• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How have you civilized your MEP Generators?

Isaac-1

Ok, I know this topic is a bit sacrilegious to some, but I am wondering what modifications have you done or are you thinking about doing to your MEP generators to make them more useful in their civilian duties? I am thinking of things like, spin on filters, gauge replacement, adding onboard power outlets, auto-start, etc?

Ike

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've already done the spin-on filter for the oil...WONDERFUL mod by the way.

I'm gonna do the auto start auto switch-over sometime down the road, as soon as the other projects start getting done.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed Speddmon's spin-on oil filter kit. That is my only alteration to the original military layout. I am avoiding auto start/auto switchover because I have a 200 amp house panel that is fed directly via transfer switch, not a smaller transfer switch panel. As such, I would have to incorporate automatic load shedding in order to remain code compliant. The manual start and manual load shedding works fine for me.

I've also picked up a CEP power distribution box for use with my MEP. It enables the pass through of 120/240 volt power and gives multiple GFCI protected 120 volt receptacles. It is UL certified for outdoor service in all weather. They can be found cheap enough if you look hard enough.

John

treeguy

N1oty, would you happen to have a photo of the CEP distribution box? I have been trying to think of a way to do pretty much what you have. Also do you disconnect the ground wire from the selector switch box to the genny frame when running power to your house and then reconnect it when running the on board outlets in the CEP box (and use a ground rod at the genny all the time right?) Thanks

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've permanently wired a cable into the output box with a pin and sleeve connector on the oppposite end that connects to a receptacle mounted outside near my garage. The receptacle is mounted in a weatherproof box that is connected by underground conduit to my transfer switch. I keep the trailer/genset inside the garage and when I need to run it, I simply open the garage door and fire it up. This way, I still have my MEP-003A available as a mobile unit on the M-116A2 trailer and can easily power my whole house when needed. Also, the trailer/genset is out of the weather. Zero modifications have been made to the 003A. I have found this setup to be extremely user friendly and versatile.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am avoiding auto start/auto switchover because I have a 200 amp house panel that is fed directly via transfer switch, not a smaller transfer switch panel. As such, I would have to incorporate automatic load shedding in order to remain code compliant.
Why? Unless you are having an inspection done, or you have some really screwy local codes, you can do pretty much what ever you want to with your property once the inspections are done. Electrical code inspections are usually only needed for work being done such as a service change/upgrade or new construction. They don't just pop in and do surprise electrical inspections. The only reason I could think of to be concerned about this issue would be if you were hiring someone to install the transfer and generator. If you are doing it yourself...do it the way you want. As long as it's hooked up properly as far as tie in's and grounding goes you should be fine

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CEP Distribution box

N1oty, would you happen to have a photo of the CEP distribution box? I have been trying to think of a way to do pretty much what you have. Also do you disconnect the ground wire from the selector switch box to the genny frame when running power to your house and then reconnect it when running the on board outlets in the CEP box (and use a ground rod at the genny all the time right?) Thanks

Here's a link to the CEP web site and the distro box that I picked up used on ebay some time ago:

CEP 8706GU* 50 Amp Single Phase (Spider) Temp Power Box | Temp Power Boxes, Temporary Power Distribution, Portable Lighting, GFCI's, Wiring Devices and Extension Cords CEPNOW - Construction Electrical Products

I'll try to post a photo this weekend of my setup.

John

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why? Unless you are having an inspection done, or you have some really screwy local codes, you can do pretty much what ever you want to with your property once the inspections are done. Electrical code inspections are usually only needed for work being done such as a service change/upgrade or new construction. They don't just pop in and do surprise electrical inspections. The only reason I could think of to be concerned about this issue would be if you were hiring someone to install the transfer and generator. If you are doing it yourself...do it the way you want. As long as it's hooked up properly as far as tie in's and grounding goes you should be fine

The codes here in Mass are VERY stringent and have the force of law. Any auto start generator here must either be connected to a transfer switch that only enables loads that do not exceed the generator rating or must have some approved method of automatic load management or automatic load shedding. A manual start/manual transfer setup is approved to feed a panel in excess of the generators capacity by virtue of using manual load shedding.

This is not an issue for me because someone is almost always around the house and everyone knows how to run the generator and manage loads. Furthermore, I have my 002A on an M101A2 trailer so that I can move it elsewhere, if needed.

John

Grega

Here are a few mods that ive done in the last couple years. Right now im in the process of mounting a 50 gallon fuel tank from a semi refer trailer. Picked it up for $50 from the local junk yard. Still Waiting for the brackets from the sandblaster before I mount it. Found an old trailer and modified it for the generator. Also installed spin on fuel and oil filters

Attachments

quickfarms

I used one of these to build a power distribution box. I am going to mount it into a fat 50 ammo can and use o reliance power inlet plug on it

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-3306&catname=electric

AndrewOH

Here's a link to the CEP web site and the distro box that I picked up used on ebay some time ago:

CEP 8706GU* 50 Amp Single Phase (Spider) Temp Power Box | Temp Power Boxes, Temporary Power Distribution, Portable Lighting, GFCI's, Wiring Devices and Extension Cords CEPNOW - Construction Electrical Products

I'll try to post a photo this weekend of my setup.

John
John,

That is a nice box. I was thinking of getting one myself. I've been trying to figure out how is the best way to bond the neutral in this case. You are pretty versed in codes and safety minded, in the case when you are solely using a spider box, how do you bond your neutral and your ground? Do you just jumper the load terminals together?

Thanks,

Andrew

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

That is a nice box. I was thinking of getting one myself. I've been trying to figure out how is the best way to bond the neutral in this case. You are pretty versed in codes and safety minded, in the case when you are solely using a spider box, how do you bond your neutral and your ground? Do you just jumper the load terminals together?

Thanks,

Andrew

When using the CEP distribution box, I wire it as a "Separately Derived System", just as the military runs these in the field.

John

AndrewOH

When using the CEP distribution box, I wire it as a "Separately Derived System", just as the military runs these in the field.

John
I've looked through the manual and see the double delta connection but no mention of this. I've also never owned a generator with the ability to reconfigure the wiring nor am I familiar with how the military connects these particular units. Do you run a separate cable from your neutral down to your ground connection?

Thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If power goes down here, it will be in the most extreme conditions. Even though I store the unit inside, its an unheated building. In the event that one will need the MEP, it will be the worst case...... -60F. Then when word gets out that there is mobile power, I'll have friends that I haven't met yet, and the tarp inclosure will be important in containing some heat to get her started, then keeping her content during operation, by regulating the temperature some, with the tarp. I know what the unit is rated to do, but nothing likes -60! The exhaust was manditory (pieces from NAPA). The battery switch is just for safety. There is a pig tail that powers the various plug-ins - each is on its own breaker, sized to the plug. The 100 gallon tank, simplifies the fuel system.

I have the house and shop on a transfer switch, and can run those easy. with the rated output, and keep things like the water system from freezing up. The plug in panel though is in "self defense". I learned long ago, I don't modify my stuff during extreme conditions, so I can help somebody. They have to be able to plug in. I have a couple spare plugs too, just in case. The electrical stuff came from Home Depot & Lowes.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks