• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tire Setup on Deuce

Jones

Tread direction on the new radials is non-directional (as per article in PS mag) so appearance aside they should do fine.
As far as larger sizes on a dual set-up go: After several calls to commercial tire shops in our area and one to Michelin; the general opinion is that since the inner and outer turn in unison, there isn't any "rubbing". At the bottom of rotation when the tread(s) meets the road surface, the tires just try to expand into each other's space and momentarily push against the other tire's sidewall. The real culprit in tire failures is underinflation which causes the sidewalls to overflex and that generates enough heat to be a problem.

Katch1

all you have to do is send them to me and I'll give you a full test of them, free of charge of course!

Looks like a very well thought out set-up, just a little jelous

yeager1

In reply to:
They look better facing the same direction, but if you look at a M35A3 - all of the tires are mounted the same on the wheel. The tires on the right have tread in one direction and the tires on the left in the other.
The military mounts them "wrong" on purpose, it's not a random mistake. The reasoning is that with a directional tread pattern mounted the right way (all pointing in the same direction) the tracks left behind on the ground will tell the enemy the direction of travel of the truck. With them mounted in opposite directions you get 1 tire track coming and 1 tire going and don't give away your travel direction.

As far as the look of the truck goes, I like it. I always liked the look of XL duels on the rears, but the front end just looked weird due to the front tires looking so skinny. With the wider front tires it looks good and I'm sure it floats alot better in the soft stuff.

yorkgulch2

The 14.5's on the front look great though the narrower 1100's are better in snow. Is the backspacing on the a3 wheels still 10 inches?
I hope mine don't stick out past the fenders much further than yours (395/85R20 goodyear)

jatonka

Gotta say I am on the lookout for 14.5R20s and 11.00R20s as right now. I love your setup. I figure 11" rims are good for the 14.5s, any body agree? JT

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad the rubbing issue is somewhat clarified now. Mine don't rub at 65PSI and 6500 LBS in the bed, but if I deflated them some they would. I think the issue would be worse at high temperatures and highway speeds. Those ites look really good on that truck. Is there the rubbing issue on the left side while turning when the A3 rims are used?

Blythewoodjoe

Well, I made a 12 hour round trip yesterday to Alma GA and picked up the last 5 good 14.5' that the guys had for $50 each. One is pretty bald but I figured it would make a good spare. Good 4 11.00's to put on bob the deuce right now while I hunt or make rims for the 14.5's.

You guys mention backspacing, is that the distance from the back of the rim/tire to the face where it bolts to the truck? Can you put a tube in the 14.5 and if so where would you get tubes? If tubes will work I think I might try to cut a 3.5" section of a dayton rim and weld it to the outside of a stock rim. I was a pipe welder for many years.

Any thought?
Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC

Blythewoodjoe

OK, you guys got me fired up. I think I will make a "test" rim this week. The only thing holding me up would be an inner tube and flap. That is if you can use a tube in the 14.5. I noticed the 11.00 by 20 tires have stamped on the side that you can use an inner tube. This is not on the 14.5 anywhere I can find. Also, do you have to use a radial tube? Seems like in my teenage days in the early 80's I used inner tubes in some tires but you had to use radial tubes in a radial tire. Of course I could be confused.

Now all I need to do is find time to finish my dump conversion, get one of the 5 tons ready to sell, get my fire truck road worthy, get my tax stuff to my accountant and hire a new helper. And I'm crazy enough to think about driving one of these things to Aberdeen.

Joe Trapp

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And I'm crazy enough to think about driving one of these things to Aberdeen.
Do it Joe!

And ride out here to Atlanta and ride North with all of us.

Blythewoodjoe

I have been thinking of some way to make a set of rims for my truck and thought to myself if there were any tractor rims out there that might be modified to fit these tires. And behold today I was a ditch witch with what would appear to be workable rims. What say the group on the use of off road rims parts on a deuce? I have a plan and hope to find some samples to experiment on soon. I don't want to do anything to be myself killed but I feel it important to point out I am a certified pipe welder. Never welded on 20 pipe before but there is first time for everything. Here's some pictures of the wheel in question.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks