• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info on Flying Flags on the M35's

ranchhopper

My flags are mounted behind the cab out of necessity I like Gregs set up but the trees that hang over the streets where we go would make short work of them. I slide the flag pole between the cab and header for the troop seats set the bottom on the top of the truck bed and zip tie them to the uprights on the header for the troop seats. The way little kids dart out for candy nothing is in my sight line to obstruct seeing from the front and both sides.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with antennas mounted up front on sugar scoops welded to the backsides of the bumpers, I had natural flag poles. The VRC-12 system's antenna is best, being rigid. It also covers 30-80MHz so the 6-meter ham band is right there. It's on the right bumper. The front is a great place for antennas because they will clear things.

Attachments

Darwin T

i don't fly Old Glory while driving, but here is my M109a3 on The Fourth of July parked on top of a levee waiting for the fireworks. i will have to move my mount to the right hand side, i did not know the rules. what i did was bought a adjustable wall mount and flag kit and mounted it on the front of the finder. i adjusted it to tilt just a little bit forward to allow for the wind. a rattle can of flat black and poof ready to go.

Attachments

Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
I find it interesting that people have interpreted the applicable US Code to mean that the flag has to be flown on the right front corner of a vehicle. The way I read it, it only has to be flown from the right fender (not bumper) if it is being clamped in place. If it is firmly affixed, there does not seem to be a required position.

"When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender"

United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10

Tlauden

I bet 95% of people dont even know this Flag Code exists, i didnt until i read it here.

On another note:

I think anyone flying the flag anywhere on there vehicle need to be applauded. in this day and age it seems that people dont really remember (or care about) what the flag truly means.

shenkmen

I find it interesting that people have interpreted the applicable US Code to mean that the flag has to be flown on the right front corner of a vehicle. The way I read it, it only has to be flown from the right fender (not bumper) if it is being clamped in place. If it is firmly affixed, there does not seem to be a required position.

"When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender"

Interesting point.

So what is correct? My understanding has always been the right front fender.

Attachments

barrygar8

i first put it on the drivers side so the flag wouldn,t hit the exaust stack but after i installed the winch i had more room on the right side and i mounted it on the right bumper.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used to fly the POW?MIA flag all the time, tilll time to replace it

joshs1ofakindxj

I believe the wording suggests it should be mounted at all time on the right front fender.

I would agree with your interpretation if there was another comma in there after the word "chassis", like so:

"When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis, or clamped to the right fender"

Without the comma, you have no seperation between the notion of "fixed firmly to the chassis" and the notion of "clamped" so they are both pertaining to the right front fender.

As mentioned though, flying the flag respectfully anywhere is probably better than not flying it at all, but just like the Constitution, the wording and placements of grammar are key to interpretation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks