• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Newbie

Isaac-1

Many low-mid quality multimeters have trouble reading frequency correctly on generators, even some high end models are known to have issues. This can be caused by skewed waveform, noise, induction from the other phases, etc.

jonster

I figured it out. My meter was picking up the noise from the compressor, and or the heater I had on to test the generator. I Grounded the genset, and the meter is reading 60 hz steady. Kind of weird.

bchauvette

Thanks for the tank cleaning tips. I'm with in days of cleaning the Carmel pudding from my MOG Tank. I've read several procedures. I'm going to add yours to my repertoire.

bchauvette

Why are manual generator maual transfer switches so expensive? All I can tell is that they are 3 or 4 pole double throw swithes in a huge over size box. Harbor freight has them for over $300.00. Why are the enclosures so big? The switch looks like a gold fish in the middle of a swimming pool. Ebay has Chinese 3 and 4 pole covered double pole switches for around $80.00. Can I use these? Do I need to put it in an enclosure? Does the enclosure need to be so big?

Isaac-1

Why are manual generator maual transfer switches so expensive? All I can tell is that they are 3 or 4 pole double throw swithes in a huge over size box. Harbor freight has them for over $300.00. Why are the enclosures so big? The switch looks like a gold fish in the middle of a swimming pool. Ebay has Chinese 3 and 4 pole covered double pole switches for around $80.00. Can I use these? Do I need to put it in an enclosure? Does the enclosure need to be so big?

The case sizes have to do with NEC code regulation for wire spacing and bend radius, the cheap Chinese switches likely don't meet code on that and may (probably) have other features that fail to meet code. What size switch are you looking at? I assume your looking at a whole home switch probably in the 200 amp range?

Ike

p.s. sometimes you can find deals on transfer switches on ebay using alternative search terms like, generator switch, or double throw switch, also consider buying used, I bought a used 200 amp heavy duty Square D 3 pole double throw switch with center off on ebay a couple of years ago for under $100, and a 400 amp Ronk brand 2 pole transfer switch without center off for $150 or so. (the Ronk switches are often a cheap, but workable design choice, they do have a few down sides, one they are aluminum cases so don't use if near salt water, and secondly the covers are screwed down, not hinged so it is little more word opening and closing the housings.)

bchauvette

An absolutly perfect solution at a resonable price! Not only do you save on having to buy a huge transfer switch but also the hassel and expense of installing it.

Thanks Jerry

Isaac-1

One thing to be aware of regarding interlock kits, they can fail in a non safe condition if the breakers weld themselves closed so that the switch part moves, but it does not break contact. For this reason they are not allowed in all areas, check your local regulations / inspector before buying any interlock kit (it seems more and more places are outlawing them)

jonster

I have a quick question. My 002a seems to be working great. Is there a range at which the oil pressure should be at. Mine seems about 45, is that too high?

Triple Jim

That's not unusual for a cold engine. Mine drops to more like 30-35 once it's fully warmed up. It really depends on what oil you're using and how long it's been in there.

jonster

New rotella-15w40. I have not run this thing for very long. I want to load her up this weekend and see how she does. Thanks again.

Jon

jonster

Here is a funny one. I just got a mep002a going. I had to clean the fuel tank out, we covered that. I am now working on a mep016e, and have a nasty tank. I took the tank off and was working up quite a sweat when my wife walked up and watched me struggle for a bit. She then went inside and returned with a new toilet brush and a bottle of CLR. She smiled and said, "you owe me a new toilet brush." She turned and walked away. I poured the CLR into the plastic tank and began to scrub. Presto! I love my gal!

Jimc

my psi gauge is pegged when cold. once it runs and really heats up it goes down to 35-40. nothin to worry about. gas tanks are a pia. i have to clean and line alot of motorcycle tanks. degrease them with some mineral spirits. once the thick stuff is out then lacquer thinner or acetone melts the varnish and gum into nothing. pour that out then 1/2 gal muriatic acid will dissolve the rust. rinse with water, empty then a qt of acetone to suck the moisture out of the tank. it will look like brand new metal and be ready if you want to put tank liner or sealer in it.

johnray13

I kinda wondered the same thing. But after wiring my 200A manual transfer switch, you need all that room. There are two 4/0 SE coming in and a 4 wire #1. Also, I had to be careful to keep the neutrals isolated from the can which is a little tricky with SE since the neutral is not insulated.

Yes, it seems they are over priced but I was happy I got a GE (matches the rest of my panels).

One last thing. You also need to set a breaker enclosure with breaker immediately after the generator to protect the wire from the gen set to the transfer switch. The generator breaker won't protect your wire, it just protects the generator. Here is a pic of mine:
IMG_0759.jpgAnd the gen set with breaker enclosure. You need to size your breaker to the wire gauge you use, NOT the generator output. I got both (and a 2p 70A breaker) on ebay. I lucked out on the wire and got that for free!
IMG_0765.jpg
John

Jimc

thats all i use jim. novalac epoxy is the only thing i will use in my tanks. all that other over the counter junk is just that.....junk.

Isaac-1

While we are on the topic of fuel tank epoxy coating, if you had a pristine, like new metal fuel tank on your MEP generator would you go ahead and epoxy coat it now? I ask because the MEP-002a I bought last summer form GL came with a brand new fuel tank.

Jimc

Well its not necessary but if it were me i would. On a new tank its quick and easy. Just acid etch it, make sure its dry then do the liner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks