibly also, must paint the front end fluorescent orange.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have had communications equipment reclaimed prior to me having it picked up. It sucked it was good stuff I had bought dirt cheap. I don't think anyone else knew what it was so I was the only bidder. It wasn't anything that dealt with crypto or anything like that though. I see the first gen sincgars stuff out in the public now. That stuff was restricted in the 90s we were not allowed to even open them at unit level maintenance. I don't see the gov coming back for vehicles unless it is armored or has some special weapons system component.

iatractor

I'm with Doghead on this. About the time someone takes one and titles/registers it illegally, they will pull the plug on the sales at the very least. Worst case scenario they go after not just the ones out there, but all military vehicles in private hands. Considering how the media tends to make major stories out of nothing, they will pounce on the idea of a civilian being in a wreck with one and how it shouldn't have happened, then get the public all up in arms about how this equipment should have never been released. I would like to thank the moderators for locking down at least one thread where they were yapping about how to circumvent the system and register these trucks. Let's show the public that we can abide by the rules made and that we are responsible owners. Give it time, we thought this day would never come of buying one, so the day when we can legally put them on the road may come in due time if there are the appropriate changes.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Circumventing the rules would be one thing. Figuring out what the objections are and rectifying them is another.

Once the media decides to tell a narrative, it won't matter if it's on road or at an ORV park. The truth will matter little.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see this thread getting locked like the other one, not because of them coming up for sale. No, you guys are going to start with trying to skirt the rules when you take possession of one.

Please refrain from discussing what's legal and what isn't or why I can't do whatever the he11 I want.

Thank you and wait for the auction.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know this is off topic but I have to ask. I see Humvees going for sale on Gov. Planet. Dose anybody know if they will come with titles? Can they be reg. for the street? I will be looking to buy one.
No and no. from the GP site;

• This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.
  • Buyer will be required to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement.
  • No title will be available. Bill of sale available at request of buyer (fee may apply).
  • Buyer acknowledges that the Humvee is not roadworthy and agrees that Humvee is for off-highway use only.

KansasBobcat

At one time there were 12,000 H1s on the road and several hundred from the Atlanta auction plus a few salvage, etc. I haven't heard of any big law suits, etc from accidents. Has anyone else? Personally, I would be more worried about a 5 ton versus Prius than HMMWV versus Suburban, but I live in Texas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks