• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How have you civilized your MEP Generators?

walker

HarleyD, I have been chatting with Tom about my generator ,MB-19, and you are right, super sharp guy, and very nice to deal with. I have been trying to decide how to approach mine. I was curious about the second genny you did. Does that control panel also require the relay package that the first one did, and does it also require purchase of separate CTs? Is there anything you would do differently on another one? Did you add an AVR?
Mine, I would like to scrap everything that is there down to the 14 wires coming out of the head, add an AVR, and a usable control panel with some basic engine monitoring, as well as engine shut down for low oil, high temp, over/under speed. I don't really need auto start, paralleling, mains monitoring, etc, so it can be very simple, and very similar to yours.

Harleyd315

Walker, If you look at my previous post on my first build,you wil notice that I start with a new generator head from Tom. I built these units with rebuilt engines and skid frames I have acquired. I don't use the military gen heads. The new gen head from Tom has a built in AVR. I use the relay package and engine controllers that Tom sells. The only draw back with his controllers is not being able to set the preheat for longer than 10 seconds, hence the button on the control panel for the manual operation of the glow plugs before I turn on the key, once I turn on the key I hold the button while the engine cranks. I buy the CT's from him also. The engine contollers guard against low oil, low htz, over speed, over volt, and high engine temp. Hope this helps,Chris

walker

I did not catch that they were new heads. Tom says the sx460 works well on these, and I am sure that whatever is in your is similar. I am considering using the same GTR 116 and MFD10 setup. It looks easy to operate, somewhat easy to install and it doesn't look so high end that it would grow legs and walk off from my cabin.

JOHNPFD1

just wondering if the box with the 6 outlets was custom made and if so what kind of box did you use and where did you get it? Also did you wire each outlet to it's own seperate breaker? Also any chance you can post a pic of how you set up your battery cutoff switch? thanks for your help, John

NEIOWA

Thanks Jerry.

Jim, the printer is really neat. There are different types. This is an $800 MakerGear Prusa Mendel kit. It extrudes plastic from a nozzle and the X,Y, and Z motors drive it around to build up the part. The laser imaging type that harden liquid resin do much higher resolution are getting cheaper. Formlabs is taking pre-orders for a low-end version at $3,299. Ten years from now they'll be $100 at Walmart.

Nope. Still mostly hype (just as 30yr ago)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks