• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Advertiser

No.2Diesel

RE: Smart advertising

My feelings can be summed up by a line used regularly by the superhero Toastman (or was it the talking horse character?) from Ren & Stimpy: "No Sir, I don't like it."

Prices will approach Barrett Jackson insanity :) M35A2Cs will be going for $150,000. This will lure in all the Silicon Valley CEOs with too much money :)

This is good for the website and not good for the consumer.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Smart advertising

M1075 said:
You know what would really be nice? If a GL rep from their HQ would monitor the boards and respond to questions/issues that may arise. IIRC, on the old mil-veh list there was a higher up who understood the pool of MV customers and he would bend over backwards to help anyone out. For example, a local site starting listing items in large lots (20 towbars for example) and after someone requested, the next day they would be seperated into 10-20 differrent lots. Surely, someone monitors the site (or they wouldn't advertise here). I would just like to have access to someone who can make a difference.
Perhaps the folks who process the EUC's could do this....... :wink: :lol:

chevycrew

RE: Re: RE: Smart advertising

I am for and against the idea...but the against really doesnt matter as the stuff i look at would be found by everyone anyway. Bad thing for me is I have to compete with Idaho Motorpool if i want to purchase a local truck.

The positive, everytime I buy something from GL, I know that they are spending a little part of that supporting this great site!!!

Be cool to have a way to track the sheer amount of $ GL brings in each year from steel soldiers members.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

My main concern here is to make sure there are not going to be any restrictions that come with this on bashing GL when they screw us. If it is still a free for all then I am for it. If not then the site will lose much credibility with me. As far as having a new advertizer though I am happy as it will help support the site.

mangus580

M1075 said:
You know what would really be nice? If a GL rep from their HQ would monitor the boards and respond to questions/issues that may arise.
Part of the agreement :D and in the works. It may be a few weeks yet before the details are ironed out on that.

badgmc56

I don't understand what the problem is.We all know what the rules are about GL. If you think their screwing us then why buy from them. Anyone that bids on something site unseen must know they could be setting themselves up to be screwed.I would never buy from GL unless I could check it out first or have someone who knows what their doing check it for me. As for bidding on the same trucks, I'm sure no one here would do it intentionaly. And so what if you loose an item to someone else. That means he wanted it more than you! There are so many MVs out there if you can't find the right one , your either not looking hard enough of too cheap to pay a fair price.The advertisement is ok wth me. If it generates money then move forward.

chuck500cc

Newby question...but...Why can you bid and win at GSA and they will have you stuff setting out front two days later and GL has the Sara Brady wiating period? Not bashing, just don't know. Thanks.

Chuck XD Fan

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I am for a couple of things - first, glad to know that SS and Chris have a revenue stream.

Second, glad GL is getting this exposure - I'd love to see surplus trucks go for a hundred grand each - my taxes would certainly go down!

Regards,
David

Michael

on the old mil-veh list there was a higher up who understood the pool of MV customers and he would bend over backwards to help anyone out.
I remember him. While he did a lot of good, he didn't last too long before he was laid off or fired.

Michael

Why can you bid and win at GSA and they will have you stuff setting out front two days later and GL has the Sara Brady wiating period?
It is either for the same reason that if any dealer buys it and goes through the EUC process and then sales it, he doesn't have to have you go through the EUC process. He just has to notify you that there are restrictions on the items sale and he is suppose to keep up with your name and address so if it is recalled he can tell the government were to find it. The dealer is also suppose to follow a list of rules in resaleing it. Or the other possibility is that, like a lot of other things, GSA, a branch of the government, doesn't have to follow many of the rules that they require us to follow. In either case, I bet that if DRMO comes looking for it, GSA will have your name and address for them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bottom line is this folks! This site takes revenue to run. We do get alot of donations but they don't always meet the expenses. This also helps cover improvements on the site and added features. I doubt that there is a soul on here that doesn't already peruse the GL auctions. So if we are already shopping there, whats the big deal? And for the folks that don't like dealing with them, you don't have to. This is a big financial boost for the website folks, be happy.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree. We are not going to get trucks for free. If it helps the site who cares. If anyone remotely believes they just lost a 50$ truck they are crazy. Those who want the trucks will look for and find them. I truely welcome GL and any other vendors here. Just think if a GL rep periodically checks this site, maybe they will start looking at the collectors not just the big buyers and start catering towards us. :wink:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

gimpyrobb said:
Does the gubment really get that much back from the auctions Dave?
I have read the contracts, in great detail, although not recently, and have reported the precise percentages here on SS. Unfortunately, I'm not very good with this site's search function - so tonight you'll have to settle for my memory.

The government gets something like 93% (corrected to 78.2 -see post below) of the money, INCLUDING the buyers premium, after expenses.

I'll try to dig up the exact numbers sometime this weekend - but the above is real close.

Regards,
David

gmayor

I'm for it! Just need to do a "Saw it on Steelsoldiers" discount. I know you guys will use the $ to improve the site.Just make sure you have someone knowledgeable to go over the contract, my .02 from experience.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No.2Diesel said:
My feelings can be summed up by a line used regularly by the superhero Toastman (or was it the talking horse character?) from Ren & Stimpy: "No Sir, I don't like it."

Prices will approach Barrett Jackson insanity :) M35A2Cs will be going for $150,000. This will lure in all the Silicon Valley CEOs with too much money :)

This is good for the website and not good for the consumer.
If that's the case I've got a m35a2c for sale for $145,000 ( that's a $5,000 discount). Wait there's more. If you act now I'll throw in a m105a2 FREE ( thats a $175,000 value for just $145,000). Operators are standing buy. :lol:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Ok, so my memory is not so good - the Government gets 78.2 % of the money - to quote from the GAO audit on the topic of the Buyer's Premium:

"Issue 6. Buyer’s Premium
The complainant alleged that, “Government Liquidation is adding a 10-percent buyer’s premium to each sale, excluding only negotiated sales and term contracts.” The complainants question this practice because they never paid a buyer’s premium when purchasing surplus parts from DRMS and feel that Government Liquidation is not merely occupying the role of a commercial auctioneer and should therefore not be allowed to charge the premium.

Audit Results. The allegation has no particular adverse effect on small businesses. Although it is true that Government Liquidation does add a 10-percent buyer’s premium to sales, the requirement is not restricted to small businesses. DRMS receives the same percentage of the premium (78.2 percent) as they do of the base amount of the sale. "

Also, from the same GAO report:

"Sale of DoD Surplus Property. DRMS literature generally states that DRMS receives 80 percent of the monthly net proceeds from the sale of property at and that the commercial venture contractor receives 20 percent. Government Liquidation sells the property, collects the funds, and pays for all the direct and indirect costs associated with selling the property. Each month, Government Liquidation distributes net proceeds from the sales after costs based on its cash balance, less certain adjustments such as estimated cash needs for the next month. The financial advisor is entitled to 2.25 percent of the DRMS proceeds; therefore, the financial advisor receives 2.25 percent of the DRMS 80 percent, or 1.8 percent of the cash to be distributed. As a result, DRMS actually receives 78.2 percent of the cash to be distributed. Figure 2 shows the distribution of adjusted net proceeds from the commercial venture program. Surplus Acquisition Venture’s overall profit is the 20-percent contractor distribution minus the initial payment for the property." NOTE - THE INITIAL PAYMENT AMOUNT LISTED HERE IS THE AMOUNT SHOWN ON THE SF-97.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks