• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 for my daughter the field biologist

jpg

Put the cover on the M1101 today. The bolts and washers were sealed in plastic, yet still had white corrosion. I soaked them in Naval Jelly, hit them with rust reformer, and put them in. I'll likely need to replace them with SS hardware eventually, since they seem to be bright steel, but they'll serve for now.

One of my front shackle pins was held in place by a cotter pin that was almost gone. There was just barely enough of the cotter pin left to keep the shackle pin in place. 30 seconds with a dremel removed that little bit, and I removed the shackle pin with the rest of the cotter pin in place. Wire brushed the rust off the shackles and pins, and hit them with Rust Reformer.
photo (12).jpg
I'd never seen a cotter pin fail that way. I went and inspected all the other cotter pins on the truck, and found rusty ones, but no other near-failures. Replacing them with stainless cotter pins as I go.

A friend who is raising her almost-3-yr-old granddaughter had a logistical problem. Sick kid, can't use daycare, the usual... She needed someone to transport the kid, and I drew the short straw. I took a photo of the truck with the car seat installed, just to document that it can be done. Who needs minivans? In our trucks, kids can ride in the front seat!
photo (9).jpg

Last edited:

jpg

So I gotta ask - is this really for your daughter or was that an excuse to get one for yourself? :beer:
Once I get the M1010 fully up to speed, it will be her call. She has a Subaru Outback which currently serves as her base of operations. The M1010 would clearly get her further back into the mountains, and has more space to serve as her base camp/lab. It's also more awkward to drive around town, and fuel economy is worse. I don't know what she'll choose.

I have a Banks kit to install. That plus a 700R4, a fairing and 33" tires should give her acceptable highway performance. I have a second fuel tank to install, which will give her acceptable range. I have a winch and comms to install. I need to figure out a camera rig to address the blind spots and make backing up and parking less worrisome. I need to get the heater and A/C working, and set up a house bank to protect the starter bank. My to-do list is substantial. I'm working through it as quickly as time and funding permit.

Once the truck is ready, we'll take it into the mountains together and put it through its paces. She'll decide whether she wants the M1010 or the Subaru. I'll drive the other. She may swap back and forth. She's applying to grad school now, and the Subaru might be a better match for her lifestyle while in school.

If she takes the M1010, I'll probably start looking for another one for my son. He wants one for a base of operations for his SCUBA expeditions. At least I won't be such a newbie the second time around.

For myself? It's tough to imagine a family that needs 3 M1010s, but I wouldn't mind one for myself. I see enough folks on this list with multiple MVs to think it might happen to me too. Who knows?

Another Ahab

If she takes the M1010, I'll probably start looking for another one for my son. He wants one for a base of operations for his SCUBA expeditions. At least I won't be such a newbie the second time around.

For myself? It's tough to imagine a family that needs 3 M1010s, but I wouldn't mind one for myself. I see enough folks on this list with multiple MVs to think it might happen to me too. Who knows?
Shoot, you're getting to be the nationwide expert on the M1010's from all of your work here.

I don't know what the market would be for these, completely outfitted, but you might be able to make it a career! IF you even wanted to. I mean, who knows!?

Skinny

I'm not sure where I stand on this but your daughter and I are probably the only people on the planet that own Subaru station wagons AND M1010 ambulances at this point.

jpg

The M1010 has 4 focus lights in the back. One of the switches failed. I couldn't find an exact replacement, so I replaced it with a toggle switch. It's not original, but the light works now. I had to grind down the toggle switch to make it fit. I didn't modify the light, so I can go back to original if I ever find the switch.
photo 1 (13).jpgphoto 2 (12).jpgphoto 3 (10).jpgphoto 1 (11).jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. I haven't yet found a connector to match it, though...
View attachment 597355View attachment 597354
Of course you did! It's attached to the one bolted in place. Trust me, you have both pieces there. I was stunned to find that with mine.

The M1010 has 4 focus lights in the back. One of the switches failed. I couldn't find an exact replacement, so I replaced it with a toggle switch. It's not original, but the light works now. I had to grind down the toggle switch to make it fit. I didn't modify the light, so I can go back to original if I ever find the switch.
View attachment 598573View attachment 598572View attachment 598571View attachment 598570
I think we shop at the same store. My replacement switches look exactly the same. Nice to get rid of the slide switches. I still need to find an acceptable LED replacement bulb.

tim292stro

Yes. I haven't yet found a connector to match it, though...
Of course you did! It's attached to the one bolted in place. Trust me, you have both pieces there. I was stunned to find that with mine.
Indeed - I had missed it before but that picture you posted is looking into the back of two un-crimped plug terminals :jumpin:. that anderson plug should pull apart at the half-way point, then you just need to remove the two terminals crimp them to a cable set and re-insert them :)

jpg

Of course you did! It's attached to the one bolted in place.
Indeed - I had missed it before but that picture you posted is looking into the back of two un-crimped plug terminals :jumpin:. that anderson plug should pull apart at the half-way point, then you just need to remove the two terminals crimp them to a cable set and re-insert them :)

Well, I feel like an idiot! You guys ROCK! Thanks!

In my defense, I have to get into an unfamiliar yoga position just to reach a camera back there to take a picture of the thing... It never occurred to me that I would have 2 connectors there...

jpg

Just a quick update. Lots has happened, but little info of value to the group.

• New tires (Cooper RTX). They have lots of siping, so hopefully they'll do well on ice. Old tires failed in the cold. Turns out the spare was never used, factory original, 33 years old! It crumbled quickly in the cold.
  • New blower motor for the in-dash heater. It started making a horrible noise. I thought I was dragging sheet metal until I turned the heater off.
  • New wiper motor (the washer pump quit).
  • Still struggling to get the personnel heater working. I now own 3 of them and some spare parts. With the help of SS, I'm learning about them. I *will* get one working reliably... Probably in August.
  • The truck now has stock upholstery in the back, and 2 patient assist booms.
  • The NAPA HD truck belts are holding up nicely so far.
  • I have a solar panel on the dash to keep the batteries topped off. The jury is out as to whether the juice is worth the squeeze.
  • Truck starts well at -20F. It has all the SS-recommended mods to help that happen.
  • It's now sufficiently in order that I could transport 5 passengers any time without moving stuff out of the way and apologizing for piles of tools and parts -- 6 if someone wants to ride the attendant's saddle. In the pic below, the gear on the left is strapped to 2 stretchers, so I can quickly remove it and make room for another 4 passengers if required. This works well for me.
  • I made a 1,000 mile road trip to see Mom. Stopped at cucvrus on the way back & got a bunch of parts. The truck worked great, except the windshield washer pump quit.
  • I drove my son and his HS buddies to the Homecoming Game. They're all in college now, and of age, so the fact that the truck is registered as a camper came in handy. The open container rule doesn't apply in the back of a motor home or camper. You can fit lots of college kids in the back of an M1010, but they're like locusts. Nothing but empty containers remain when they leave.
  • I like the as-built configuration. I have camping-style plumbing and cooking facilities, which works fine for me. The toilet is very simple but works great, handling a constipated 350-lb football player without any fuss or maintenance required. (Show me an RV toilet that can do that!) The truck comfortably stores all my tools, spares, camping gear, and a bunch of food & supplies. I watch people rip the guts out of these & install RV-style furniture & systems. I prefer restoring it as-built and using camping-style gear. To each their own.
  • I drive this into Boston every day, and park it in a regular parking spot, like any other full sized xcab pickup. Unlike the other trucks, it sleeps 4 and has 11 seat belts. At 13 MPG it's no Prius, but it suits my lifestyle.

My daughter is starting grad school, so I have more time to work on this. So far, I'm dealing with the usual MV/CUCV issues that have been discussed many times on SS. It's been a while since I've encountered something that isn't answered by searching SS.

I'm hoping to eventually go through a few months without any major work. When that happens, I'll consider the basic restoration complete, and ready for my daughter.

photo 1 (16).jpg

The to-do list includes items well covered elsewhere on SS. Fix heat, a/c, and floodlights. Paint. Comms. Maybe more batteries and/or a small generator. Maybe a hard top for the M1101. Maybe change gearing for lower RPM at highway speed. Maybe a blower for operation at high altitude. Add a winch. Etc. There's enough to keep me busy while she's in grad school. These are all upgrades, though. The basic vehicle is solid and surprisingly reliable.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm beginning to wonder if you will be able to let it go when she is ready. Seems you have grown attached.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got an idea for you, jpg. Keep this beast for yourself. Buy a second ambulance. Use all of your newly acquired skills to custom build an ambulance just for her. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks