• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mk48 night mare

RDUKW

Artisan

There ya go! Now you will have a much better understanding of that beast and
you can paint a few things perhaps, and maybe even fix a leak or two.

Measure twice, cut once.

DrillerSurplus

it it is a big project. I lost a few nights of sleep thinking the truck would never drive again with my project. In the end she fired right up and ran great. I have survived going deep into the dragons belly all I can say is mark all the hoses and wiring well.
Many of the drill rigs we work on have even more hoses and a good system of marking/labeling them can save a lot of time when it goes back together. We used different color zip ties. Or even better, we got some old 25 pair phone cable and cut 6" lengths. They have a standard color code scheme and more color choices makes it easier than the zip ties when you can run out of colors pretty quickly.

25 pair color code.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25-pair_color_code

Hoefler

The hydraulic hoses that feed the rear unit are of different sizes with mating ends. Will be a good idea to take plenty of photos to ensure the routing is the same when putting back together.
There is a guy on this site that has replacement hose sets for the MK. I have not been able to secure a set for my truck-communication breakdown. He had a reasonable price on them. Perhaps if two of us went at it, we might secure brand new hose kits (mine are covered in thick tan carc).
Pete

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is a monster....Wonder why its so much bigger than the hemtt.
Just a speculation, but I'd say since the MK48 "can" be driven by the front axles alone. The t-case is overbuilt to support the front drive since most t-cases are designed to power just the rear primarily and add in the front selectively.

DrillerSurplus

The hydraulic hoses that feed the rear unit are of different sizes with mating ends. Will be a good idea to take plenty of photos to ensure the routing is the same when putting back together.
There is a guy on this site that has replacement hose sets for the MK. I have not been able to secure a set for my truck-communication breakdown. He had a reasonable price on them. Perhaps if two of us went at it, we might secure brand new hose kits (mine are covered in thick tan carc).
Pete

I'd be in for a set if it happens.

Hoefler

The transfer case has an internal locking differential that is used to "lock" the front output shaft to the rear output shaft. In unlocked, the two outputs can turn at different speeds depending upon traction.
Pete

DrillerSurplus

That is what we used ,phone wire.
As they say, great minds think alike!

Actually, I hadn't heard of it before I learned it from one of the drillers I worked with about 5 years ago. It has really helped a lot on projects where there are a lot of different hoses. I posted to make a tiny payback for all the knowledge I've gained from this site.

I'm glad the project seems to be moving along. It's sort of jumping into a fire, but as Artisan said, you'll end up a lot more familiar with the unit than you would be otherwise-should serve you in the long run.