• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR RECOVERY from Yermo cali to Georgia

8madjack

Since you are not allowed to post auctions/Craigslist or any of the other sites I'm just guessing that is why no post about which one.
This is one of those rules that doesn't make sense. Particularly when someone is trying to find a part.

That being said, I assume ebay when someone says "popular auction site" :grin:

winfred

i can't really see the particles on the magnet well enough in the video but if they are flakey im gonna guess you are loosing a bearing race, the surface is damaged and is coming up and being rolled flat by the bearing rollers, the rest of the bearings may or not survive ingesting the metal as it is circulated by the fluid, their races may look pitted slightly by the embedded metal particles, the gearset will likely be fine unless its run till the failed bearing has a major failure and comes apart loosing containment of either the pinion or carrier positioning, then the gears will loose alignment and eat one another.

i don't have experience with a diff near that large so this is speculation based on upscaling 1/2 and 1 ton diff and transfer case failures

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
i can't really see the particles on the magnet well enough in the video but if they are flakey im gonna guess you are loosing a bearing race, the surface is damaged and is coming up and being rolled flat by the bearing rollers, the rest of the bearings may or not survive ingesting the metal as it is circulated by the fluid, their races may look pitted slightly by the embedded metal particles, the gearset will likely be fine unless its run till the failed bearing has a major failure and comes apart loosing containment of either the pinion or carrier positioning, then the gears will loose alignment and eat one another.

i don't have experience with a diff near that large so this is speculation based on upscaling 1/2 and 1 ton diff and transfer case failures
Pretty good observation! I was stressed out about it until I drained all 3 diffs and all 3 had the exact same thing on the drain plugs. After talking to a few people familiar with these trucks they do have lockers and in the manual it clearly states “Do not engage additional axles while spinning a tire, damage may occur” and that’s what we are theorizing has happened. Small chunks of the locker, I inspected the bearings with a snake camera they all look good from what I can see. I’ve changed the fluid and will keep a close eye on temperatures. Probably will run the fluid another 500 miles or more, then drop it and inspect it by running through the centrifuge to see what kind of wear particles are present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winfred

it is normal for some metal bits on the magnet, ya gotta be able to read them, the small difference in temp at the rear diff could be it's just the last thing to receive airflow under the truck, shiney lube scares me a little though

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Gave her **** at the Georgia Rally, rebuilt the compressor aftercooler and air dryer; crazy how much of an improvement these trucks are over the 5 tons. I put it through the worst I could for over 100 miles offroad this past week and I couldn’t phase it, had some traction issues due to non-op ctis but after I aired down the truck was almost unstoppable. IMG_3155.JPGIMG_3176.JPG

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will eventually find your nemesis.
So be careful don't get over confident,it could get costly.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Ken I’ll probably go broke one day pulling it out of some mud... began installing the new A/C kit and listed the extra kit I have up for sale. IMG_3293.jpg

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
How are you registering and insuring this truck in Georgia?
Update on this, truck is insured through State Farm with no problem, 300k coverage across the board and less than $140 a month for commercial insurance. No word on the sf97 yet

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven’t been able to update it in a longggg time because I don’t have a desk top

Weird- I can change mine from my cell phone. I have an android and I use the "Full Site View" when using this sight which is different than the short hand version. I don't know about iPhones & Tapatalk though...

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gave her **** at the Georgia Rally, rebuilt the compressor aftercooler and air dryer; crazy how much of an improvement these trucks are over the 5 tons. I put it through the worst I could for over 100 miles offroad this past week and I couldn’t phase it, had some traction issues due to non-op ctis but after I aired down the truck was almost unstoppable.
Neat truck! It was fun seeing it at the rally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks