• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Advertiser

surpdlr

Re: RE: Smart advertising

Michael said:
on the old mil-veh list there was a higher up who understood the pool of MV customers and he would bend over backwards to help anyone out.
I remember him. While he did a lot of good, he didn't last too long before he was laid off or fired.
That would have been David Wright, and yes they canned him. He was the Last person in Levy Latham / Government Liquidation to give a hoot about customer service!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello all,
Many of you know, as Steel Soldiers grows larger, so do our expenses. We are not satisfied with mediocrity. We are constantly looking into new software and hardware changes that will improve the overall SS.com experience. All of these things cost money. Mike is a really sharp programmer and deserves to be paid as such. Graham gives us large discounts on hosting/serve maintenance fees. We are hoping to implement some really neat things in 2008. Advertising is our main source of income right now. The donations are GREAT, but they only cover a fraction of our expenses. If we want to keep growing and developing SS.com, then we must bring in ad revenue. Mike has developed a first class ad banner system for the site. This is going to allow us to more effectively recruit and maintain advertisers. Expect to see more large corporate accounts as well as our faithful small-business accounts this year. I expect a little patience and understanding on the part of our membership as we go through these changes. It is for the good of the site and the hobby.

Thanks,
Chris

chuck500cc

Not knowing any better. I had been looking at "inexpensive" 4x4's for deer lease and land management activities and I found GL from another website I am with. I was getting ready to spend $10,000-$12,000 for a used 4x4. So I guess a good running M35 for, let's say, $2000 is not bad and if I dump another $2500 in it to get it like I want it I come out pretty good, right? Anyway, you get lots of looks in an M35 and I won't care about the ranch stripes.

Chuck XD Fan

Cdub

Re: RE: New Advertiser

alphadeltaromeo said:
Excellent move for SS...GL advertising = GL $$

Well done Mangus!
Here......Here..........!!

Well done guys.........!!

Being recognized by the GL could have some great advantages.

Cheers,

C'dub

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: New Advertiser

I am happy it will bring revenue to the site and get mangus and others on some kind of payroll for there efforts.They do allot of work. Maybe even help premote some future SS events.
On the other hand GL knows what they are doing and it will bring them lots more money. There is no doubt it will inflate prices on the items heavely advertized and bring more traffic to others that are not. It will be interesting to see what the stuff on the banner ad sells for. I know most of the stuff that they advertize in MV mag brings a high dollar amount compared to the stuff you have to dig for, therefore I believe it will improve SS but will cost the collector/hobbiest more money to purchase things from GL. They know what they are doing and I only wish they would put that much effort into customer service instead of iron clad contracts that in no way protect the buyer from loosing his wallet.. :D
Any talk about donating some of the rare stuff to a future SS museum/fleet? What you got cooking Chris?
I have only been doing GL for 5 years and have seen the prices go way up in just that short of time. I talk with the oldtimers who own Military Surplus stores and they sure miss the old auctions you had to get in your car and drive too. They would all go in on lots and split them up sometimes getting trucks for $50 plus buyers fee and tax of coarse. Many of us have purchased trucks and equipment after digging through pages of GL auctions and I only got lucky when they had huge amounts going out and the big dogs left some for us peasants.. There are a allot of people in this country that would not bat a eye to pay 20K to 30K for a deuce and we just handed them the know how.. hence the un registered members.
I am only voicing my concerns and dont need a bunch of flack over it just good old down home discussion. I am not happy about it but will continue to premote SS and enjoy and learn from the mostly good group of guys and gals we have on here. The bad ones well you know who you are! lol
The only thing I need now is the cure for OD fever. I could put up a banner ad for it and sell it to all you addicts or your wives and retire a wealthy man. Unless GL buys me out only to mothball the syrom but I will still retire a wealthy man. :grd: The lab is up and running now under the cover of bio fuel..

kinetichotshot

I think it is great!!! I am now thinking of getting together with a few of the other transport companies that I work with ad maybe we will put up an ad here too. I certainly wouldn't mind being in the niche market of transporting for all of you. If there is anything specific that you guys have found from previous transporters that would make one better than another for these old MV's please feel free to let me know... Also, how do I get info on how to advertise here? Founder or Mod feel free to contact me...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

SasquatchSanta

Somehow I doubt that GL advertising on SS really will increase the price of vehicles. If it does then all of our vehicles will be worth more money --- "A Rising Tide Raises All Boats".

As a taxpayer, I have to say that even with all of GLs faults, I'm glad to see something connected with the government be aggressive in getting the most it can get returned to the taxpayers coffers. It's refreshing.

I always find it interesting how we (me included) will scream to high heaven when a government program is being inefficient and wasteful and yet when there is a chance of our own ox being gored by by a government program clean-up, as is the case here, we tend to sing a different tune.

I can't imagine the amount of bandwidth the SS side chews up every month. Bandwidth isn't cheap. I'm elated about the GL advertising deal with SS.

From a big-picture standpoint as I feel it will help more people into the hobby. There is safety in numbers. The larger the hobby is the easier it will be to combat things like what is happening in Wisconsin.

As for fears that Deuces will double in price over night, I'm reminded of Mark Twain's words: "I am an old man and have known many problems. Most of them never happened."

