• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the full meal card idea is fantastic. I hope it helps logistics.

Would a prepay option help get funds in before the rally? I'd be happy to prepay(online, PP) especially if it helps the MKT get stocked.

On site is just fine too. Just offering a suggestion/idea.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of meal developments.
1. I've already bought most of the non-perishable food, with just the perishable items left, so prepaying is not necessary. Perishables will be bought on Monday, Oct 6
2. Contacted Jason about the Low Country Boil on Wednesday, and he will not be able to attend the rally this year because of opportunities to have income on the same dates. Since he cooks for a living, it has to come before the rally in order of priority!
3. Tony Wright will be doing the coffee again this year, but will not be arriving till Thursday morning, so DH will have to either drink some hot tea for the caffeine or find someone who is making a pot that morning.
4. For those who will be going on the hardball convoy on Saturday, or know they are leaving early for other reasons the meal tickets can be purchased with specific meals already punched out, at an appropriately lower price. I suggest writing your SS name and your real name on the back of the ticket in case it is misplaced or lost.
5. Meal tickets are a simple way of prepaying but we will also be taking cash at each meal for those who do not wish to purchase in advance.

ke5eua

What's the average cost of df2 in your area right now.

Making the trip from Louisiana to drews then to the plantation then to Texas.

1600 miles total, Carnac I feel for you after doing 45 from El Paso to Florida.

ke5eua

Starting to do the math on how much cash I have to take out and the wife isn't exactly happy with me.

My cost breakdown:
50 for mkt
~30 for wrist band (spectator)
~50 for convoy lunch
~200 for lodging
40 for shirts
~980 for fuel
500 for incidentals
~300 for hotels along the trip

So far I'm at $2,120 for the trip. Being this is my first time making it I would like to get an idea of how much past rally goers have spent, and possibly how much you spent your first time going.

Thanks

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ATTENTION RALLYGOERS. Please check your archives for pics of Tigger. If you have any, please donate a few seconds of your time and print them. PRINT them please. We are having a memorial for Matthew and I'd like to load up a poster board or two and by having folks add pics and such, it keeps the memorial dynamic. Once the rally concludes, I'd like to send all the stuff we accumulate to Matthews family. We are 15 days out, expect daily reminders for the Tigger pics!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Starting to do the math on how much cash I have to take out and the wife isn't exactly happy with me.

If you want to shave that down you can camp out. Usually there is extra space in other peoples vehicles or hooches.

You can also do KP in lieu of paying for your meals. You get a free meal for every meal shift you work in the MKT. We can always use extra hands.

See me or Mike when you get to the rally.

ke5eua

:tigger:

If you want to shave that down you can camp out. Usually there is extra space in other peoples vehicles or hooches.

You can also do KP in lieu of paying for your meals. You get a free meal for every meal shift you work in the MKT. We can always use extra hands.

See me or Mike when you get to the rally.
I have been offered bed spaces but since I will only know one person there personally I'm going to bunk out on my own this time.

Trust me, I would love to help out in the MKT but I have some bad memories of KP. I'll see how it goes though.

Since the wife and kids aren't going to make it I already shaved the cost down almost 1k.

I knew it was going to be pricey, not that big of a deal. The wife gets a week without me, that's gotta count for something. Since I don't (can't) work we spend every waking / sleeping moment with each other. I think she has thought about slipping something in my drinks more than once, lol

zout

Its worth while just to hang in the main field without spending money on rides.
It does not take that much to eat wether you eat in the MKT (and trust me Mike needs the help while you get free food) He works his arse off.

Sleep on the ground - sleep in a tent - it basic survival skills where you do not expect anyone to take care of you and just come and have some fun.
For me when I hit the DZ I will be sleeping in the back of my truck in a sleeping back - small cooker and cooler of what I need for what I want - no more and no less and expect nothing from anyone.

Are the offers appreciated - you bet and I truely appreciate it and thank you.

It is an awesome Rally and one you do not want to miss and to top it off the vendor row is spectacular of what you can pick up to fix or update your MV of any sort or manner.

Just come. and Hopefully I will have my cooker operable so DH can have some fresh coffee so he is not a pia all day. Its the only way I can get him to visit me.

ke5eua

Oh I'm coming heck or high water, lol

Let me get to know everybody then the future rallies will be better, and probably cheaper. The future rallies I'll be in a M750 ;)

We already put the finds aside when we all were going to make it but since the kids just started a new school we don't want to take them out for a week just yet.

I'm used to spending this kind of money on trips when I did hotshot driving. It was nothing to drop a grand in a week on fuel alone, then the occasions when you get stiffed and you have to eat the cost, or do the good deed and take a delivery out of the kindness of your heart and you're still in the Christmas spirit, then get stuck with a demon cat in the cab of a F250 in the worst winter the year has seen. Did I mention I don't like cats.

sandcobra164

That sucks OD.

ATTENTION RALLYGOERS. Please check your archives for pics of Tigger. If you have any, please donate a few seconds of your time and print them. PRINT them please. We are having a memorial for Matthew and I'd like to load up a poster board or two and by having folks add pics and such, it keeps the memorial dynamic. Once the rally concludes, I'd like to send all the stuff we accumulate to Matthews family.

We are 16 days out, expect daily reminders for the Tigger pics!
I have a few pictures of Matt from about 2 or 3 years ago when he was trying to follow Ferro through some holes. He'd try them even after Ferro would have be drug out of them when he was piloting the M818 of Death as it came to be named. I sure hate that "Doc" will only be able to join us in "spirit" from now on but maybe he'll look over us as we get ready to hit the trails once again. I can honestly say that I never saw him sleep for the duration of the past rally's and can't recall him missing a trail ride. It was always comforting to know that we had an EMT with the real deal Medic pack when we did those rides. We need to recruit or identify another Doc in the near future. With Tigger, we always knew help was not far away.

ke5eua

Don't let sw hear that mike.

And yes Tigger will be missed.
I made the cat spend a time out in the aluminum topper on the back of the truck when I went to get a shower and dinner at a truck stop. The temp was in the single digits that night.

Me and the cat had a mutual understanding between the two of us.