• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Newbie

jonster

Hey everyone! Lots of great info. I picked up my mep 002a with 41 hours on it. It look brand new, so I don't want to muck things up. I ordered spin on kits for both the oil and fuel systems, with new filters. Mine came with the batteries, they also looked new and were date stamped Dec. 2011. They were dead, but after four days on a 2 amp charger they are back. The gas tank had what looked like carmel pudding in the bottom and spot rust through out. I sucked all of the debris out and degreased it with brake cleaner. I then filled the tank to the brim with white vinegar and let it sit for a day. The tank looks brand new inside! Enough about me. I have been reading the TMs. I think I understand the start procedure. What do I do with the speed control. Is the generator live, or does it go live when I flip the breakers? Basically, I have been reading as much about this 002a, there must be a combined knowledge pool on this site to rival any Apollo launch. Could somebody just put together a check list, I like lists. One more thing. My fuel tank gas cap seal is broken. I ordered another, but was hoping to start this thing this weekend. Will a broken seal affect prime? Thanks in advance!

johnray13

Congrats on the 002. Where in Va are you?

The cap is vented so it won't affect the prime.

Btw, my throttle was a little sticky at first and it took me a minute or two to get it up to 60hz as the knob didn't want to move. Thankfully no harm was done.

John

Last edited:

Triple Jim

What do I do with the speed control.
Normally it's set for 1800 RPM = 60 Hz and left there. There's no need to change it for starting, etc.. You probably know, but the coarse adjustment is by pushing the button and moving the big knob in and out. Fine adjustment is by turning the big knob.

Is the generator live, or does it go live when I flip the breakers?
It's live when the engine is running, if things are working properly. The convenience outlet is normally live even when the main (triple) breaker is off, unless its circuit breaker is tripped.

jonster

John,
I am just down the road from you in Orange. This throttle thing is bugging me. Do i zero it first, or just start and adjust from there? Have you hooked yours up to your house?

jonster

Thanks Jim. When I was picking it up, a guy told me to make sure and prime the fuel system for at least ten minutes with fresh fuel, to clean out the injectors, does that sound right. This is my first diesel anything, believe it or not, I am pretty good with the gas stuff. Three British vehicles including a D90 forces one to be a grease monkey.

Triple Jim

The range of the throttle adjustment is pretty limited, so it doesn't really matter very much where it's set for your first start. Just get it running and adjust it to 60 Hz. The 002A and 003A regulators are not in danger if the speed is below 1800 RPM (60 Hz) so don't be scared. From my recent measurements of regulator current, I'd say it's better to start low and bring it up to 1800 than to start high and bring it down, because regulator current is highest at max throttle.

I'm fairly new to diesel engines, so others here are better at priming advice, but priming/flushing the fuel system has to be a good idea if it hasn't been run for a while.

johnray13

John,
I am just down the road from you in Orange. This throttle thing is bugging me. Do i zero it first, or just start and adjust from there? Have you hooked yours up to your house?
Yea, I hooked it up my 003a to my house via a 200amp manual transfer switch. My neighbor recently converted to electric heat and she gave me her 275 HHO tank which was 3/4 full. It is set up next to the 003. I topped it off, added a pump and treated it with PS Diesel Kleen and PS Biocide. I did not plumb into the bottom petcock so I could use that to bleed off any collected water. I set it up with a sight slope towards the drain end.

As far as the throttle, I started up the set and turned the knob to gain 60hz but it wouldn't move off of 55. It took me a minute to figure out you have to pull the knob and lock it in place with the button. Then you can fine tune with the knob.

Like I said it took a minute or two (I was a little panicked) but no harm was done.

John

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
DO be scared! If you idle the motor, you can blow up the voltage regulator. You want to set it at 1800 rpm and leave it there.

Triple Jim

That's often true of generators that have a regulator that supplies current directly to the exciter field, but the 002 and 003 work opposite to that. The regulator supplies current to CVT1 to reduce the field current. This means that running the engine slower than 1800 rpm causes the regulator to try to increase output by reducing regulation current. I've verified this by measuring regulator current while varying engine speed. As I've said, I don't doubt that 002 and 003 reglators fail, but it's not because they were run at low engine speed. In fact just yesterday I ran my 003 from lowest to highest speed, and the regulator output current was round 0.15 amps at the lowest speed, and 0.40 amps at the highest speed. The output transistor was noticeably warm when the engine was above 1800 rpm.

I agree with you, gimpyrobb, that there's no need to change the speed setting from 1800, but running slower is not going to be the cause of a blown regulator with this particular generator.

Isaac-1

If yours came with batteries dated Dec 2011 I doubt if your will have any issue with fuel going bad in the lines, this typically requires sitting without running for longer periods of time (years), which is doubtful with a 13-14 month old battery. I bought a MEP-002a last summer which I believe had been sitting around since its last major service dated 2010 (stencilled on cover panel) and had no trouble at all with priming and getting it to start after confirming it had new filters installed.

gimpyrobb

That's often true of generators that have a regulator that supplies current directly to the exciter field, but the 002 and 003 work opposite to that. The regulator supplies current to CVT1 to reduce the field current. This means that running the engine slower than 1800 rpm causes the regulator to try to increase output by reducing regulation current. I've verified this by measuring regulator current while varying engine speed. As I've said, I don't doubt that 002 and 003 reglators fail, but it's not because they were run at low engine speed. In fact just yesterday I ran my 003 from lowest to highest speed, and the regulator output current was round 0.15 amps at the lowest speed, and 0.40 amps at the highest speed. The output transistor was noticeably warm when the engine was above 1800 rpm.

I agree with you, gimpyrobb, that there's no need to change the speed setting from 1800, but running slower is not going to be the cause of a blown regulator with this particular generator.

Well, that goes against what many here on SS have stated, but is noted. I set mine at 61hz no load and don't mess with it. Good to see folks diving deeper into these things.

DeucesWild11

How do you know when you are at 1800 RPMs? When you adjust to 60hz? I have mine running at full throttle because I heard it was not good to idle. Although I have not run it that much just yet.

Thanks!

PS: Gimpyrobb, I am going to send that button to you within the next few days. Thanks again the IP is working great!

Isaac-1

1800 RPMS = 60 HZ on a 4 pole generator like these, the onboard frequency meters may be a bit off though, so it is best to adjust using a good multimeter that reads frequency or many of us suggest buying a $20 Kill-A-Watt meter as they will measure both voltage and frequency as well as current draw of things plugged into them and are cheap.

Triple Jim

GR, I know what you mean about what has been stated here and many other places previously. I'm very sure that all the warnings were sincere as well.

DW, yes, if it's giving 60 Hz power, the engine is running 1800 RPM. The catch is that the frequency meter on the generator may or may not be working correctly, so it's necessary to check that with another measuring method like a multimeter that can read Hz, or a Kill-a-Watt meter, etc..

Edit: Typed in parallel with Ike's post. He covered it nicely.

jonster

Could be trouble. I installed spin on fuel and oil filters. Removed the return hose from gas tank and primed and flushed fuel system. I noticed that when the batteries are hooked up, my hour meter clicks, even when switched off. I ignored it, preheated, primed and hit start. The beast roared to life, with in a second I saw a spark and smoke and I quickly shut it down. The large bundle of wires going into the back of the control box is fried. I noticed when I have the battery hooked up, the bundle sparks. Not sure what to do next.

jonster

Fire works on MEP002A

Got my gen all set up, fresh filters, fresh fluids, and charged batteries. I followed the start procedure, and she fired right up. About a second into it a spark and a puff of smoke shot up from behind my control box. I shut everything down and inspected the damage. The large plug behind the box, has bare wires in it. I did notice that when I hooked the batteries up, the hour meter began clicking (engine off). I must have a short. Any ideas, anyone know where I can buy a wiring harness for not too much $. I also noticed when I handle the bundle, little sparks fly around. I opened the control box, and nothing looked fried. Help!

Jimc

im sure there are a few guys on the site that can help you out with a new wire harness. if its only a few wires that are bad you can unsolder them from the canon plug and replace them individually

gimpyrobb

There is no need to start a new thread on a new problem. You should keep everything in the same thread when working on the same unit. This will help you and others in the future. It will help others understand the steps in getting a genset running, and help you stay organized.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks