• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

BTW, thanks for all the compliments again everyone. And a special thanks to Seatyger for letting me keep the fuel pump! I had picked up an excellent condition M211 fuel pump but I had no use for it, so I sold it to Seatyger. After being paid, I found out i'd need the pump after all since the 6.2 lift pump hits the motor mount. I was going to order a 24V inline external pump but he was generous enough to let me keep the 211 pump. I cleaned it up, inside and out. Looks just brand new and pumps great. Couple days and I will have a tank full of diesel for the 1st time. All ready to plumb into the 6.2. Seatyger is a hoot to talk to, reminds me of Hugh (polar bear) on Ice Road Truckers. Laugh and all.

BTW, i'll get video of when the truck is "key startable" and post it here.

Also want to thank HendersonD for the glovebox doors, dash panel and reading material. No they weren't titty mags!

Also to M1010Plowboy for finding a hard top for me, as well as Hippiedude for the GMC toolbox. Oh! And Lacoda56 for the gmc gas pedal. Also Oldfart for letting me pester him like a 2 year old about endless mechanical questions. Old people rock. :beer:

I am definitely not alone in this project. Everyone has helped! The biggest thanks goes to my grandparents. Not another set out there who would let their grandson park 7 tons of iron in their backyard and still give me a lift to run my errands once a week. I sure try to give back to them when I can.

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

That goofy Dave just, dumped me a buch of parts to complete an M105A1,
that we would like to use for our Christmas Toy Drive. Thanks!
I'll pop up to the farm to pick them up, as soon as the snow lets up.
My driver is a crazy SOB,
and there isn't enough Rye Whiskey in this world,
to keep me suitably medicated for that road trip!

:beer::beer::beer:

WAYNE_L

looks great , i was at the local GL here and they had 2 of your engines getting ready for auction and i thought of your build .. next time i come home ill stop by and share notes ..

when you can try and get the ARP head stud kit and your engine will last a long time ..

overheating with your temps will be a issue .. even in the cold temps in kosovo i was overheating alot with that motor .. in a much lighter rig .. aux fan would be a good help ..

Gunfreak25

I sure am trying guys. It still needs a lot of dough and time. And I have a dog that needs to see the vet for his shots and check up. I was hoping to get this done by Christmas to enjoy the cool weather, but it will probably be another summer roast of Gunfreak25. I really try not to think about everything it still needs these days.

On the to do list:

-Rebuild air pack
-Replace hard/rubber lines
-Check shoes
-Handbrake band springs
-3 9.00's
-batteries
-reinstall electricals
-Fuel tank sender
-rebuild 10 wheel cylinders and replace 2 missing
-Exhaust
-Starter
-Alternator
-Compressor rebuild and bracket fabrication
-Radiator recore
-Passenger seat upholstery
-Oil coolers for motor/tranny
-Electric fan

Add it up and $1700 iis what I need to finish it. And that is a low estimate. It would bring the grand total of this entire project to $5100 to $5200.

I did get in about $450 in gun work that needs to be completed, though.

Gunfreak25

I think you just need new cups and dust boots correct? I have no idea who sells the kits. But they're probably pretty common parts to any large GMC of the era. I was told reusing the pistons, springs and the other bits is fine if they are not pitted or anything.

Seatyger

You crack me up Kid !!!! You owe me a large Black Coffee as I spewed mine all over the computer at work when i looked up who 'Polar Bear' was on Ice Road Truckers. I havent laughed that hard for quite some time after reading your post.

Enclosed here is a photo of me and my 'Crew' after disposing of some of societies bottom feeders. (Lets just say I have no use for drug dealing pedophiles)

We may not be pretty, and we're slow at putting our trucks together but we will surely enhance your ability to consume beverages in any way connected to malt or hops or rye or ............... ( providing of course that your of legal age bah hah hah :beer: !!

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Guys, I have the chance to pickup a very nice HD case TH400 for $150. It has a custom made heavy duty adapter plate on the rear for mounting an NP205 behind it. So it would need a transfer case to go behind it to drive the GMC tcase.

Should I spring on it? It's coming out of a rig that was custom made in Phoenix by a man who put a lot of money into making it extremely durable. He said all the tranny ports have been plugged with caps since he's had it. Really nice guy, he knows I don't have a lot of cash and wants to give me a good deal on it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to have the room with the NP205 T case?
Will you have to slide the 211 T case back?
3rd gear is 1:1 ratio, no overdrive.
May be easier to get a Th400 out of a chev 2wd pick up that would have the chev bolt pattern, Maybe 700r4?
I would not worry about the "built or hi perf" in a th400. we used to run stock in our pulling trucks and win without breakage. Your not plowing parkinglots all night.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardtops, mirrors

Made a quick trip north and got a few more pictures.
The first pic is a rear panel full of bullet holes coming from the inside of the cab. Might be hard to explain at the border so I'll keep that one, unless you want it?

Lots of good parts to choose from.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Boy, this day keeps getting better! They all look great, Dave! I would be happy to call any of those tops mine. But I am especially digging the one in picture 3 with the intact side glass. The one with the bullet holes is creepy (are there brains splattered over the inside of the top)? But I could fix bullet holes easily if I had to! I guess whichever is the easiest for you to remove. That is all up to you my friend. I talked with my grandparents by the way, and if you need a place to bunk for a couple nights it looks like a go. It would be the least we could do.

Tonight I just got off the phone with a man selling a 1992 700r4/Np231 transfer case. $200!!
It looks promising. He is getting the overall length to me on Friday. If the numbers look good, i'll have myself one sweet little GMC that will be more than capable under all conditions.

Oldfart

That cab rear window is really interesting!! I see it has a bow handle and is a single glass. Mine is a double window with little metal tabs to grab and slide. Each window in mine pushes to the center to close and then slides either way to open. I will try to find a photo of mine to post. Might be long distance photo, but I will see what I have in my arcives.

Attachments

nattieleather

The 700r4 is 1" shorter than the Th400. I've ben researching that info for myself lately. The only thing with the 700r4 is make sure it's a later model. I think like 1988 and later. The earlier ones had issues. Unless it's been all rebuilt. Also check that it has the TV or kick down cable as that is what makes it shift. $200 bucks I'd be tempted to go for it if I lived closer... :) I think you'll be happy with that set up.

Seatyger

I will be doing an inventory of NOS, Take Off and Spare parts this weekend. Should you require anything in particular let me know and I will keep an eye out for you.

Gunfreak25

Only thing I could use Seatyger is a rebuild kit for my compressor!. :D

I got an email this morning, he said it measures 46". I asked if this measurement included the yoke, and he said he thinks it does. But I will have it double check Friday and be absolutely sure on the measurement. If you add the length of my Tcase yoke plus the UV joint yoke I get a total 4 5/8". For a total of 50 5/8" in length. I only have 48" of room as of now but can make for 51" with a little work.
Not anymore than that, though.

Last edited: