• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

List your reason behind your MV

The green monster got me for...

• Parades

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Hunting, Trails and 4x4

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • BOV/ EMP proof

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Work/BOV/Parades/Coolness factor/ Multi-Fuel appeal.

Votes: 109 83.2%

• Total voters

Truckoholic

I selected all of the above:) If there was an option for "Because I can" that would have been my selection. ha ha I just think they are cool. Never really had much of an actual useful reason for buying mine. Just something to play with.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a boat too heavy for the F150. For what I have in the deuce, I'm maybe half of what a 200k mile 10-yr-old diesel one ton would have cost me. AND: 1-I'm much more of a mechanic than I was before; 2-together with the boat, I have the coolest stuff in the storage yard, beating even the old fire engine!

Attachments

Last edited:

goldneagle

I didn't even know civilians could own an MV when I lived in NJ 2005. My friend Don who lives in Louisiana told me about his Deuce and how cool it was. 6 x 6 and can go almost anywhere! I said I wish I could have one...2 years later I moved down to LA and got a M105 shortly after. My first Deuce followed shortly after. Been collecting MV's since.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because. And Ferroequineoist sucked me in. And I like the stares as I go by.....

jaymcb

1) Because they pay a token of respect for the men and women who served and used them.
2) Because they are awesomely cool
3) Because my son will have memories of the 400 mile recovery drive home after we flew down to Meade to pick it up
4) Because my 1009 reminds me of the civy one I had when I was a kid
5) Parades
6) You're not likely to get stuck in one on the road
7) You never know when you're going to need one :whistle:
8) Cheaper than other mid-life crisis toys :p
9) You've pretty much got to pry the grin off my face after a drive in one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My first tour of duty in the Army was from 72-76......the last two years were in Germany in a Signal Unit. Since they had all the teletype operators they needed the First Sergeant gave me up to the Mess Hall as a driver. I put 50,000 miles on a deuce from 74-76 driving for the Mess Hall and the Supply Room......made a run somewhere every weekday.

Having a deuce reminds me of the days of my misspent youth....sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I went back on active duty in 1985 and the first unit I went to at Fort Benning was an Ordnance Unit.....we had just about everything with wheels on it including deuces.

I have stick time in most vehicles the Army operated from the 60's to present........still love to get in something big, noisey and built by the lowest bidder.

While the deuce holds a special place in my heart I have owned several M915's and if I had any way to make it pay for itself I would have a M916.

I also like HEMMT's (except for that two stroke Driptriot engine) and would own one if I wouldn't have to mortgage the farm to get it.

I'm gunning for a 900 series 5 ton becase the clutch knee has gone out.

I like MV's because they are easier on my body than drinking and whoring.

My ex-wife didn't like MV's either......I sure miss her home made biscuits.

dmetalmiki

Well for me was the "extra" <Buzz> working for a different military to my home countries...I recall some lunchtimes we (the civilian employed) would wander over to a hanger where this RED unusual but handsome firetruck used to be stored...I spent HOURS munching sarne'ys and just a staring at it..(wishing....) so on base I had a 1/2 track stored..I liked that truck and it did Raise eyebrows chuffing on and off base with that! I owned a ww11 Mb jeep also I'd had since I was 15! years old. (it's been to australia . U.S.A. africa..Blighty!) so..long story short..YEARS later I now OWN that fire unit..It's an M45. A/M. General. multi fuel (now with a "C" whistling turbo to add to the attraction.) and pleasure of driving. and (now) everything works on it. re-built most took 4 years. Bought a deuce because I liked them from seing them "steaming round" our home town here. (yes the military ran U.S. Vehicles from bases here.) Working on base Improved the "bug"!. So I bought a a 5 ton to make as a camper (getting too old for canvass camping) M54-A2 which I put a Russian Praga Radio body on. Allways wanted an M62 and when mine came up for sale I PAID THE PRICE! It's mine now. Why..well that's one of my trucks I can stare at (specially some friday nights supping ruski beerz!) and often wonder "HOW the HECK do I own THAT???" but then...When I look at my collection I REALLY (sometimes) have to wonder "HOW do I ( come to) own ALL that LOT??"( the GAmma Goat? I had to have after having a drive in it at Beltring show , It STILL amazes me to look at and drive...and Sometimes when I "ferry all 9 to a LOCAL show..I just HAVE to tell amazed lookers.." well..SOME people Collect..STAMPS!" Sorry cant post pics just keep getting "you dont have the authority or are not signed in" message (which I am)

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest when I was a kid I saw a Deuce run a road block in a Rambo movie and thought it was the coolest truck on 10 wheels. Since then I have had my 3 Deuces, a 109 and a 1028. I like the versatility of the Multi-Fuel and the true work factor of the 1028. The support trailers are a given for any scenario. They just go with the truck.

Thanks for participating in this thread. It's cool to read the like minded story's.

gunboy1656

I chose the parade only option, but that was an after thought of why I got it. I mostly wanted mine cause I collected military stuff from long ago. When I would go to the store I would pick up the auto/truck trader and look for all the military vehicles in them.

Mostly it was the bridge transporters I would find, and boy were they cheap. Then one day my dad came home from work with a rock and dirt magazine and it had a British Abbott in it for just under 14,000 bucks.

So glad my dad did not tell me about the life savings I had.