Respectfully Submitted,

citizensoldier

Well a deuce at this time regardless of shape averages about 4K in parts if you want to strip it down. You used to be able to pick one up for $500 to $800 on GL.. Some do still sell that cheap but with a increase in bidders through advertizing this will cease. I have ventured into trying to make some money buying and selling parts or whole trucks. I also know others on here have done the same. This will raize the price of parts on down the line therefor causing people in the hobby more money to buy them. It has been bad enough with fuel and transportation of trucks lately to even try and make a buck. The good deals have dwindled unless you get lucky. The more people that are aware of the deals to be had on GL the less market out there for people trying to buy one cheap fix it up and re-sell it. Why would someone on ebay or in the auto swapper give you 5k and up for a nice truck when they know you can get one for 2K by sitting home on your computer and watching banner ads.
Prices have gone up already. Its the differnce between putting out a auction add in your local town or putting out a auction ad in the whole country.. And nobody has to drive to the auction site..

"As a taxpayer, I have to say that even with all of GLs faults, I'm glad to see something connected with the government be aggressive in getting the most it can get returned to the taxpayers coffers. It's refreshing."
I would need to see further proof that this money makes it back to the government or taxpayer needs. GL is a subcontractor to the government. Same as the guys making the $300 dollar toilet seats. The big picture is the government is still being wasteful.. Have you checked the price tags on what they paid for the stuff they scrap or auction off.. We are loosing anyway you look at it.
I just want to premote the hobby not price myself out of it so its back to only the chosen few.
"Sqeeky wheel gets the grease" "Loose lips sink ships" no matter what tide is coming in..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things have been getting more expensive since the evolution of the free market. Anything that doesn't go up is being poorly marketed. Heck, GL was a bigger hit to surplus sales than GL Advertising here will ever be. I remember buying deuces for a few hundred dollars, those days are gone as is fuel at 75 cents a gallon. GL has been marketing the stuff since they took over. If they didn't market here, they may take their money to a publication targeting elements of the earthmoving industry. That could spell even higher prices. Look at it this way. They are advertising in a forum where everyone already knows who they are. Thats another reason its so hard to flip trucks here, everyone already knows what you paid for the most part. Why would I want to buy a truck from seller x for $2500 when I can just go where he did and pay $1100. I just don't see it driving up the price of surpus by virtue of the advertising here. Just to prove my point about everyone knowing about GL. Search those 2 letters GL, and see how many hits you get here.

citizensoldier

I thought there contract was up at the end of last year? Did they renew it? There could be some pluses for us but I am a skeptic for the most part..
I am not trying to be negative about this just exsplore all avenues.. Sure wish I had a yard full of them cheap deuces..Has there been any talk about offering SS some stuff at a discount to preserve history? Maybe lets say.. 1000 NOS hard tops.. or maybe some rebuilt LDS 465 1A's... :D
Thats kind of my point is anyone thinking about buying a army truck can swing in and see whats coming up for sale.It reminds them of auction end dates and so on. They dont have to register to see this info and dont have to do any leg work.. Well finger work.. More bidders = bidding wars= higher prices..EX = Egay. I have seen this with the stuff they show on there own banner ads and in MV magazine. That stuff sells for almost new prices..Mangus said we have 4000 registered users.. I wonder how many unregistered people swing in.. Like I said I see both sides but personaly dont like it.. I guess its back to pounding nails for me.. Oh shoot the housing market was flooded too and fell to crap.. Hmmm.. Fir prices are down so trapping is out, fuel and insurance is up so trucking is out, no snow anymore so plowing it will starve you for sure, GM! Oops no more of them jobs here.. Man.. Could go to Alabama or Fl and build some houses for the next hurricain to take.. Nope the insurance companys arent paying and screwing people right and left.. Ughhhh. Alaska maybe? Maybe Westy has it right.. Join the service and play with all the stuff when its new.. Nope cant do that either.. compressed verdi's, bad knees, and so on.. Yep I am screwed..

Armada

Here's an idea to generate a bit more $$ for SS. As part of our advertising contract with GL, maybe we could also arrange the yearly donation of a MV from them and put it up for auction on our site with the proceeds to go for SS expenses. They get to write it off and we get the revenue. Just thinking out loud......

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL can't give away or donate or write off surplus. It has to be sold IAW the contract. If they don't advertise here the advertising money will go elsewhere.

m.walker

I've gotten some really good deals at GL and I think you couldn't find a better market for them to advertise in ! Welcome aboard GL , you should have done it sooner !

By the way , everything in my profile came from GL or GSA .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is BS. I am completely against this. I thought the GL moderators were against posting info on upcoming auctions and now they advertise with GL?!?! This does not make sense to me at all. I understand that it takes money to run this site, but this goes against the previous rules that Westfolk and others have alluded to earlier...I guess everyone can now post info on auctions. I wish I could use more strong words MANGUS. Let;s talk at Aberdeen.

Blake

posting

I agree with Kubu. Is SS for or opposed to posting GL auctions? If this is the case, SS ought to offer an immediate apology to all the people who were shut down on previous posts. I understand that it takes money to run. I feel this has been in the works for a while. A deal like this does not happened overnight. Is SS willing to sleep with the devil to make money? Does SS really need to pimp itself out?

mhb285

everybody is trying to make a buck off everybody else. Phuck GL. Lets stick with the origional SS rule, no talking about GL auctions. The site was just fine before the sellout to GL.
But thats just my opinion....

papercu

gl

mil-veh list there was a higher up who understood the pool of MV customers
He would try to help but if you remember right after that, GL fired him. I doubt anyone else will step up to the plate. Wayne

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: gl

I will volunteer to try and fill that spot. Someone said a GL member will be along soon. Please feel free to contact me about making your company a better place to buy from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks