• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936A2 project (update)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jason, you are making fast and substantial progress!

I do have a question about blasting the wreckers though-I know you did your former M816, did you have any issues with media contaminating any driveline or wrecker body components? As we all know, the media just absolutely gets everywhere and there is little you can do about it.

When I do my deuce, I am going to pull all the hubs off afterwards to check for contamination and because it's way overdue for brakes and a major bearing service.

But what about all the wrecker body gear?

halftrack

Jason, you are making fast and substantial progress!

I do have a question about blasting the wreckers though-I know you did your former M816, did you have any issues with media contaminating any driveline or wrecker body components? As we all know, the media just absolutely gets everywhere and there is little you can do about it.

But what about all the wrecker body gear?
Good question Clinto. The M816 I had was done by a company that had the contract for the Army Reserve Units around here. I did not blast that vehicle. It did however cost me $7000 to get the truck blast and I had to bring it back to them 3 times to get it right. That being said, I was finding media all around the turn tabe in in the boom for months. I was very disappointed in the overall job but the end product came out nice. Fortunately for the wreckers, most of the components are pretty much weather resistant except for the main gear turn table. In this case not only did I use a compressor that puts out over175 cfm to blow out any remaining media but went back with a shop-vac to vaccumed the remaining media out. But like you said, you can never get it all. Put it this way, some of my decking is now textured from paint and a little sand mixed in.

But to answer your question, no I did not have any issues with the media contaminating driveline components except one hydraulic cylinder seal started to leak a few weeks later on the M816.

BTW, the media blasts grease, oil, everything clean off. Just do a thorough "brush off" after and you should be OK.

Last edited:

halftrack

Thanks for the compliments Bruce, Clinto, and Chris. Thanks avengeusa.

Chris, I use a Sullair 185 CFM trailer mounted air compressor, a 300 lb pot, using fine media sand. I bought a whole pallet of 30 100 lb bags. I had a helmet with an air line hooked up to it going through a filter first so I could breath and I went through about 10 lenses for the shield. This was all industrial size stuff. The blasting hose was 1" or large. I will take a picture of it all and post.

BTW, it was easier this time because the nozzle had the shutoff switch built in it.

halftrack

Well, another productive few hours on the truck. Today, since I could not paint because of the weather, I decided to start preping the second M936A2 for the arrival of the rebilt motor. I must admit, before, I doubted the practicality of owning and having a wrecker. Rest assure, all doubts were put to rest, espacially when I had to remove the motor by myself. The wrecker made the impossible possible.

As far as what is wrong with the motor I am taking out, who knows, thats why a reblilt one is on its way. Here are a few pictures of todays operation. BTW, a F150 can hold a 6 CTA in its bed no problem.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, now that the motor is out, this would be the time to paint the firewall, especially if you go with tan like we have been discussing. You don't have to do so as the military would not have painted it tan if the truck was green, but it would look nicer for sure.

halftrack

Jason, now that the motor is out, this would be the time to paint the firewall, especially if you go with tan like we have been discussing. You don't have to do so as the military would not have painted it tan if the truck was green, but it would look nicer for sure.
I was thinking the same Bruce. However, the truck has too nice of a camo paint job on it already so if and when I paint the firewall it will go green.

halftrack

Jason,

you still plan on selling one of those?
Yes, most definitely. I thoought long and hard of just keeping it, however, I just cant float that much money around right now. If you are interested in buying the truck as is or in the future, just PM me. I will add this, if I finish thre truck, it will be not as cheap if someone was to buy it now. I am easy to work with.

halftrack

I had a very productive Sunday.

I was able to put on paint on the wrecker body of the M936A2. Talk about a pain in the rear. It seems like you keep painting a spraying and right when you think you got it all you notice about a dozen holidays or missed spots. Did I mention painting wreckers are a pain? It definitely is not like painting a cargo truck.

I decided to go with the “CARC substitute” for the following reasons.
  • It does not fade nearly as quick or as bad as CARC. My M816 was painted using CARC and boy did it look awesome for the first year. After that it was down hill.
  • It does not have the sand paper feel. I happen to like that but the big down side is that it scuffs and holds dirt, oil, and grime way too easily and it makes it a pain to clean and maintain.
  • CARC is not readily available.
  • CARC was 3 x more expensive.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE CARC, but not when I am the one that has maintain and pay for it. Smaller items like trailers or individual parts I will paint CARC, but not big-ticket items like a whole wrecker.

I didn’t do the cab because it needs to be sanded thoroughly and detailed. I didn’t want to just “throw” paint on and say its painted. It will be going camo also. Just need to get the base coat on.

The truck so far took 2 gallons and I just barley started on a third. I just bought enough paint I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

halftrack

Thanks, Bruce, Chris, Avengeusa for the encouragement. I am now on my parts quest for the other M936A2. Once I have more of the key parts, that truck is going to fly-by in getting it in road worthy shape (minus CTIS components).

grizcty

"I decided to go with the “CARC substitute” for the following reasons."

Hey Halftraack,

Truck is lookin good!:smile:

What is the name, brand, or part # of the paint, your using?

Maybe It has been posted, and I missed it.
If so, sorry guys. :roll:

halftrack

Well, got the rebuilt motor back! Boy she is a beauty! Everything engine wise that is going back on the truck has been new or rebilt. Thank God for the other wrecker. Now I just need to clean up the accessories from the other motor and put them on this one. I sure do like the Cummins tan motor color. I am sure with all the handling I will be doing that paint touch up will be needed on the motor after installation.

Attachments

halftrack

She's a beaut! It will feel great to get that installed! How extensive was the rebuild? New liners, pistons, and bearings?
Thanks! Even though Chris the rebuild shop said there was almost no wear on any other parts and the intetnals (minus the pitting on the liners) appeared to be new the bearings, pistons, liners, were all replaced. I decided to go all the way. There were a bunch of other stuff he said he did to the motor (valve stuff, head stuff, etc) that I really didn't know what he was talking about except that the motor was better than new.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jason the trucks is sweet... how i know is.... i came by monday afternoon.. fathere in law waved but dont think he know who i was.... coming back from doing some work not far from the Zoo. .. had time to stop in to look it over. the paint is just right. i need to get my paint jobs in gear .tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks