• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

Dirt71

It was time to take a look at the front end. Man talk about neglect, the pic's speak for themselve's. Had to disassemble the whole axle to clean it up properly. I will be replacing inner axle seal's, pinion seal, hub seal's as well as brake shoe's and wheel cylinder's.

Attachments

battlecr

David, thanks for taking some great photo's. I'm going to be heading into my front end pretty soon, I'll use these as a resource. I just finished rebuilding my e-brake handle. It was frozen up. It's those little items that slow you down.:roll:

Don G.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, those hubs haven't had a serious deal of maintenance since the Eisenhower Administration. Looks great so far, Dirt!

Keep up the good work!

BTW, when this half-track is done, you plan on getting back into 10-tons?

Dirt71

Wow, those hubs haven't had a serious deal of maintenance since the Eisenhower Administration. Looks great so far, Dirt!

Keep up the good work!

BTW, when this half-track is done, you plan on getting back into 10-tons?
I gotta say, I do miss my 10 ton stuff, but I'll be sticking with the halftrack. It's got a certain coolness all it's own. 8)

Attachments

battlecr

I hear you about the 10ton's I was assistant driver and dozer operator, I liked driving the 10ton. But you also have it right the half track has a coolness all it's own. Spent time today with the little stuff. Keep driving on.
G.
Don

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That topic has been covered in exactly 14,273 threads on SS. The front roller was added to help the half-track get itself out of ditches, if the vehicle "nosed-in", it could "roll out".

Dirt71

Got the front axle back together today, not alot of time to clean and paint everything as I would like to. I will be relocating my shop by the end of the month, lot's to do between now and then. As I said before, I'm more worried about everything working mechanically as it should.:D

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"That topic has been covered in exactly 14,273 threads on SS. The front roller was added to help the half-track get itself out of ditches, if the vehicle "nosed-in", it could "roll out". "

I'm sure everything has been covered at one point on these forums, so why not just close the forums to all new posts and just have a search feature. Geez.

Wayofftrack

I get asked the roller question more than any other. Sometimes if I'm feeling a little freaky I tell em its a gigantic dough roller. I believe in the manual it is called an 'unditching device' It also makes a comfy seat believe it or not just don't ride up there when I'm driving.
It's all good. :beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks