• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tire Setup on Deuce

M1075

I have been running Michelin 11R20 XL tires on my deuce in dual configuration and have been very pleased with their performance. Today, I got a wild idea to swap out the 11R20s in the front for 14.5R20s on M35A3 wheels. Tire diameter is the same and I thought the wider tire in the front might look good. What do you guys think? Yeah or nay?

Attachments

M1075

Re: RE: New Tire Setup on Deuce

tbrenner said:
Looks good but shouldn't the left tire be flipped around.[/quote

Yeah, probably. Even though I think these are non-directional, it would look better flipped. The tires were already on the rims and I just bolted them on to see what it would look like. The truck drives nice and smooth up to at least 60.

breelanr

Re: RE: New Tire Setup on Deuce

tbrenner said:
Looks good but shouldn't the left tire be flipped around.
They look better facing the same direction, but if you look at a M35A3 - all of the tires are mounted the same on the wheel. The tires on the right have tread in one direction and the tires on the left in the other.

rmgill

RE: Re: RE: New Tire Setup on Deuce

I'd agree it looks nice. However, now you have to carry two different types of spares.

How much did the XLs cost?

M1075

The truck handles very well. I was expecting some rumble or vibrations, but didn't notice anything. I think the best tire combos for a deuce are Michelin 11R20 XL (duals) or Michelin 14.5R20 XL (singles). I just merged the two. The 1100s came on the truck and I bought the 14.5s through GL for a couple hundred bucks. I would like to get more of each tire. Since they are the same diameter, I could carry one spare. I think I have an NDCC on there now. If I keep the 14.5s, I've got two more spares!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Looks very nice. The wider fronts balance out the 11R20 duals in the rear. I say keep it!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the front, but love the rears. Looks good.

citizensoldier

Looks very nice to me. I do have a couple questions. I was told you can not run the 11.00/20 Michelin XL radials in the dual configeration because under a load they can rub? Do you ever load this truck and drive it very far? I guess the sidewalls on a radial realy flex and will cause heat and a blow out. Just wonder if you ever noticed any problems because I would like to do this with my M109.. I like the look but think it would look better and perform better with the 14.00's and A3 rims all the way around.. Just MHO.. Nice truck... like it allot...

M1075

This Army installed the 11R20 duals on it. Some people say it can't work, but it has so far. I have only carried a couple tons with it, though. If tire failures exist, I'll be sure to report back. I think 14.5s all the way around would be good. I just don't have that many A3 rims.

Bjorn, I'm not sure what the weight distribution. Maybe I can get it across the scales soon. With the winch, it is probably good to have the heavier tires up front.

jeli

I'd run a single 11x20 for a spare. Being the same diameter there's nothing wrong short term mixing fronts like that. It may pull a tad but beats investing in two spares.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. Love the XLs. Wished I could switch but doubt that I can afford 34 of them. I've been seriously considering switching everything here to 1100x20 NDTs. Hmm?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks