• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisville Ky bound!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, The turbo is blowing oil out the stack. It's toast.

JCKnife is going back home for another turbo. Gonna do a turbo swap on the side of the road.

I'll update again when I know more.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The things that happen when people get rushed and forget to tighten the drain plug. I will remember this and use locktight next time, could happen to anyone. At least gimps not in Alaska -30 doing a turbo swap.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to have an inventory of turbochargers. Couldn't he just plug the stack, temporarily of course.:popcorn:

JCKnife

I've got the take-off turbo and heading northbound. I can't read this thread while driving. Gimp has my cell phone #. I'll PM it to doghead too just in case Gimp's phone dies.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bought a gas station charger, there's $50 gone. Old turbo is, everything is full of oil, the impeller one the compression side ate the housing. Had a slight stack fire, that was fun, you cant imagine how much smoke I was blowing! Hope when npe shows up I can get back to normal and get his truck taken apart. Then get home, if this is a C turbo, im a gonna be pizzed!:gimp:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you have one more option.

Plug the oil supply hole with a pipe plug and run it N/A.

Hoseclamp a rag over the intake elbow for a filter.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just butting in here, My turbo in an Isuzu NPR went out and I had to have the truck towed, w/o the turbo there was no pressure and I was blowing black smoke so bad the cloud covered the expressway. Point being gimps engine is off, it's going to be a cold day for him.

Hope he brought his sleeping bag to curl up in to keep warm waiting for the new one.:popcorn:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you right near a Loves truck stop?

I was looking on mapquest.

JCKnife

Gimp is changing the turbo now. I was standing by to help but it's kind of a one-man job, space wise, so I ran for a bite of lunch.

Couple pics of his fried-turbo smokescreen attached.

p.s. it is a C turbo going on. :jumpin:

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, smokescreen! Like James Bond.

davey8943

Couple pics of his fried-turbo smokescreen attached.

Holy Cow!

Good thing you ended up NOT selling the turbo off that truck to me!

I am planning on heading your way tomorrow, but let me know if you need a hand before then. I think you have my cell number, but I'll PM it again, just in case.

Dave