• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log of my M1165. Project Joshua.

4x4Junkie13

Mog,

Best I can do is focus in with software. I hope that is good enough.
View attachment 912627I left Cali. Vehicle is in Cali. If it’s an emergency I can ask Eric to shoot a few pics. I’m 3200 miles away.

That area broke away. Bolt holds broken piece of plastic. I will customize to resecure. L-shaped bracket and a few screws and she should be good.

I like this idea, I will have to do the same in mine on both sides. I am interested in what you come up with. I am just starting my build and am a long way from working on the creature comforts as of yet.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CV joint boots:

12 K boots with part numbers…

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
# 8 glowplug sheared off at the level of the head. 🙄

Tranny shifts into first and second and then stuck in second. Won’t hit third.

Gonna listen to Steve and leave the broken plug alone.

Gonna do the transmission light thing. Hoping it’s simple like a bad solenoid. IMG_4288.jpeg

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 1200 clams, might get Webasto.

It will warm engine, making glow plug replacement less urgent.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, possibly the stupidest question ever...

Where the transmission guide says "disconnect glow plug controller", do they mean at the engine side, the firewall side, or both (ie.: remove the PCB/EESS)?

About to play with the tranny and jumper the J2 A-E

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, possibly the stupidest question ever...

Where the transmission guide says "disconnect glow plug controller", do they mean at the engine side, the firewall side, or both (ie.: remove the PCB/EESS)?

About to play with the tranny and jumper the J2 A-E
The silver thing screwed in the water manifold.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with following the TM is, is that a lot procedures are old and outdated.
using the term “glow plug controller“ for example on late model trucks, because it changed to a Temp sending unit and the term ”GPC”
is no longer valid, same as when they refer to PCB “Protective control box”.

fact, disconnecting the TSU if you have an S3 EESS smart start box will net you 2 different results depending on if you have a Narton or a KDS brand box, even unplugged, the GP light will be on for 9 seconds and can and will apply 24v to the GP’s…its supposed to fast flash and not send voltage to the GP’s. So….in my shop, for long term Troubleshooting, I unplug the red boots at all GP and pull the TSU plug, the truck if warm will start and run and you can perform all the on/off ignition maint required.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, snow in Littlerock, California, so decided to other things.

Purchased all I need for Transmission check J2 A-E tomorrow.

Read up on the transmission TM until the rain stopped.

Went to local NAPA and had some plugs for the brandy new ECV oil cooler with bent lines I purchased for $500. I had a plan… Had them tap threads into one plug and added a shraider valve.

Heated the vent line to cherry red, added 50PSI pressure to the cooler. The area began to swell back from flat. Then gently used a vice grip to squeeze the line and voilà, the line is open enough for oil passage. I resisted trying to make the unit look better, because “the enemy of good is better”. (ie.: something would have broken with too much fiddling around).

I let the unit cool and then I polished with Scott bright and I painted.

Thanks to Jack Powell, NAPA owner and car enthusiast for his help. Thanks for bringing a stranger into your amazing home auto restoration workshop and helping with my crazy plan. Great guy. Great NAPA. This is the old America that we need to bring back. IMG_4359.jpegIMG_4356.jpegIMG_4357.jpegIMG_4358.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks NDT.

What “pops out” to me are two things:

The $$$ saved

The fact that I’m almost certain that this is the oil cooler setup that SteelSoldiers himself sent back due to this damage. Makes his and my rigs brothers through organ donation. 😆

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you gotta laugh.

I forgot that the glow plug temp sending unit was removed from my rig by the military, and that I filled the hole with a plug.

My post asking about disconnecting the glow plug unit was unecessary. I have my Genius Box with manual control. No temp sensor required. I had forgotten the glow plug sensor lives disconnected.

Now gonna check the tranny.

I love working in God’s open air workshop. At least when it’s not raining.IMG_4458.jpeg

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am farked…

Transmission just pumps out code 12 over and over. Because tranny came empty from GovPlanet I cannot inspect the old fluid for shards of metal or burned fluid…

Nothing else… just 1-2….1-2….1-2….1-2….1-2…etc.

My fluid level is high. I will drain some off and recheck shift.

EDIT- my concern was with no codes coming out and difficulty shifting, I was afraid of a mechanical fracture or failure.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am farked…

Transmission just pumps out code 12 over and over. Because tranny came empty from GovPlanet I cannot inspect the old fluid for shards of metal or burned fluid…

Nothing else… just 1-2….1-2….1-2….1-2….1-2…etc.

My fluid level is high. I will drain some off and recheck shift.
Unplug the TCM and see if it acts normally for that condition, with a good reverse and forward in 2nd gear, if not then there is something mechanical wrong with the trans.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also remember if you have disconnected the batteries since the last time you drove it and the trans failed to do whatever it is failing to do you erased the codes.
Is it just not shifting???

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, seems like there may be a happy ending…

Brought fluid down to appropriate. Shifts downhill but not uphill. Black smoke uphill. Downhill shifts all four gears. Uphill engine is gutless and exhaust turns black.

When I placed the new IP I am guessing the timing is not right. I will retime tomorrow.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, seems like there may be a happy ending…

Brought fluid down to appropriate. Shifts downhill but not uphill. Black smoke uphill. Downhill shifts all four gears. Uphill engine is gutless and exhaust turns black.

When I placed the new IP I am guessing the timing is not right. I will retime tomorrow.
Could be plugged converter?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad a few things are going your way. I have the same truck and I think we got them around the same time. This truck is my personal favorite not because it’s any better or worse but I just love the 4 door truck. I had to replace my ip also and I had leaks everywhere. I don’t think I have 100 miles from reset. 90% of my leaks have been loose hose clamps. How are you looking as far as leaks? I really need a 200amp generator becside my voltage regulator went out and I’m not keeping the 400 amp. Excited to see how it turns out for you.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad a few things are going your way. I have the same truck and I think we got them around the same time. This truck is my personal favorite not because it’s any better or worse but I just love the 4 door truck. I had to replace my ip also and I had leaks everywhere. I don’t think I have 100 miles from reset. 90% of my leaks have been loose hose clamps. How are you looking as far as leaks? I really need a 200amp generator becside my voltage regulator went out and I’m not keeping the 400 amp. Excited to see how it turns out for you.
Thanks for the support!

No leaks on the air intake. I’ve replaced or refurbished all the air hose clamps. Just found another silly oil leak around the transmission cooler, but, I’m changing that entire assembly tomorrow hopefully. The 200 amp is definitely better than the 400 amp because it just doesn’t get in the way as much however, I prefer Hummer H1 idea of swapping over to GM amps. I see no reason to run a large amp that cost $1600. I am already planning on using a rebuildable amp. That will be in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks