• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

Dirt71

I needed to hook up the over flow tank but discovered it was like swiss cheese after doing a little cleaning. So I asked Alex(U.M.S.C.6062) about what he could do with it. After looking at it he decided to just fab up a new one, using the old mounting bracket's and fill cap. :-D I wish I just had half the talent he has!!!!

Attachments

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely fantastic job! I thoroughly have enjoyed every one of your posts, and look forward to seeing more!

What is going on with the person who bought all of your 10 ton trucks? Are they continuing on in your fashion? :beer:

ClintA

that is by far the coolest thread I have ever read!!!!!!! I have wanted one for ever. My hat is off to you and your work. Now I must ask a stupid question, how does a half track turn? Is there enough weight on the front wheels to turn or do the tracks brake like a cat (dozzer) when you turn the wheel. I imagine them in sand or soft dirt and the front wheels just dig in and get pushed straight forward. In my simple mind, there should be breaks that slow the track that is turning left or right? OK, SS make fun of me but I have allways wondered.

cpf240

Now I must ask a stupid question, how does a half track turn? Is there enough weight on the front wheels to turn or do the tracks brake like a cat (dozzer) when you turn the wheel. I imagine them in sand or soft dirt and the front wheels just dig in and get pushed straight forward. In my simple mind, there should be breaks that slow the track that is turning left or right? OK, SS make fun of me but I have allways wondered.
Isn't this covered in the -10 TM? :)

( no, I don't really know either and also wonder how it works )

Wayofftrack

I imagine them in sand or soft dirt and the front wheels just dig in and get pushed straight forward. In my simple mind, there should be breaks that slow the track that is turning left or right?
The front wheels can tend to plow like that in soft sand or mud. The track brake feature for turning that you describe was used on German halftracks in WW2 but not American halftracks.

Nice job on your resto David!

vettes

Hey Karl, I have this issue with one of mine. Where did you find the replacement parts and how did you go abut fixing it.

Andy

Hey Dirt71,
Check your rear idler axles / pivots for excessive wear. Ours where worn to the point that it allowed the rear idlers to "toe" in. The outer halves of our rear idler sprockets were almost worn through buy the track center guides. I was able to find replacements for everything since ours were junk.
Karl

battlecr

The front wheels can tend to plow like that in soft sand or mud. The track brake feature for turning that you describe was used on German halftracks in WW2 but not American halftracks.

Nice job on your resto David!
The other thing to remember is the American halftracks the front axle was powered so it was working for you. Plus look how long the tracks are on the german tracks compared to the american tracks. Just my 2 cents:deadhorse:

Don G.