• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936A2 project (update)

hot rod deuce

Wow, the A2's sure are bad A$$, talk about cool every where! BUT im glad I stuck with the A1 truck :razz:

Hey I have that shift cable out, any word on the PTO? Im still looking for some info so I can get my 932A1 winch moving.

halftrack

Wow, the A2's sure are bad A$$, talk about cool every where! BUT im glad I stuck with the A1 truck :razz:

Hey I have that shift cable out, any word on the PTO? Im still looking for some info so I can get my 932A1 winch moving.

I bought my PTO from CSI for $525. I believe Clark Truck parts have them for $450. All the PTOs are the same for the 939 series trucks. I will take a picture of the data tonight and post it on this thread.

halftrack

Update and News Flash!

Worked on the wrecker this weekend and after taking the exhaust system apart, I then realized that in order to put the tranny PTO on, the tranny needs to come out or least disconnected from the motor in order to allow enough room to put the PTO on the side of the tranny. At least I could not figure out a way. Any suggestions out there?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update and News Flash!

Worked on the wrecker this weekend and after taking the exhaust system apart, I then realized that in order to put the tranny PTO on, the tranny needs to come out or least disconnected from the motor in order to allow enough room to put the PTO on the side of the tranny. At least I could not figure out a way. Any suggestions out there?
Weird, you would think there would be a way to get it out since they robbed it off of your truck and the tranny was still in it. Usually they won't bother to put stuff back. The tranny would be laying in the wrecker bed upside down and full of water, right? :)

I'll pull up the manual and see what I can figure out.

halftrack

It makes sense now Chris. When I recieved the truck, everything was disconnected from the tranny including the drivesaft thrown in the back of the bed. The tranny was on held on by3 bolts to the motor. Also the cover plate for the PTO access area on the side of the tranny was on only hand tight.

I suspect they did go through the motion of putting the tranny back after they robbed the PTO however they did not finish the job. I am wondering what else around the tranny is not bolted right.

Does the converter on the tranny bolt to the fly wheel of the motor or is it just a shaft with a spline thing?

grizcty

Hey Half Track,

I just wanted to say "thanks" for posting this info on your truck.

It will be a big help, for a newbie like me

Wondering if you, or someone else.
Could take a couple of pictures for me. (for my M936)
I am looking for pictures of the fuel primer pump. And drain petcock.

I have not yet seen my "new" truck in person.
I am hoping, there is a after market part available.
But know, I will need to replace this when I pick it up. (been a long, & SLOW process)

Grant from G.L. told/wrote me, the following:

"I saw the primer pump was missing a drain petcock, so I am assuming there is air being drawn in through that opening when it rolls over."

Thanks

grizcty

Thanks,

I think G.L. is waiting for me to kick the bucket.
Before finally, accepting my EUC.

They sure took my $ quick.
As it now, a month later!

halftrack

Wow! I don't know were to began. Sorry for such a big gap in the progress, however, I got a lot done.

First, the brakes. As some of you all know, I was having brake problems with the brakes locking up slowly over a period of 15 mins. After looking extensively through the air diagrams in the TMs, I narrowed it down to one of two things. My first suspicion was the foot pedal valve. However, after going through the pain of replacing this, it looked too good to be the problem when I took it off. It ended up costing me about $130 for a replacement and that was with a core exchange! Did I mention parts are expensive and hard to come by for these trucks? Well the pedal happens to be a common heavy duty truck item. No problem there.

The second suspicious part was a valve used for locking the brakes with the PTO when the wrecker boom is engaged. I didn't realize this until after I had already replaced the treadle valve. I went to investigate this strange valve when I noticed my PTO lever was not fully seated in its locked position. I am thinking this was allowing air to leak by through the valve and ultimately locking the brakes after a period of time. Bad news is I have not been able to see if that was the cause of the problem because of the transmission / PTO work I had to do which is my next area of discussion.

I also replaced the Pure Air Plus filter on the air dryer. Just the filter cost $100 bucks. That is probably the last time I ever replace it. The most expensive filter I ever bought.

Attachments

Last edited:

halftrack

I know its been awhile since an update so here it goes.

Seeing Chris and all the work he has accomplished has motivated me to finish up my truck once and for all.

A few months ago I had to add the tranny PTO for the Front winch on the side of the transmission. Unfortunately it required that the entire trans mission be dropped from the truck. A huge undertaken to say the least. After doing that it just about burnt me out of working on the truck to the point I took a 3 month break from it.

I finally got the motivation again (thanks chris, bruce) to get back on it. I had my cousin and brother in law with me and boy what a difference it makes when you have an army (more or less a weak fire team) of people helping you. You get things done that would normally take a month of here and there work.

Things we got done:

-Starter put back in with wiring
-new bell housing firmly bolted to motor
-flywheel bolts tightened and installed
-main drivesshaft re-installed (which busted my nose and I should of gotten stiches.)

BTW, here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

Cdub

Hi Jason,

Keep wrenching along my friend............you got over some real difficult parts of the project and I hope you headed down easy street soon..........I'll be watching along the way until your finished.............! ! !

Cheers,

Craig

halftrack

Thanks Craig. I saw your post about your truck axles and I am saving it in case when it is time for me to work on my axles / brakes. keep up the good work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks