• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tire Setup on Deuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone thought of using McCord Terra Tire Group for rims? The made my 15x13 6 on 7 3/4 rims many moons ago for my M715 axled truck. They can made most plate center wheels. We got 20x20 wheel cans for a Toyota with deuce axles we built in the 80s. Perhaps not DOT but worth a look.
http://www.mccordtiregroup.com/splash.asp

Blythewoodjoe

Does any one have a source for inner tubes for the 14.5 tires. I have modified a rim and the inner tube I bought is definitely the wrong size. I am uncomfortable enough with the rim modification, I don't care to use the wrong tube too.

Joe Trapp

rdixiemiller

Blythewoodjoe said:
Does any one have a source for inner tubes for the 14.5 tires. I have modified a rim and the inner tube I bought is definitely the wrong size. I am uncomfortable enough with the rim modification, I don't care to use the wrong tube too.

Joe Trapp
Joe
If you are a decent welder, your rims will be fine. As for tubes, I have heard people use 1100R tubes, and 1200R tubes with equal success. I am not sure if anyone actually makes a specific 14.50R20 tube, but as long as you use a radial tube you should be fine. You might want to ask JATonka, he has been making these rims for a while. See which tubes he uses.

DMgunn

Joe,

I would be very hesitant to use the Ditch Witch wheels on a deuce in any on-road application. Hard to tell for sure, but looks like the centers are mostly, if not completely, flat. I seriously doubt they would hold up to the relatively high lateral forces created by the combination of speed and weight in a corner. Especially if there are two axles trying to push straight ahead (not in your case, I realize).

I saw your wheel build on the other thread. Looks great - can't wait to see widened wheels on all four corners. I also have some old Daytons that don't have anything better to do.............now if I can just talk a local machine shop into doing this for me. Keep us posted on your (hopefully) success.

Blythewoodjoe

I had entertained the thought of just using part of the ditch witch wheel and welding it to a regular deuce wheel. After thinking it over I realized that would probably not work and I called ditch witch and the rims where $400 each. That de-railed that train real quick. I would really like some tubeless wheels, but it looks like the home made rims are going to be the most affordable, and at the end of the day you can't spend money you don't have, or at least the wife wont let you have.

Joe Trapp

DMgunn

Speaking of construction/agricultural equipment wheels, I was thinking today about, say, a Case IH 7240 with front wheel assist. This probably applies to most other makes, also. You know how the center is pressed like any other wheel, and the rim has square-tube "attaching points" welded on that the center bolts too? Now, those points are, of course, strategically placed so that the tractor can be set up for various row-crop spacings, etc, by mounting the center on one side or the other, stock or reversed. This allows four different offsets from this one wheel. I wonder if this could be applied to create an aftermarket wheel that could be D.O.T. approved. As long as the center is positively located by something other than the bolts, I think it would be do-able. The great benefit, obviously, is the ability to manufacture a minimum number of individual parts that could satisfy the maximun number of customers. Any opinions?

Blythewoodjoe

You know what might be an affordable option. Make centers that bolt up to a 6 lug bud wheel hub and have 5 or 6 points that would attach to a dayton wheel. I am thinking even as I write this that this is a bad idea, but who knows. I priced 10" wide dayton wheels new a while back and they where a couple hundred dollars each. It's all about cheap with us guys. The only good thing about this would be dot approved rims. No new technology there at least. And it's at least a chance to find some used rims.

Joe Trapp

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So how much longer could you expect an XL to last than an ND?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question about DOT approved rims. Has anyone ever had their rims inspected to see if they are DOT compliant? Just curious.

yorkgulch2

In Colorado CDOT has notified several wheel builders that they need to use a dot rim like the Dayton. They have also told them that rock rings are not street legal and people will be pulled over for running them on the road. I got this from a wheel builder in Golden.
Don't know how they can tell a real rock ring from a fake without pulling them over. There are alot of Jeeps and trucks with fakes here.

Blythewoodjoe

Well I welded up another wheel today and mounted one of the 14.5 by 20 XL's. It rained on me before I could get it on the truck but I managed to get it on in the dark. Took a few pictures. I really, really like the way they look on the front. One shot shows the 11.00 on the drivers side compared to the 14.5 on the other. I will have to take some more when it's light out side.

Joe Trapp

Attachments

ems4ty

I like it a lot! Looks wicked cool for my standards! Do have a question, being new and all to this stuff... What's that device on the front wheel shown in pic DSC_0131 (Small).JPG? Just curious. Looks like a remote tire pressure filler of some kind?!?! How does it work? And finally, just in case, any NSN on it?

Thanks,

Blythewoodjoe

ems4ty said:
What's that device on the front wheel shown in pic DSC_0131 (Small).JPG? Just curious. Looks like a remote tire pressure filler of some kind?!?! How does it work? And finally, just in case, any NSN on it?
It is what you think it is, but I don't know much about them. I don't think it's functional on that truck and I believe to round up all the parts would be quite expensive. CTI might be what's it called?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
CTIS

Central Tire Inflation System.

That is an M35A3 rim....and M35A3's had/have CTIS.....to make it functional on an M35/A1/A2 would be big bucks and mucho hassle.

I do not know the NSN of that rim........but I do know they are highly desired and thus also bring big $.

M813A1

Hello M1075 !! I like the look alot !! Would like to do something like that to my 5 Ton with a NDCC , or NDT tire if I could find some that wide !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks