• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Join my North Texas Military Vehicle Collector Club PLEASE!!

ntxcop

I took off last weekend to go to the movies. I met up with K9Vic - Gary, but we didn't see anyone else so we ended up leaving (it was raining cats and dogs). Later I spoke to Wallew - Jim and learned me and Gary were just a little early. So I missed meeting up with everyone that showed up. Sorry I missed you guys.

I'm gonna be working next weekend (I work one weekend and get the next off). I've got a 10x10 pop up shelter and two plastic tables if you guys can put them to use at the air show, let me know!

Look forward to the next meeting or opportunity to meet ya'll in person.

Take care.

Keith

Blueduce

I should be able to make it. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

That's great to hear. What is your availability for the Alliance air show in Ft. Worth on the 6th / 7th of October. I know it's a month away but the powers that be at the show are asking for a head count. There just trying to make sure we have enough room for all of our vehicles.

If you saw the picks from the Lancaster show I'm sure you noticed we where a smidgen on the tight side. Where trying to avoid being cramped in again since new member Jeff will be there in his HEMTT.

I don't need a definite y/n right now but if you thing there at least a 50/50 chance you'll be there. We will reserve you a spot.
Glenn.

ntxcop

Enjoyed meeting everyone at the meeting Saturday morning. :p I'm looking forward to the upcoming events. I had Jim send me an email with the dates for the upcoming events and thought I'd post them all here, as a reminder and to inform anyone that is interested.

:arrow: Oct 5/6/7 - Fri/Sat/Sun - Alliance Air show - Setup on Friday, Oct 5.

:arrow: Oct 25/26/27 - Thur/Fri/Sat - Sky Ball X - at DFW Airport - Setup on Thursday, Oct 25.

:arrow: Nov 7/8/9 - Wed/Thurs/Fri - Bureau of Engraving / Printing - 150th anniversary - Setup on Thursday, Nov 7th.

Keith

***** SKYBALL X has been cancelled *****

Last edited:

ntxcop

New Family Member

MVCC Members and Steel Soldiers family:

I'm proud to announce the newest addition to my family, a beautiful green M923. She's 307 inches long and weighs 22,000 lbs! :smile:

I received the winning bid notice/email from GL this morning at 00:21 hours! I was very lucky to win THIS truck. When I previewed the trucks two weeks ago, I rated this as one of the top three that trucks that were up for auction in Saginaw. I can't wait to get it home and start working on it. I hope to have her running in time to bring her out to the Alliance Air Show next weekend.

Here's some pics of her.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith,

Congratulations, that's a great looking 5 ton.

Glad you FINALLY got the truck you wanted.

Now we just have to get it TO your place.

Let me know when you are going to do the recovery. I'll be there.

Again, CONGRATS

Blueduce

MVCC Members and Steel Soldiers family:

I'm proud to announce the newest addition to my family, a beautiful green M923. She's 307 inches long and weighs 22,000 lbs! :smile:

I received the winning bid notice/email from GL this morning at 00:21 hours! I was very lucky to win THIS truck. When I previewed the trucks two weeks ago, I rated this as one of the top three that trucks that were up for auction in Saginaw. I can't wait to get it home and start working on it. I hope to have her running in time to bring her out to the Alliance Air Show next weekend.

Here's some pics of her.

Outstanding brother. I knew it wouldn't take long. Let me know if you need anything.

combatmech

Nice score Keith!! Looking forward to seeing everyone in another week or so....:beer:
The check-out process hasn't been all that painful yet. It's dealing with the VA finance folks that's been the pain.

Blueduce

Tell me about it. The VA is as FUBAR as it gets. Don't expect anything to get done in a timely manner. BTW I found you a welder. It just so happens that walews neighbor (who is also a club member) should be able to help out if there is not a great deal of fab work.

combatmech

Hey Glenn, Yep...trying to explain to them I'll be on leave until January has been a pain. That and no "real" job yet.....
That sounds like a plan. I have pictures and measurements. Shouldn't be making some V-cuts, bending to shape, then re-welding. See y'all soon!!

Needle

Combatmech......Benabago was moved this weekend. Driven around the corner and parked behind the JK hanger. Not sure who moved it, but they needed the parking space for the weekend event. SO 2 birds...one stone.

(Actually I dont think they trusted my tank driving close to your vehicle...or were afraid I would put too big a charge down the barrel and damage it.:p)

Jim, Glenn, Jeff, Mike etc......Hope to meet up with you all at Alliance. It should be a busy weekend as I am on "aircraft duty", and we are also the drop plane (C-47) for the Canadian Army parachute team "The Skyhawks".

Anyway...This was why my visit to Murphy was just a quick one. Whilst you were in Murphy getting wet....I was in Addison getting wet and making lots of noise.

(photo credit.Scott Slocum)

Attachments

ntxcop

Thanks

Nice score Keith!! Looking forward to seeing everyone in another week or so....:beer:
The check-out process hasn't been all that painful yet. It's dealing with the VA finance folks that's been the pain.
Thanks Combatmech, I am very thrilled about getting the truck for such a cheap price. To be honest though, it was almost every penny I had in my account. I was bidding on a hope and a prayer.

My invoice has been received and I'm scheduled to pick it up soon.

ntxcop

Recovery Attempt # 1

I attempted to recover the M923 today, but ran out of time and wasn't able to get it home.

50 of the M923's that were sold at Saginaw have been transported to the TruckCenter.com property about 2 miles from the Saginaw facility. I called and scheduled a pickup this afternoon at 16:00.

Jim and Hawkeye arrived in Hawkeye's deuce. Jim provided the tow bar and we connected it between the deuce and 5 - Ton. The 5 - Ton was parked in a line of other vehicles, nose-in, so we had to pull it out of line so we could access the front of the 5 - Ton. We tried to pull the 5 - Ton out of the line, but quickly realized the brakes on the 5 - Ton were locked. I forgot that the 5 - Ton brakes lock when there is no air in the system. aua

Jerry and Gary, the two employees at TruckCenter.com assisted with an air hose and we pumped air into the 5 - Ton to unlock the brakes. It was a good plan, until air started leaking from a hose connection point at the front of the truck. A new rubber seal was located and put in place of the old, worn one. Problem fixed, and brakes released. We pulled the truck out of line and then hooked up Hawkeye's deuce to pull it home. After getting the tow bar hooked up, Hawkeye gave his deuce gas, and the 5 - Ton's wheels were locked again, which caused nice ruts in the TruckCenter.com's lot.

At that point it was 17:30 and the TruckCenter closed at 17:00. Gary said we could put some bolts in the axles to lock out the brakes, but we'd have to come back in the morning to do it.

So, tomorrow, I'm headed back over to TruckCenter.com's lot to lock out the brakes with bolts, and then Hawkeye will be able to tow it home with his deuce.

Jerry and Gary of TruckCenter.com completely blew me away with their kindness and willingness to assit me. They were so much different than the guys I've heard horror stories about at other facilities. I think they may have felt sorry for me...:D

I'm amazed how much BIGGER the 5 - Ton is than the Deuce.

I appreciate Jim and Hawkeye lending their time, sweat, and knowledge!!! Hopefully we'll get her home tomorrow.

Attachments

Blueduce

Looking good Keith. Sorry your breaks are so FUBAR.Hook up the service air and emergency air from the deuce to the 5 ton. This will charge the brakes on the 5 ton and the brakes on the deuce will operate the 5 ton breaks. Just like any trailer with air brakes. DO NOT TOW the 5 ton with Hawks deuce with only Hawhs breaks.

Last edited:

ntxcop

Looking good Keith. Sorry your breaks are so FUBAR.Hook up the service air and emergency air from the deuce to the 5 ton. This will charge the brakes on the 5 ton and the brakes on the deuce will operate the 5 ton breaks. Just like any trailer with air brakes. DO NOT TOW the 5 ton with Hawks deuce with only Hawhs breaks.
Oops, too late :D :D :D

Soooo, I purchased 4 batteries and put them in the 5-Ton this morning. The engine kicked over and started on the first push of the button!!!!!

The air pressure did not budge on the gauges though. The buzzer kept buzzing, but the pressure guages remained at 0. I checked air nozzles on the front and back of the truck and was not getting any air out of the lines. Gary, the diesel mechanic at the site where the trucks are now stored took a look at it and said the compressor was building up air, but it was leaking from somewhere.

After checking the lines and the air tanks under the truck, I decided to go ahead and cage the brakes so it could be pulled home. After caging the brakes, I started the truck again and it started building pressure. After a few mintues, I turned off the truck and checked the cage bolts. They were all loose. I tightened them down again and restarted the truck. The air pressure in both tanks went to 120 and the buzzer turned off. Apparently there is a stuck valve of some sorts in one of the spring brake assemblies that came unstuck when I screwed down the bolt to cage the brakes.

Hawkeye arrived a short time later and we hooked up the tow hitch and pulled the 5-Ton home with his Deuce. I rode in the 5-Ton and steered around corners and applied the hand brake when we were stopping. I left my engine running with the drivetrain in neutral and when I got home, both tanks were at 120 psi again. I was able to pull the truck up into my driveway and park it.

Here's where it gets interesting... As soon as I got the 5-Ton parked and powered down, I saw a puff of smoke come up on the passenger side of the cab. I jumped out and tried to open the passenger side door from the outside, but it was jammed. I jumped back into the truck and pulled the handle and kicked the door open. Hawkeye jumped up on the passenger side and I raised the seat from the driver side, to expose the 4 NEW batteries. Hawkeye said there was a FIRE in the battery compartment. Apparently, the batteries shifted in the ride and something was touching something else that it wasn't supposed to. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed it in the compartment. I then grabbed a prybar and Hawkeye pried the batteries apart. Two of the batteries are now melted on the side and leaking acid. The other two batteries are just fine. The leed on the main positive cable is melted off now, so I've got to buy two MORE batteries, and a new leed to for the melted one. aua

I am VERY lucky though, with the help of Jim and Hawkeye, we were able to get the truck home, and put the fire out......

SO, the good news is the engine fires up and runs like a champ now - well - when I get batteries installed again, and the air tanks build up air pressure. Hopefully, the brakes will start working after I uncage them.

From what Jim says, this was an EASY recovery..... I would hate to take part in a HARD recovery!!!! :razz: :razz:

I really am thankful for Jim working his butt off all day, and Hawkeye saving the day!

Attachments

Last edited:

Blueduce

Whew, That was a close one. If all you lost was a few batteries consider yourself lucky. Let em know if you need any help. I'd love to come over and see the truck. BTW nice picks but it looks like you may have some trouble pulling it into the garage. LOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks