• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Insurance.. Got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzerbob

On those policies that have mile restrictions, how do they verify that? not to mention that the odometerin my m35 seems not to work

ajg6989

gulfway is the one I went with tried hagerty they said no. Its sad there is so many lies through the insurance agency and people who dont know their companies own policies.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
USAA is great for me and I have had them insure everything for almost 20 years. I have eight vehicles with them and in Maryland trailers are covered by the towing vehicle so any little bit more I pay is made up by the fact I have way more trailers than trucks. My daughter just asked me about this and I told here not to worry about it I pay and it is my hobby. My oldest son looked for a policy for his TJ and thought he found the best deal USAA gave him a better deal by over $500 a year.

ronfry261

State Farm took care of my XM211 for $215 per 6 months. Had to send some pictures since the gal had no idea what I was talking about when I told her what it was.

Ron

Preacherboy

This is an old thread, but is there any other suggestions about insurance companys? I just got off the phone with my State Farm agent and she said Hagerty will not insure it unless it is garaged kept and she quoted me, bare bones plain jain insurance at $618 per year.

I am trying to call Gulfway and get a quote. Any Michigan fellas with some answers?

velociT

For the record, just wanted to update this thread.

Geico now insures Deuces non-commercially.

I got a non-commercial liability policy for $500/yr.

Gulfway couldn't help me because I don't have another vehicle to insure with them.

arkhaus4x4

Insurance Woes!

Hey, my first post here. But I've been lurking for a few months. I love this forum, and have been trying to soak up as much information as possible.

I just bought my first deuce on the 16th of December. But today when trying to insure/register it I've run into some problems. Just got back from the State Farm agent twenty minutes ago, and went straight to the forum here to look up "insurance" and I see this thread so I don't mean to hijack it!

State Farm quoted me $56 a year for comprehensive "classic" insurance. In fact I was in and out of there in no time, just had to show a few pictures of the truck and the title. But my next stop was at the Notary. He tells me that in Pennsylvania he can't give out "classic" plates, only the state can. That I have to go to an "enhanced inspector" submit photos and that it has to be completely stock.

Which is a problem since its "bobbed" like so many here have done, so this means its been modified and also the motor was rebuilt in 1991 when it was still owned by the Gov't. The notary tells me I should not register it as a classic, that it will take months and costs hundreds (up to $600!) to take it through an "enhanced inspector" to be graded as a classic. That I should instead just get it insured as a regular private vehicle.

So I went back to State Farm to see how else they could insure it for me, and then just try and get regular plates. But the truck isn't in their system, the title lists it as a 1970 Jeep "TK" whatever "TK" is I have no idea. I told the agent its an M35A2 and that is how I have it listed on the insurance policy.

Okay so there have got to be members here who live in Pennsylvania that have their own "bobbed" deuce street legal. How do you have it registered and insured? And who? Anyone with State Farm because my Agent said if I could get them the name of another agent who set up a policy with one of these trucks they could use it as a template for me.

Any information would be appreciated, I'm going to continue doing research but it'd be nice to get some hard facts from people in this state who have cut through all this bureaucratic nonsense and red tape!

BEASTMASTER

the TK usually stands for truck. i can't understand why you guys just don't tell you're ins. agents that the truck is a 2&1/2 ton truck and leave it at that. what diff. does it make if it was a fire truck or a town truck,or a gravel truck, or an oil truck?? just the year ,the make& model and the weight should be sufficient, i would think. so what if it is ex military,it shoud be proudly driven on our roads and easily reg & ins. my 2 cents.

ALFA2

Arkhouse4x4, just as a suggestion, a notary is not trained, informed or in any other way authorized to give you suggestions on classifications of vehicle type or style of it's registration, only local DMV inspector can do that in your state. So possibly go to a more carefree notary as in a bank of your choice, and get it done there. Also, the TK designation for System computer that lists you Deuce as 1970 Jeep TK is "truck" which would be correct. The Model number is M45A2 which is also correct, the level of modification is usually looked at if it is deemed unsafe: removal of bumpers, lights, safety equipment of some type, or adding a high lift kit, with tall blocks or other unsafe methods. Classic designation is determined by the your your truck is titled as was built/manufactured in. not the number of axles or style of paint. Each state determines this in a different way, so check you state for the dates, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 years old, different classifications and restrictions apply. Classic is about right for your truck.

I hope it helps some.

ALFA2

arkhaus4x4

Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow I'm going to a different notary and will just keep it simple. A 2.5 ton 1970 jeep "truck". My problem is I love talking about them and make small talk, I should have learned by now this can only get you into trouble with pencil pushers and other bureaucratic types!

I spoke with Dave from Eastern Surplus outside Philly and he made a good point that the time to get it registered as a classic is before doing big mods like bobbing it, which is something that I just hadn't considered up until now when I began my obsession with the M35, but a lesson learned none the less!

Preacherboy

So...any suggestions from Michigan boys? Just go with non-historical or whatever and get regular plates and regular insurance and pay the $600 per year for a truck that I might drive once a week, just cruising around?

littlebob

Lots of different threads on this subject. I checked with my State Farm agent when I got mine, just to see and they wouldn't touch it without a commercial policy, might be the need of tort reform in LA. I would make sure your insurance provider knows what they are insuring or you may not be covered if something happens. I'd hate to lose my house to get an insurance card
for something that wasn't fully disclosed or misinterpreted by the agent entering the info, if the
it was needed.2cents

DEUCEBIGALOW

I just got off the phone with hagerty.. zero deduct and stored in a garage and it is 184 a year.. Super excited.... Other than that USAA has my vote drive it as much as you want and no garage and it was like 600 a year for full coverage.. but being prior service might have to do with that rate.. My .02

jerseyjeep2003

USAA first wanted to sell me historic insurance, but said it must be garaged. I explained it was just a driver and I only wanted liability insurance, she said no problem. The girl said to explain to the other department (she only wrote historic) what I needed and they would write the policy. Well they did and also covered my non MV vehicles. They saved me almost $1100 over AAA. Got the binder, waiting for the actual paper policy to arrive, probably this week. I paid in full for they year.

Katahdin

I recently combined my home insurance, 93 Yukon, 04 Jeep TJ, and wife's 02 Saab policies under State Farm. The insurance discounts for combining the policies almost covers the $320/yr policy for the deuce.

Note, the deuce policy is written up as a separate commercial policy so having it itself does not affect the home/auto discounts.

SMOKEWAGON66

USAA referred me to a higher company cause they couldnt insure it for Cali....the higher company turned out to be progressive :neutral: its a lil pricey but w/e..its insured

Unforgiven

I bet if you looked at the statistics involving Deuces and accidents that you would find they are uncommon. They are slow, loud, and the owners are very aware of this & adjust their driving style accordingly.

If anything, I would suspect the Deuces have a much lower percentage of accidents than commercial vehicles of the same size.

But, since it's "unusual" the insurance companies get away with massive gouging (at least out west). They know you have nowhere else to turn so they really rip you. You guys back east complaining about $300 a year policies should consider yourselves lucky. It's 2.5 times that amount out west and has to have a commercial policy.

SMOKEWAGON66

You guys back east complaining about $300 a year policies should consider yourselves lucky. It's 2.5 times that amount out west and has to have a commercial policy.
...yah... 2100 a year for me :!: ...im sure my 2 "commercial" moving violations have something to do with that though rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks