• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Data Plate Source

3dAngus

It would be nice to have my serial number put in there.

Is it possible to add the serial number now that the plates have already been made? I know it is really difficult to read on the plate itself. It looks like it was just scribed in there rather t han stamped, unless I have my vehicles mixed up. I'm not familiar with the process.

Also, wasn't there 7 plates in the package I sent you? Maybe I'm counting that 13" plate as two based on some info you gave me previously about maybe having to split it in half as it is over the 12" length.

In any case, they look real good. Looking forward to receiving and installing them.

Folks, I got an extra set and will have the set on display at the Georgia Rally. If anyone wants it, they can have it for the cost of the two sets divided by two. Might be cheaper to order direct, but this way you get to see it first hand before you buy. I'll have ordering info at the Rally as well if you like them. I don't profit from the order. It all goes to dataplatesnet.

Thanks for the hard work and effort. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks that will need a few plates, especially the weight plate, which is impossible to find anymore.

dataplatesnet

I can't add the serial number now that they are done. I thought you wanted to stamp that in.
I CAN put a serial number in during the engraving process on any future items. There were
6 plates, the 7 was if I couldn't get 13 inch in the shear and we would make 2 plates out of it.

jasonjc

I have seen that are more like scratch in than engraved. I also have one that was stamped when it was in the truck. Looks like they use a BFH ,I bet I can read the numbers in the dash behind the plate.

3dAngus

My existing numbers were put in with an electric scribe by a novice on my M-37 and one of my trailers. They end up all different kinds of ways, but the best is stamped and I'll see if a trophy shop can give me that stamped look. Keep in mind he advertises you have to cut the holes yourself so it will help if you have a table top drill and block of wood to drill through on. The old faded dataplates I gave him for working with have been returned and are on the same picture for reference of the before and after.

I received the plates from dataplates.net today. It looks like he is photographing them as well, perhaps to upgrade his webpage, but it's not done yet so I'm attaching pictures so all can see what he did. It's nice to have a new vendor come in and help us out and Greg went to a lot of trouble to make this first set for us. I ordered two sets and will show one at the Ga. Rally so you can see them in person and decide for yourself in case you're thinking about changing them out. I have to with a new renovation going on. He will be sending out the last plate today which is the shift pattern for the tranny, so you don't see that one pictured. I'll also be selling one set for exactly 1/2 of what I have in the two sets. I'll be happy to keep them for my next deuce for anything less. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

Last edited:

dataplatesnet

I thought they came out pretty well. I adjusted some of the fonts a little after they came out. Each of the materials reacts differently so until I run them once its a bit of a guess. I'll add the "rounded corner" part which we call a notch. The samples I had didn't have that but I guess most of them did. Not a problem to do either way. Your shift patterns are sitting right here I'll drop them off in the mail tonight. I did get it all on one plate.

renovate7

While it's easy to drill the small holes in the corners you miight try a hollow punch for bigger holes like the preheater. This is aluminum and if you have a sharp punch and hard solid backing it may make a cleaner hole. if you could jig it up in a shop press rather than using a hammer it will be even better. Just a thought...I've seen serial numbers put on with everything from an electric pencil to individual hand stamped charecters, which are always uneven. The best results, for what is available to me, is the trophy shop. You need to make sure they actually engrave and not laser etch. The engraving is deep, laser not. They should also have different fonts available. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

3dAngus

Here is what I currently have for the M35A2 in the proper colors more or less.
I put a price for the full set.

View attachment 365527
Wow. That's quite a set. Thanks Greg. I hope it helps your business as much as it helps us.

And he has scaled down sets as well, in case you don't have all the features of this one set. I only purchased 7 dataplates for mine, but now see I need a couple more but I'll get those elsewhere as they are weird cuts.

I'm happy with mine. Looking forward to receiving the last one with the gears as I finished painting the interior and it's ready to go. Should be in tomorrow. Thanks again.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, its known that good things take good time.... FINALLY my famous winch CAUTION, DO NOT.... plates did arrive! (sent on their way 08/23 and received 10/03 - talk about snail-mail...!:mad:)

Pic 1 shows the plate as it came, holes drilled- (NOT punched out...!)- and just pop-riveted in place.
Pic 2 are the same plates, but with several coats of clear (satin) PU-lacquer applied, hopefully adding some extra protection without "yellowing" too soon...? Time will tell!

My comments - for what I got so far:
1) very precisely engraved lines and characters, really!;
2) exact overall dimensions and holes-placement;
3) thickness of this aluminum is about 2/3 of the original plates. My initial concern was deformation of the plate from using fasteners only and no glue, but found this was not a problem.
4) corner radius on these is a tad to much. This is something we had discussed already and I knew about... not an issue anymore, since customers will have to drill holes and cut the corners round, themselves.

All in all I must say I'm very satisfied with this new supplier's prompt service and his product that I finally received![thumbzup]

This particular plate should be added to the earlier posted "full set" collection and/or a "front winch- full set"!!

G.

Attachments

3dAngus

I drilled out the holes for mounting today but will mount tomorrow instead.
I'm very happy with the set and work but in all fairness should say the yellow and black tranny shift pattern at 13" is far superior so I ordered that one seperately online for $20 shipped. That one is readily available (today).

Its nice to see this vendor come in and work so hard for us. Hope it pays for all. I know I will go back to him for these and more.

dataplatesnet

Thanks guys, I'm guessing a little when I make these. After I see what comes out I make adjustments to what doesn't look quite right to me. I figured the yellow black tranny plate would be iffy. Not sure what process they are using to do that.

dataplatesnet

Here is a pdf image of everything I've got so far. Ringeltaub did some proofreading for me but see if I've missed anything. Tomorrow I'm doing an entire run of all these plates. I'll take a picture of them and then post the pdf for pricing as well as a photo of the plates on my website. From there as people order the different configurations I'll save them with the proper info.
View attachment m35a2_web_image.pdf

Last edited:

markmontana

Here is a pdf image of everything I've got so far. Ringeltaub did some proofreading for me but see if I've missed anything. Tomorrow I'm doing an entire run of all these plates. I'll take a picture of them and then post the pdf for pricing as well as a photo of the plates on my website. From there as people order the different configurations I'll save them with the proper info.
View attachment 365987
Thanks! Nice

dataplatesnet

Allrighty, on my website dataplates.net under the vehicle tab I have the full set with pictures.
Also, would the people I sent the sets to drop me an email and let me know how they fit and what not. I want to fix any sizing problems asap. Thanks guys!

3dAngus

The fit worked out fine with mine. No issues, nor none with having to drill the end holes for the screws.

I didn't have anything but a bench drill to drill the holes and it worked fine for all except the big center hole on the flame thrower switch. I didn't have a punch, so people need work out a plan to cut that larger hole out where it is clean and perfectly centered. I'm not sure of the best method. Mine came out fair, but it is off center a tad and wobbled due to using the wrong size drill bit. It was my fault for the most part. I'm no machinist.

In any case, I'm HAPPY! Thanks again.
Folks, again, I'll have a set at the Ga. Rally if you want to see the quality and decide for yourself. One set will be for sale for what I have in it, and after it is gone, I'll have paper cutouts with his name and website and phone number on it if you want to order when you get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks