• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

King of the rattle can

unclemikey

Milkman, I got it from Aervoe on the net. With shipping, if I remember right, it was about $5.00 or so a can. A bit much, but I really like the stuff both to work with and the color.

unclemikey

91W350

Came from the Missorri Forestry Dept.

The 1/4" plating has saved the wheelwell flairs and the rocker panels. No major dents or rust. Plus they look "cool". Great to mount flame throwers or rocket lauchers to.....LOL
I had a twin from the Iowa Forrestry. Mine had an exoskeleton around the windshield and across the edges of the hood as well. Looks like the same artisian to me. Glen

My rattlecanned M-715....

Different M-715 than the red exoskeleton truck....

The lime green truck, I scraped the lime off with a razor scraper, back to a good coat of OD green....then sanded the rough spots and commenced laying on 24 cans of OD green spray. I thought it turned out pretty good...

Attachments

Canislupus

Hey, mine's a Rattle can monster, didn't sand it, nothing, just got the pattern and I had @ it.

You get 15 feet away from it ... Looks fine to me.

Hi to Gantster, and UncleMikie

roscoe

I painted 2 of my trucks in the last month. I only sanded rusty areas and runs and tried to knock off the chiping spots. Didn't bother with minor dents and scratches because the battle scars add character. My trucks are going to be used and will develop more anyway. Used rustoleum rust preventer and rustoleum camo from the local hardware. Big price difference depending on where you get it. Walmart carries 11oz Krylon camo but its about $1.10 less per can if you go with the rustoleum 12oz can.

bracebldr

I have a new green base coat but want camo do you go by patterns can you paint tan tops to look like they match camo tops not 2 be found. All the painting freehand huh?

ABN173

Last edited:

Canislupus

Mine was all free hand. Had the pattern from online in one hand, and a Black, or Brown Rattle Can in the other.
Worked well for me, I basically did one side @ a time. Started on the back.

Have FUN !!

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished the inside and outside of my Deuce with the exception of the undercarriage, and used 31 cans of Krylon Camo Olive from Wal Mart. In Florida, currently the price is $4.47 a can. I painted the wheels with Rustoleum Flat Black. I know how you guys like pictures, but it rained ALL day! I will post some tomorrow if the rain stops. I bought 2 Herculiner kits for the bed, but have not applied it.

3dAngus

Price went up on Krylon Camo Olive here too. I paid $3.33, then $3.97, and now $4.44 per can, all over the last 5 months. Even so, I am totally SOLD on Krylon Camoflauge Olive paint, as far as application. I can handle it with ease in ten minutes with no problem in turning my metals over, and get down my 2 or 3 coats easily within 30 minutes and then bring inside for storage. It seems to have some special adhesion and drying qualities well above the rusteoleum I have ever used before.

Now for the bigger test. Endurance. I'll post again in 4 years. Be back on this one in late 2014. <smile>

Oh, by the way, do NOT use that other Krylon paint that is Olive, but listed as indoor/outdoor for metals. Totally SUCKS!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bulldog, How many cans/gallons of primer did it take for you to cover your 813? How many cans of green? Your truck looks great! Any more tips?

I have an 813 that is going to get a new paint job in May or June along with a bunch of other work and I'm stocking the supplies now. I'm debating doing the whole job with cans or if I'm going to spend some more $$ on a sprayer too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks