• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Newbie

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I merged them.

Triple Jim

No, it shouldn't. It's supposed to run only if there's oil pressure and the master switch is in one of the two prime/run positions, or if the switch is in the start position.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Jonathan, you must have the type of hour meter I have, which is the old type that has a spring driven clock movement that gets wound once in a while by an electromagnet. If you cut power to it shortly after it goes "click" and winds the spring, it will keep running until the spring winds down.

steelandcanvas

Jonathan, you must have the type of hour meter I have, which is the old type that has a spring driven clock movement that gets wound once in a while by an electromagnet. If you cut power to it shortly after it goes "click" and winds the spring, it will keep running until the spring winds down.
Thanks TJ, I often wondered why it continued to click after the power was off, but once it stopped, I never gave it another thought.

jonster

I took another look at the J2 plug. It seems that a wire was frayed and thin, it shorted and heated some wire around it. Is there a way to open this connector up and re-solder the connection. While snooping around, I found a tag dated 10-2011, the unit passed inspection and is considered B condition. Anyone know what that means. If anyone knows where I can find a wiring harness cheap (green mt. gen. wants $200) Mine is painted up so identifying the wires is difficult.

Jimc

Yes open the plug up so you can see the end of the pin where the wire is soldered in. You dont have to remove the pin. Use a soldering iron. Melt the original solder and pull out the wire and solder in a new wire. The boot is silicone so you wont melt it if you use a soldering iron.

jonster

My short is on the harness side of the cable. I removed the two screws, and the rings are loose, but how do get the socket base out of the housing?

Jimc

Its a rubber puece and a plastic almost wedge seal around it. Pull those back. It will slide on the wires and reveal another silicone piece that the pins are in

Jimc

its just age. old wires the casing gets brittle then they get moved and it cracks etc. plastic breaks down in uv light. could be any number of things really.

Jimc

many of these machines just sit outside for years. almost all of the electrical components ground through the case by usually the mounting bolt. the ground situation on these machines usually isnt too great. my control box for instance, every single bolt was solid rust. i replaced all my mounting bolts with stainless and star washers, wire wheeled all my bolts and cleaned the contact surface really well. judging by mine i think alot of problems on these machines can be avoided and reliability increased by going through all the bolts/grounds to make sure all the connections are really good.

jonster

Try again.

Okay, I have ordered a new harness, I have checked all the grounds. Before I replace the harness, is there anything else I should check, I don't want to fry another $200 harness. Are there any settings that when not done correctly could cause a short. I am posting a pic of the fried J2.

Attachments

storeman

You might consider replacing the connector (if damaged) and wiring it yourself, or simply repairing/splicing the burnt wire in the connector. Harnesses are certainly available for far less than $200 and connectors should be available at a reasonable price as well.
Jerry

jonster

New harness is in, anything else I should check before i fire her up again. If I want 240 1 phase, I the output switch all the way to the right, what setting should the selector on the cubicle be set at?

jonster

Sweet success! Thanks to all who helped by answering my newbie questions. I realize, most of my questions were in the tm, which I have been reading quite a bit lately but having some hands on advice is priceless. The engine fired right up, and I adjusted for 60 hz. My meter confirmed it. One weird thing, my meter would read 60 hz for a minute or two and then hit 120 for a second. Loads all checked out. I ran a 1500 watt heater and a 200 watt lamp, and a compressor all at once, and only hit about 40% load. Impressive. I also love the way we Americans engineer things. I am a bigger than average male, with big ole mits. There seems to be no place on this thing that I can't reach. I love that. Thanks again. By the way, the spin on filter kits by Joe Johnson are bullet proof, great kit and easy to install. Thanks again!