• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

List your reason behind your MV

The green monster got me for...

• Parades

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Hunting, Trails and 4x4

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • BOV/ EMP proof

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Work/BOV/Parades/Coolness factor/ Multi-Fuel appeal.

Votes: 109 83.2%

• Total voters

Jeff Nelson

When I bought my F350 crew cab dually, my wife wondered what I was compensating for. I'm in the process of getting my first Deuce because I am compensating. My F350 is just too small....:beer:

ARYankee

My deuce was the first and I got it because I thought it would be so cool to own one. Then the addiction took over. I get on the OD wagon and then I fall off.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All guys need diesel powered, all wheel drive vehicles. Though anything Kaiser or AmGeneral has yet to be matched in the cool factor. When I see "off-roading" vehicles on the road now, I ask myself: "I wonder if that can haul 5 tons, climb a 45.....and do it with McDonalds deep fryer oil..?"

Am I the only one?

plym49

All guys need diesel powered, all wheel drive vehicles. Though anything Kaiser or AmGeneral has yet to be matched in the cool factor. When I see "off-roading" vehicles on the road now, I ask myself: "I wonder if that can haul 5 tons, climb a 45.....and do it with McDonalds deep fryer oil..?"

Am I the only one?
Nope!

I love it when you pass a full-size dualie going the other way. The guy driving it pretends not to notice - he won't even make eye contact - and you can almost lip-read his girlfriend sitting alongside saying "I thought you told me yours was the biggest truck".

:)

Edit: I must admit that there is a marine (not USMC, marine as in water) analogue of this that I immensely enjoy. I have an old Hydrostream boat - 20', cuddy cabin. It is a very fast boat (104 to 106 mph). I love it when you are out cruising around and you come upon something like a Donzi with a big-block. These are 62 mph boats. I will come up on them at, say, 63 and them ease back to 59 or thereabouts so that the guy is j--u--s--t pulling away. I let him get about a dozen boat lengths ahead, by now he has his chest all puffed out, and then I floor it. My 'Stream literally jumps ahead and by the time (moments later) I am alongside of him (80 mph at this point) the hull goes into ground effect and my boat really takes off. Next thing he knows I am gone-gone-gone and if I had seen him driving like a jerk earlier, he just got rooster-tailed, too. I suppose that some might call this juvenile, but it never gets old (and I rigged this boat in 1987).

Last edited:

cx65083

... I couldn't work. For two years I didn't have a reason. One day, saw a Deuce on ebay. It was real close and fairly cheap. .... I had a couple extra dollars so I got it and now i have a reason. ..... just have to go real slow. Job not there no more so trucks keep me tinkering and sane.....

Bottom line: they give me a reason to get off my *** and live life not sit around and mope cause i got a ****y deal out of life.

And they won't let me have a helicopter in my back yard..

Thank you.... I couldn't have put it into better words!

cx65083

This is actually one of the reasons I bought mine. Ive found that having familiar things around related to better times of life is quite comforting. Hence the Deuce, the AR-15's etc etc.

Ditto with the truck and the "as close to mil-spec as I could make it" AR15.

The opening words of the movie Jarhead ring in my ears every day....

"A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle. "

The truck, and the rifle are tactile sensations that bring familiarity to my hands (among other parts) that helps calm the soul in troubling times.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope!

I love it when you pass a full-size dualie going the other way. The guy driving it pretends not to notice - he won't even make eye contact - and you can almost lip-read his girlfriend sitting alongside saying "I thought you told me yours was the biggest truck".

:)

Edit: I must admit that there is a marine (not USMC, marine as in water) analogue of this that I immensely enjoy. I have an old Hydrostream boat - 20', cuddy cabin. It is a very fast boat (104 to 106 mph). I love it when you are out cruising around and you come upon something like a Donzi with a big-block. These are 62 mph boats. I will come up on them at, say, 63 and them ease back to 59 or thereabouts so that the guy is j--u--s--t pulling away. I let him get about a dozen boat lengths ahead, by now he has his chest all puffed out, and then I floor it. My 'Stream literally jumps ahead and by the time (moments later) I am alongside of him (80 mph at this point) the hull goes into ground effect and my boat really takes off. Next thing he knows I am gone-gone-gone and if I had seen him driving like a jerk earlier, he just got rooster-tailed, too. I suppose that some might call this juvenile, but it never gets old (and I rigged this boat in 1987).
Exactly!! I have a '91 Mustang GT I refurbished (with a "little" extra under the hood). Kids these day drive tuned nitro powered toyota's and the like......you know, with stove pipes for mufflers. I enjoy reminding these import tuners what American Muscle looks like, sounds like......and with them in my rear view mirror...smells like. It's the "sleeper" look that gets them.

Though, with the M817......nothing compares now. Even my wife asked "what's next ....a tank?" ......which I replied "do you know what a half track is?"

Having fun! :grin:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my first MV (a civilianized M-37) in the early 1970's. I had just gotten out of Uncle Sam's Daycare (Army - I was in '68 to '71). It was exactly what I thought a truck should be - let function determine form.

It got sold in the mid 70's and I didn't have a truck for few years. Then on Nov 4th 1980 I bought my current M-37 / M-42. Yes, I know it's a "little truck" but it is exactly the size I like. I got it for off road work and just "exploring" in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. It took me to lots and lots of places I never could have gotten to in any other vehicle. It even made me a very large sum of money from a property transaction I never would have been able to do without that truck.

So, 4 wheeling (not the crazy high speed modern "abuse it 'til it breaks" stuff, but the quieter, slow and easy stuff) is what I answered. It seemed the most accurate.

They are great trucks! :driver:

And little kids seem to love them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks