• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A/803A gauge lighting

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
There are 3 gauges which can have the inside lit.
Your fuel level, coolant temp, oil pressure gauges.

I simply made a jumper wire from the pos+ post from the panel lights over to the open 1/4 blades on each of the gauges.
Now they light up when I flip on my panel light switch. :)
control panel gauge jumpers 1.jpgcontrol panel gauge jumpers 2a.jpglighted gauges dark.jpg

Last edited:

Hawaiian-Time

Yea... Good one! I was just thinking about doing that mod yesterday when I was looking at the back of the panel. Defiantly going to do it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I now have changed over three units to have the gauges light up with the panel switch.

hammick

My 2002 802a doesn't have the gauges with the bulbs. It looks like they can be added though if the part could be sourced. My 2000 802a has the bulbs. Go figure.

IMG_2947.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, I guess the ones with white backed gauges with the little black bulb holder then only. I do not know the years which there was a change over.

2007 MEP-802A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2007 MEP-803A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2009 MEP-802A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2009 MEP-803A has the white backed gauges and are now lit

hammick

Howdy,
OK, I guess the ones with white backed gauges with the little black bulb holder then only. I do not know the years which there was a change over.

2007 MEP-802A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2007 MEP-803A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2009 MEP-802A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
2009 MEP-803A has the white backed gauges and are now lit
Maybe I am wrong about my 2002 802a. I just checked a photo from GL and it has the black gauges. My friend picked up his '04 802a today and it has black gauges.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
There was no change. The military spec's call for a gauge. Nothing more, for the generators. The gages came from several different manufactures. Some of the manufactures also produced gages for other things, that had a need, (also a requirement) for a light. The military is big on interchangeability. So, manufactures decided to ship whatever they have on hand at the time its ordered. Its easier to make a gage that capable of having a light bulb put in it, then to make two different gages. One with, and one without. Sometimes you get a gage with a light, sometimes not. If we had a copy of FEDLOG, we could look into it, and see how many different types of equipment use that gage. Normally, only vehicles get lighted gages. Gen sets went to green panel lights in about 2004, because of light discipline. So lighted gages would have been a no no, for that reason. For "normal" people like you and me, Mikes improvement is super. But showing a light at night in the army, would get you a wack on the head.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1997 802A gauges have openings for light sockets.

Here's one of my gauges with the light socket opening. The opening is 5/8".
20160427_154739.jpg

Did some research and found the Dorman 85805 socket is a match for the gauge opening.
Got them from Rockauto.com for $1.63 each
20160427_154616.jpg

Fit's perfectly in the gauge opening.
20160427_154746.jpg

Just waiting for the 24 volt miniature bayonet bulbs to arrive so I can finish the install.

Last edited:

hammick

Nice discovery Kloppk! I haven't tried just panel lights yet at night. If I can't see the gauges I will order these. Do you mind posting the info on the bulbs? Let or regular bulbs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks