• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David if this is a quick resto, I would hate to see the amount of detail you do on a full restoration. :)

Very cool to see an old 1/2 track, I had models as a boy and thought they were the bomb

:drool:

Dirt71

Got it primed, painted and back in it's spot. Waiting on spring's from Gary to replace the broken one's.

Attachments

zout

Dirt71 - can I bring the 109 down and live in it on your yard and work in that awesome shop of your - I work cheap - I work for beers. Throw me a minature milkbone for a treat and I am happy.

Awesome cleaning and detailed workmanship.

Dirt71

Brake's, brakedrum's and drivesprockett's mounted today. I was able to clean and reuse the brakeshoe's they were in really good shape. I did replace the wheel cylinder's and inner wheel seal's. The front axle will get same attention when I get to it, so I should have no problem stopping.

Attachments

Dirt71

I was told these were a real pain to get apart, how true. My boss helped out, we soaked and soaked with PB blaster and heated with torch and pushed with 100ton press but it would not move. So we set it up so we could swing a 20lb sledge hammer on it to shock it. It worked on this one but the other is still not moving at all. He is going to give it a little more time and try again. If it does'nt move he has acces to a 500ton press or he said soaking it in Hydrocloric Acid will get in and eat the rust out and loosen it up. In doing all this beating and pushing we have destroyed the shaft's. New one's on the way. By swinging the sledge we were able to break the hold the rust had and then push it out with press, but it still struggled.

Attachments

Dirt71

Just a little more progress, got everything cleaned and painted, bearing's packed with grease (Synthetic) and installed, new shaft installed on the one side, my boss still working on freeing up the other one. I even polished up my Brass Nut's :wink:

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirt71 I must admit I have followed your 10 ton work since I came aboard and was not only facinated but beyond impressed with you level of workmanship, when you announced that you were getting into the halftrack project and not doing anymore 10 tons I was saddened and dissapointed BUT and that is a big "BUT" your quality of work on this unit is still Number "1" as usual you do it 100% right the first time, I miss the 10 tons but this is equally incredible Thanks for all the posts they are awesome!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks