• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936A2 project (update)

halftrack

Sorry I missed you Tim. Give me a ring next time. I did a little more painting today. She's coming around. Its the small details that make the truck stand out.

halftrack

Unfortunately I was not able to get a lot done this weekend. Hwever, I was able to start on the cab and actually start the camo process on the paint scheme. I thought about just leaving the truck green but looking at the other truck that was camo convinced me to do the 3 color camo. The black looks like it will require two coats. The brown color in the pictures is primer and is not what is being used for the brown.

I also bought a new gravity feed spray gun and boy what a difference it makes. I would always recommend this type of gun for top coat applications. It goes on much smoother and no runs. I just need to do something about that disgusting hard top now.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think (not 100% sure) that Maccus has an NOS 939 series hardtop.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will mention this to Jason as I will be talking with him tonight. He has gone to NYC. I think he wants his one wrecker to have a soft top, but I'll let him know.

halftrack

Been gone for over a week with the Marines. Yesterday I was finally able to finish the majority of the camo paint job and was even able to start detailing it with new marker lights and reflectors. The paint seems to go on much better when it is windy and cold outside.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice camo job, Jason! Did you chalk it out using the TM or are you free-handing it from photos?

I am headed out now to work on my truck. It's only 16* out so that should be fun.

halftrack

Good question Chris!. No, I did not use the TM. I free handed it, however, I was looking directly off the other M936 that was sitting next to it. Before I blasted it, I was able to tell that both trucks were painted exactly the same pattern.

I just left Brooklyn a couple of days ago and it was 19 degs. I have no idea how people can work and live in that type of weather. They probably say the same thing about the South's humidity and hurricanes though :).

Good wrenching! Can't wait to see your next progress post.

halftrack

Well, I finally got the spare tire mounted on and the CTIS stuff hooked up. I used the truck's crane to lift it in place. For some reason the stops are taken out of the turn table and the boom can swing 360 deg around. I like that. You just need to be a little more careful swinging by the cab. I am not sure if the CTIS is working yet but will tinker with that later. I removed the hard top and replaced it with a new soft top as well. Makes a big difference. I just need to reinstall the data plates for the rear winch controls and add the side view mirrors. A little paint touch up needs to be done as well on the front bumper and rims need to be painted black. The next task will be detailing the engine compartment as well as the interior of the cab (not that it really requires it).

I also replaced the tail lights with the aluminum ones that have the bottom LEDS in them and I replaced all of the reflectors. For the most part it is done but like will everyones truck, you never stop working on them or making that one part just a little better or newer. Here are some pics of course.

BTW, I plan on now jumping on the other truck to sell it and will continue this thread on that truck. However, if someone just has to have the truck I just finished, PM me.

Attachments

halftrack

Well, finally started to make some good progress with the second M936A2. Got the motor in and started to bolt on the accessories. It’s nice working on and with rebuilt/new stuff. Things seem to go on like a glove. I am really using the heck out of my other wrecker too.

Unfortunately, I had to take the motor out and put it back in because I thought I left out the gasket that goes around the rear crankshaft-housing cone. It’s more or less a dust boot gasket between the bell housing and the crankshaft rear housing to keep dirt and debris out. Wasted about a half a day doing that. The best part is that it was on so I did all that work for nothing. The gasket kit had TWO of them that’s why I had thought I left it off and second-guessed myself.

Making good progress now. Just need to buy the rest of the parts that are missing.

BTW, when you have help, it’s amazing how much more you can do in a day. Thanks Elias!

Attachments

BigWill1276

So did you sell one? Any more updates and pictures of the progress? Just wondering. Told the wife that the wrecker is the next item on the list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks