• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mk48 night mare

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why they made flashlights.
Just messing with you I hope it something simple like the trans case is just not getting fully engaged.

Smokinyoda

Just my opinion here but if I spent $30k on a truck, especially from a dealer, I would at least expect it to make it up my driveway. I say send it back if, and only if, you will get a full refund.

After you spent the night first checking the simple things with your flashlight of course! Good luck on whatever you decide.

DrillerSurplus

MK48 transfer case

Artisan & Suprman have correct part # & NSN for the MK48 transfer case – the ones in Nevada are for the Hemmt & very different. See photos

MK48 transfer case.jpgMK48 Transfer case 1429530U.jpgHEMMT transfer case NSN 2520013481332.jpg

Both the transmission and the transfer case shift via a cable –see page 2-350 of TM 08780B-24P for diagram of trans and page 2-421 for transfer case. The transfer case also has an air shift for lock out –see page 2-423 of same TM. I uploaded another copy of TM 08780B-24P with some extra bookmarks for the many shift mechanisms to a dropbox folder MK48 Dropbox
View attachment Page 2-421 from MK48-TM-08780B-24P shift lever.pdfView attachment Page 2-423 MK48-TM-08780B-24P Air shift TC.pdfView attachment page 2-350 Trans shift control MK48-TM-08780B-24P pdf373.pdf

I uploaded the maintenance TM to the same dropbox folder MK48 Dropbox and added a few extra bookmarks for the transfer case troubleshooting section. I think you have a pretty good chance to visually determine whether or not the shifting mechanism is moving as it should when you look underneath tomorrow. In any case you might want to pull the drain plug on transfer case & fish around with a magnet to see if any big chunks come out.
TM 08780B-34 transfer case bookmarks.jpg

Hope it is something simple, it sure looks like a clean unit.

Jeepsinker

I'm still going with the misadjusted shift cable. They have it adjusted just shy of full gear engagement, allowing it to pop out. And that is about par for the course with so few miles on it. They haven't worked all the bugs out of it.

Hoefler

I would think the engagement linkage for the transfer case is out of adjustment. That truck went 1000 miles jiggling on a flathead probably shucking the transfer case output shaft back and forth-maybe enough to affect a poorly adjusted cable.
Pete

RDUKW

It could be the linkage but the transfer lever has a lot more throw then what is needed to shift the transfer case. If it is a bad case I would let the dealer have his truck back as that will be a BIG project to swap a transfer case. I had the fun of changing out a bad trans in mine it requires some big equipment and a lot of time.

DrillerSurplus

I'd be inclined to go with RDUKW's recommendation. The transfer case would probably be easier than the transmission, but still a big job. And, the first time you do any repair is when you pay the price of the learning curve.

RDUKW, I remember your thread about the problem with the Allison in your MK48, but never heard how it resolved.

RDUKW

I'd be inclined to go with RDUKW's recommendation. The transfer case would probably be easier than the transmission, but still a big job. And, the first time you do any repair is when you pay the price of the learning curve.

RDUKW, I remember your thread about the problem with the Allison in your MK48, but never heard how it resolved.

I ended up putting a new trans in because the further I dug the more it led to a cracked case.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I got the truck up to my shop today.The dealer is buying another transfer case and is going to pay the labor bill.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Brian Harrison of Harrison trucks has been very cooperative in this matter.I am anxious to get her going.I ran the hook on the truck today it worked flawlessly.

Hoefler

John,
Sounds like you bought from a good seller. Glad to hear they are doing the right thing.
Do you have a remote operator for the rear unit? How about the jack and remote pump?
Pete

DrillerSurplus

I recall that Harrison bought some of the nicest MK48 units that came out.

Also, FYI, I got a couple of the MK48A1 (NSN 2320-01-417-3180) front units & did a little research at the time. There doesn't seem to be many changes for the A1 version. The 2004 versions of TM 08780B-24P & TM 08780B-10 that Artisan & I were referring you to cover both versions.

- this is what I had downloaded about the MK48A1-

"MK48A1 offers slight improvements to the original MK48. Those improvements include a revised battery box and cover, an extra cab entry step for both sides, modified air intake cover, and added handles and steps to ease climbing on top of the power unit."

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am happy with Brian Harrison.I do have a remote power unit for my rear unit.It also came with jack,tools and a full pallet of new parts that I saw listed on ebay $2k,it has a lot of replacement parts in the kit.Just not a transfer case.It does have a new transfer case cover in the box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks