• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

yd328

Nice work, you're moving right along.
If you're talking about the shaft for the spring perch I used an air hammer and penetrating oil to work the shaft back and forth until it finally slid out.

Gary

Danger Ranger

Just hurry up with the dang thing!!! Hahahaha! No really, just keep chugging along, it all looks like it is doing great. We want more, we want more....:D

M215

Hey Dirt71,
Check your rear idler axles / pivots for excessive wear. Ours where worn to the point that it allowed the rear idlers to "toe" in. The outer halves of our rear idler sprockets were almost worn through buy the track center guides. I was able to find replacements for everything since ours were junk. Normally there is two grease zerks per pivot, I installed four on each one to improve greasing since the pivot does not fully rotate. The volute spring perch / crab assembly are usually rusted solid. After replacing ours I installed a grease zerk between the volute springs to allow greasing of the center pin. I even added grease zerks to each of the 8 bogie support arms. These require drilling two holes at 90 degrees of each other since the bearing point is at the top of the arm. It was fun since they are hardened steel. These vehicles have already survived 70 years, hopefully these efforts will prolong the life of these irreplaceable parts.
Your M3 looks great, thank you for saving a piece of American history.
Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

col.halftrack

Ok,
Wow a really great thread! I cannot believe it took me this long to find it. David this is one great M3 project. I am trying to do a couple halftracks this year and not sure if I will go this far down or not on both. Did you and Clint make repros of the M3 pedestal mount crossmember. I would like to get several made.
All the Best
Kevin Lockwood

Dirt71

Ok,
Wow a really great thread! I cannot believe it took me this long to find it. David this is one great M3 project. I am trying to do a couple halftracks this year and not sure if I will go this far down or not on both. Did you and Clint make repros of the M3 pedestal mount crossmember. I would like to get several made.
All the Best
Kevin Lockwood

Yes, Clint came up my place a couple of week's ago and took my pedestal mount and a couple other piece's to use as pattern's. His fab guy I understand is having some health issue's, but is working on the piece's.

battlecr

Dirt finally got a chance go through your whole thread, wow nice work. Your doing a great job. You were right about your frame it is in sad shape. I had an extra frame that I got with my Diamond T it was an A=car frame but even with having to shorten the frame back up my original frame was in better shape.

I wish I had the finances to buy new bogie wheels right now but that will be another purchase. I just priced bearings for the rear axle. O-w-w. I've got my sprockets and idlers at the sand blasters right now.

So hopefully the brakes get done next week I should finish rebuilding the hydro=vac this weekend.

Half trackks are cool

Don G.

steve1973

Dirt,
WOW![thumbzup] You have done an outstanding job. It gives me a better idea on what to expect when I tear mine down. I'm working with Don G. getting his M3 back into shape. I've learned a lot working on his so when I get mine bake in my shop I will know what to do. Isn't that how it's susposed to work?:lol: Although Don is not going to tear his down as far as you did but I'm going to. Might as well get it don now rather than latter, right? I'm also learning that having the right tools for the job really helps. I to have a gantry crane and it has helped us out quite a bit. Again, looking forward to reading your posts.

Side note - I'm new to this site and have noticed that you can subscribe to this thread. How, or is it automatic like on the G503 site?

Steve A.

Danger Ranger

When you post in a thread, there is an automatic subscription. You can unsubscribe in thread tools if you want. Play around with the site to get a feel for it. Welcome aboard.

The truck is looking great Dirt, keep it up, inquiring minds are expecting an update soon....