• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Data Plate Source

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update (again): I have 5 of the winch brake dataplates coming my way...! (via snail-mail which hopefully won't take forever...)

I will try them out and post results and pic once there is at least one installed.
For anyone not wanting to wait that long I'd suggest contacting this company, directly.

Also, my initial idea for group-orders was out of question, after he said that the price for each would be the same, for 3 or for 30 pieces !
Finally, these are made with "Durablack" material (at the same price) and said to have come out real nice... !?
Will see....

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... wish I had - still waiting for that!
Our mail has been terribly slow, lately: I'm still expecting a quart of DOT5, purchased 07/05/12 !!!:-x

G.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered several plates.

I have ordered a winch data plate, a pto winch shift lever data plate for the cab, a authorized fuels plate, and a dash data plate for the air Warning buzzer with PTO winch operation and have been very pleased with the results.

Will be ordering more plates for the M35A2 @ and M43B1 vehicles.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh... well, your truck certainly deserved it...!:)

(Although, according to USPS's tracking it's still somewhere, in transit....)

G.

dataplatesnet

Just an update, hope your guys got your dataplates I sent out. Also, I've made a few more and have found a pretty good system for recreating the originals. It does require that someone has an original in good shape, and a scanner. I can convert the 600 DPI black and white or grayscale scans back into bitmaps and I've been very pleased with how the have turned out.

Greg

Capt.Marion

Just an update, hope your guys got your dataplates I sent out. Also, I've made a few more and have found a pretty good system for recreating the originals. It does require that someone has an original in good shape, and a scanner. I can convert the 600 DPI black and white or grayscale scans back into bitmaps and I've been very pleased with how the have turned out.

Greg
Hey Greg--

Out of idle curiosity, do you have any pictures of the finished products for some of the dataplates that you've recreated, as you mentioned above?

I'm just eager to see how they are turning out (I've always been one for pictures, anyways!).

3dAngus

Can you put them up on your website for ordering purposes? Also, has anyone provided you with the info where people like me can just order a complete set for the M35A2 in one package?

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that would like to order a complete set and save them the trouble of researching one here and one there like I'm doing now. MVDataplates had a complete set but he is out of pocket and doesn't respond.

It would be nice to see someone step up to the plate and take over his business so we could all enjoy the plates from a single source with ease.

If you don't have a complete package, can you at least tell us what you can make today from artwork done on previous orders for the M35A2 deuce?

dataplatesnet

I just laid out most of the plates for an M35 A2. The plates that were sent to me weren't originals so I made some executive decisions on the reworking. If you want to see the layouts
send me an email. orders@dataplates.net took about 3 hours so I really hope this wasn't for a one time deal.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just laid out most of the plates for an M35 A2. The plates that were sent to me weren't originals so I made some executive decisions on the reworking. If you want to see the layouts
send me an email. orders@dataplates.net took about 3 hours so I really hope this wasn't for a one time deal.

If they're good enough, I am sure you'll see enough to justify the time and make some profit.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice!

I suspect you can only do one color (+ aluminum/silver) at a time...?
Guess you still want to see originals, scanned, for more details!?

All those you made are to be drilled and fixed via screws or rivets, exclusively, so for me at least I would like to see them framed WITH the quarter circles in the corners, following around the screw heads; to really look identical.

Took a quick picture of some, here, for comparison of the corner areas.

G.

Attachments

dataplatesnet

Basically I charge by the square inch. Typically $1.00 per square inch that covers the set-up time for making a new plate. After that its .50 to 60 cents a square inch depending on the material.
The above is missing a 2.25 x 13 inch plate. Ran out of material. To run all 6 of those plates will be $65 to $75. You can thank one of the members here (not sure his forum name) for sending me his plates and footing the set-up bill.

Last edited:

dataplatesnet

Hey Gringel, whats up? Yeah I can only do one color at a time, well not totally true I could sublimate them onto aluminum in color (in fact a couple of the ones sent to me where done that way, and the color is pretty much gone, so they must be old, newer sublimation inks are pretty resistant to UV rays) We could explore doing plates that way, but I've been under the impression that we are trying to stick to a more traditional look. I can frame the screw holes without a problem, but the plates I was sent didn't have any of that. All I need to know is the size of the outer border (1/8" or whatever) and how big the dimension of the circle that goes into the corner. That is all that is, a black circle laid into the corner to give it the notched look. I can guess at it, but I double the holes would line up very well. Speaking of holes, understand I'm shearing the plates by hand, so they will vary in size slightly, in fact I'm actually trying to get them about 1/16 inch larger in hopes that the extra area will cover up any blemish or what not from taking the originals off. Really best way of getting them to fit back on any give truck is for each person to do the hole drilling, your restoring them, should be just part of the fun!

Also, people have been sending me pictures and specs on these different plates. There really doesn't seem to by any standard design, I've seen them in black with silver. I've seen them like yours with black yellow and silver. I've seen all sorts of different fonts and different layouts. One guy sent me the .pdf of this truck. It has the 3 options in there as far as the payloads and weights go. As I do more of these I'll organize them into categories and put them on the webpage under MILITARY DATAPLATES.

Last edited:

dataplatesnet

I could put anything on the plates, not a big deal. I'll have to figure out hot to add a sig.

dataplates.net is the site. I don't have all the military stuff on there, I'll work on that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks