• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mk48 night mare

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I went down to Blount Island in Fla with Ron and we put several of the MK-48's back together and loaded them for shipment. One person bought just the power unit and I had to load it up a steep ramp. When it hit center of gravity and dropped onto the deck of the trailer my O-ring tightened up to the point you couldn't have driven a needle past it with a 12 pound sledge hammer.:shock:

Artisan

:tigger:

I went down to Blount Island in Fla with Ron and we put several of the MK-48's back together and loaded them for shipment. One person bought just the power unit and I had to load it up a steep ramp. When it hit center of gravity and dropped onto the deck of the trailer my O-ring tightened up to the point you couldn't have driven a needle past it with a 12 pound sledge hammer.:shock:

Oh MAN I pray that is not coming from the voice of experience! ;-)

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
mk48 fix 001.jpgmk48 fix 002.jpgMore tear down pics.**** what a MAJOR job this turned out to be.It really sux to tear apart such a beautiful machine with only 185 miles on it...

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I grabbed the input shaft on the old transfer case and it wiggles up and down about a quarter inch.The new transfer case is tight.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strange, how can anything with that many hydraulic hoses operate with "battle damage" and still be mission capable? You have a task ahead of you. Sure she will be worth all your hard effort when you get her back together!
God bless
Tony

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
mk48 trans lift 003.jpgmk48 trans lift 004.jpgmk48 trans lift 005.jpgmk48 trans lift 006.jpgmk48 trans lift 007.jpgmk48 trans lift 008.jpgmk48 trans lift 009.jpgmk48 trans lift 010.jpgmk48 trans lift 011.jpgWe pulled the transfer case today and reset the new one in.That was a big part of the job done.The mechanic noticed that the old transfer case paint was blistered above the input shaft,looks like it got real hot and fried the bearings or the lube pump went bad.there is a pic of it .

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
That was my buddies girl friend.That was incentive to get the mechanics to work faster.She cooked them lunch on the grill.I told them lunch would be served after the transfer case was set..

Last edited:

Artisan

That sure is a fine lookin' trailer you have there John.
Are there more pics of that trailer? :grin:

...all kiddin' aside congrats, looks like you are "Over the Hill"
and on your way to success. Go slow, do it right, cross your tee's
and dot your eyes.

After this is all over will you do a T/C rebuild thread?

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a job! Good luck getting it back together, and I hope to see some videos of you cruising in it really soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks